Author Topic: Bachmann "shorty" passenger cars are back?!  (Read 3420 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: Bachmann "shorty" passenger cars are back?!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 10:44:29 AM »
But they have flush-mounted window "glass".  :)

You are thinking of the 21st century tooling P70 coach. The shorties are ancient tooling with non-flush glass - the tooling is probably older than most RW members!  :o

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
You are thinking of the 21st century tooling P70 coach. The shorties are ancient tooling with non-flush glass - the tooling is probably older than most RW members!  :o

Oops!  My bad!  So these are the ancient models that at some point in time had black silhouettes of passengers Tampo-printed in the window "glass"?  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 01:36:59 AM »
                :|  Hey, but the baggage combines had baggage doors that could slide open or closed, however when open the one piece  window strip attached to the roof was visible. I got all excited when Bcahmann (person) announced more companion cars, this is when all their full length HO heavy weight cars some of them PRR Prototypes were released. As an example the car listed as a Union Pacific Diner on the box end is actually the coach with a UP heavy weight diner number correctly applied as this paint scheme was upgraded to more accurate markings and several additional roads like GN were offered. Yes old tooling, very very old, I wonder if they will be lighted , used a single bulb like Atlas Rivarossi streamliners, or not lighted. Ah the memories.                       Nate Goodman (Nato). Waste not want not old tooling.  :|

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 07:52:34 AM »
IIRC, one of those black silhouettes looked a bit Hitchkok like.

Joe D

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 07:46:20 PM »
I suppose that you could cut up two and restore the car to its prototype length.

Yes but then you end up with a car that has way too many windows... the selective compression kept the number of windows and simply narrowed them, making such a kitbash not so accurate looking.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 11:37:48 PM »
Oops!  My bad!  So these are the ancient models that at some point in time had black silhouettes of passengers Tampo-printed in the window "glass"?  :facepalm:

My 13 year old modeling self had 5 of those cars I tune to run behind a Con Cor PA1 Warbonnet my dad bought for a whopping $31 in 1982. They ran many a loop on the Kalmbach Georgetown Loop plan  from the 101 Layouts book that I built in 4x8 in N in 1/2 of the two car garage. The bench work for a 2 x 6 yard extension  still serves Dad as a shelf for who knows what out there.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
Just to again play a "Peter-downer" again, the ratio of N advanced scale modelers (who actually custom detail their models and would buy those extra details) to the out-of-the-box-runner modelers is so low that even if model companies made those detail parts available, they would not make much money on them (as compared to their bread-and-butter offerings of locos and rolling stock).  And companies need to maximize profits.

Sure, there are some decent-size model companies like Atlas (ex. BLMA) and Tranworx which offer photoetched detail sets and few other details. There are also several cottage-type manufacturers (including Shapweays vendors) offering that type of product, but if you ask any of them, they aren't making a killing selling those detail items. I suspect that it is more like labor of love.  That is how I see the N scale detail parts market.

Come on we all know you're a stiff Peter Upper ....LOL

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
Come on we all know you're a stiff Peter Upper

To self: Say... nothing... say... nothing...

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:08:29 PM by David K. Smith »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »
To self: Say... nothing... say... nothing...

That is ok, you made me chuckle anyway.  Dirty old man!  As we age, stiffness will decrease, unless aids are used. :D
. . . 42 . . .