Author Topic: Upgraded First Run Athearn Big Boy to LokSound  (Read 2257 times)

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
Upgraded First Run Athearn Big Boy to LokSound
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »
+2
Finally got around to a decoder and speaker upgrade in one of my Athearn Big Boys. I saw John's Challenger upgrade years ago and have been meaning to do this as I've never been fond of the OEM decoder both for sound and motor control.

There are two screws under the coal load and the rear-most water hatch. Remove two more from the bottom back-end next to the coupler and the shell will slide off. After removing the stock speaker, weight enclosure (I use that term loosely), circuit board and such, I then cut the middle post out of the tender. This leaves you with your red, white, black, orange and grey wires all tied into a stock plug. There are also wires soldiered to the tender trucks on both sides, so I tied all the red wires together and all the black feeders together. I also built styrene pads to elevate my speaker enclosure off of the uneven "floor" of the tender:

This leaves quite a bit of room so I used a CUI 13x18 cell phone type speaker in the largest custom enclosure I've done in N scale so far. I sealed up the enclosure with liquid electrical tape and coated the walls of the enclosure with a thin layer to dampen vibrations. I decided to try using cotton swab from a q-tip in the inside of the enclosure as well to further dampen things. Here is what it looks like with the LokSound Select Micro on top:

I included three SMD capacitors (not sure it is necessary with the amount of wheels touching track with this loco!) and mounted a nano LED in the rear headlamp (not shown). I snapped this photo before final button up where I cleaned up the wires a bit:

I programmed the LokSound with their latest Challenger file which sounds fantastic. The Full Throttle function is especially neat if you have some momentum programmed in (or even if you chop back the throttle very quickly) as the loco will coast a bit and the chuff sounds fall off to reflect that there is no load on the loco. Here is a clip of the sounds I took with my phone (apologies for quality and quirks!):

Overall I'm very happy. After running LokSound's CV54 motor calibration, it runs very, very smooth and crawls at speed step one. There is a noticeable difference between this and the Kato 4-8-4 844 that I did a LokSound decoder in recently. I used an 11x15 speaker in a smaller enclosure on that loco and the two are quite different. I need to get another video clip with a comparison next.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

-jamie
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:04:19 PM by lashedup »

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
Re: Upgraded First Run Athearn Big Boy to LokSound
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:52:16 PM »
Very nice, Jamie.  Sounds absolutely superb.

I think Matt Hermann has done a terrific job with the whistles in the new steam files.  And the 13x18 speaker really does benefit from a larger enclosure; I don't know what the dimensions are, but I've found that the 13x18's need 1 cubic cm (1000 cubic mm) to start sounding their best, and even larger enclosures improve the sound of these. 

This is really excellent engineering for the speaker and decoder; I need to download the new files to my own Challenger and Big Boy!

John C.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:57:58 PM by jdcolombo »

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »
Looks and sounds great! Updating mine is on my to do list
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
Ha ha, q-tip.  8)  In car audio if you can't make the woofer box big enough you stuff it with poly fill to make the sound waves bounce around.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:24:24 PM »
Ha ha, q-tip.  8)  In car audio if you can't make the woofer box big enough you stuff it with poly fill to make the sound waves bounce around.

I think you mean to stop the sound waves from reflecting off the enclosure walls and bounce around.  The fill inside those enclosures dissipates (deadens) sound waves.   I agree that it might be good idea to add some sound deadened to out tiny speaker enclosures.
. . . 42 . . .

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:42:07 PM »
That was my thinking, but I have no real data to back it up in this case.  The right frequencies seem to cause harmonic vibrations with the thinner styrene which manifest themselves as noise vibrations from time to time. I thought about baffles in the enclosure (especially in one this long). In the end I coated the walls in liquid electric tape (rubberized material) and no noisy vibrations.  Got a couple challengers to do next. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 09:45:15 PM »
That was my thinking, but I have no real data to back it up in this case.  The right frequencies seem to cause harmonic vibrations with the thinner styrene which manifest themselves as noise vibrations from time to time. I thought about baffles in the enclosure (especially in one this long). In the end I coated the walls in liquid electric tape (rubberized material) and no noisy vibrations.  Got a couple challengers to do next.

Try building the enclosure out of sheet lead (roof flashing).  Not only lead will have minimal resonance, it will also nicely increase the weight of the model (better electrical pickup).  I'm not the one who came up with this idea (I saw someone do that here on TRW), but I think it is an excellent idea.
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 10:37:27 PM »

Sorry, posted to the wrong thread.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »
Very nicely done. And you are correct about the full throttle files. I'm going to be tweaking a pair of Kato GS4's to double head both with the FT files.
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/