Author Topic: Show us your Military Trains......  (Read 6214 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
Re: Show us your Military Trains......
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 06:06:03 AM »
+1
Really nice troop train. The old Con Cor military set always tempted me. I think the 40's  would be a great era to model. There are a lot more military kits and soldiers available and even some other military RR equipment. Heck, there is an N scale Liberty ship out there. Possibilities are endless.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1880
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
+1
Yes the coupler still is the problem. We work with n scale. It doesn't take much to uncouple these with vertical movement, especially over atlas c55 frogs. I wish MT would have expanded on the z-scale 905 coupler line instead of these.
I can't make them reliable enough for my own use with long trains and helper operations.

Adam

I tested these and had zero problems. They hold insanely well. The only times I have seen them prematurely uncouple has been on uneven trackwork (way too common in the N Scale world). If I had uncoupling issues with these on my layout, I would do the same as Nick and fix the trackwork. Yes we do work in N Scale, our tolerances are smaller. But don’t blame the coupler when the problem is still your trackwork. That’s like saying a Kato runs like garbage because you refuse to clean your track.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 10:49:37 AM by jpwisc »
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 11:42:02 PM »
+1
I tested these and had zero problems. They hold insanely well. The only times I have seen them prematurely uncouple has been on uneven trackwork (way too common in the N Scale world). If I had uncoupling issues with these on my layout, I would do the same as Nick and fix the trackwork. Yes we do work in N Scale, our tolerances are smaller. But don’t blame the coupler when the problem is still your trackwork. That’s like saying a Kato runs like garbage because you refuse to clean your track.

I take it you haven't mounted these on passenger cars? Don't get me, track work adds to it but the tolerances for the couplers ate too small for long overhang cars, even on my minimum 24"radius curves. MT should have expanded upon the 905 coupler instead of these.
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 04:31:25 AM »
soo..... anybody else got military trains to shows, no matter what couplers they use?

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »
soo..... anybody else got military trains to shows, no matter what couplers they use?

I agree.
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/

ntex

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 12:50:26 AM »
+1
Here is my Big Boy and military movement on our NTRAK layout.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R9hSJOOviLHusKKLuz2qqWGxuJiTFl-b

Steve Fass

Chinapig

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 10:34:57 AM »
+3
My troop train and Big Boy on our club's oNeTrak modular layout, Solent Summit.

/>
Cheers, Ted
Ted

Member of Gosport Model Railroad Club, England: www.gosportrailroadgroup.org.uk
modeling oNeTrak modules.

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 06:28:57 AM »
Couple of things have always amused me with some available N Scale military models. Why are tanks and artillery pieces covered with a tarp? These are designed as all weather equipment. :)
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »
Couple of things have always amused me with some available N Scale military models. Why are tanks and artillery pieces covered with a tarp? These are designed as all weather equipment. :)

Maybe those are super-secret prototype military vehicles?  :D
I suspect that the real reason is that a tarp-covered vehicle is much easier to resin-mold (as a single-piece casting) than an uncovered one with all the details poking out if it. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:49:39 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

atsf3751

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »
I believe they were dipped in cosmoline and then covered with a tarp to keep them from rusting.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

atsf3751

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »
I had to clean an M2 .50cal machine gun, so I know it would be a very enjoyable experience.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1880
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »
It hadn’t made it to the train yet, but I was given permission to cast some HEMMITs a while back for a friend. I kept one for my collection. I made it this far and then... squirrel!

Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Nate Goodman's Military Train
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 09:52:10 PM »
+1
                :|Here are photos of my Military Train. The history of this train created in the 1980's is interesting. Two brothers who were members of the old Utah N Rail modeling group  (now Wasatch N Scale) put two N Scale German Leopard tanks on Micro Trains flat cars and ran them ahead of the caboose in trains at shows. After noticing the great reaction especially from kids I decided I would make a WWII military train. Problem was there was no World War II era N Scale loads out there in the 1980's so my train is a hybrid. There are Leopard tanks, two micro machines  (small size) tanks. The first three cars have loads from Birt Industries in Florida, now long gone he made some awful resin items and also some nice gems , the Jeeps and trailers, the duce and a half trucks and the modern self propelled Howitzer's . The cars are all Atlas former undec flat cars. The Red Cross trailer and the last car were from Locomotives. This train is often run at the end of freight trains at shows or as a stand alone pictured here.     Nate Goodman (Nato).  :|

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:27:08 PM by Nato »

casmmr

• Crew
  • It is a Hobby
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
+1
The trains show well and look nice, but, to be truly authentic, WWII troop trains need a couple of things:  early WWII trains used coaches for the enlisted men with pullmans and dining cars for the officers; with the introduction of the troop cars, the coaches were dropped for the troop cars, but, the officers still travelled in pullmans and ate in dining cars on real china with real silver ware.  The em's were lucky to get C or K rations while in transit.  Remember RANK has it's privileges.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »
It hadn’t made it to the train yet, but I was given permission to cast some HEMMITs a while back for a friend. I kept one for my collection. I made it this far and then... squirrel!

Ugh, I need 3 of those and like 5 or so HMWVs still
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)