Author Topic: Loksound Select Micro: Fast vs. Slow Spitters  (Read 3298 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: Loksound Select Micro: Fast vs. Slow Spitters
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 11:03:34 PM »
That would be great! Thanks! :D

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 12:00:30 PM »
+1
Russ (and all) -- I've pulled together a small presentation to take one through using the LokProgrammer for changing the functions. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The first section comes directly from Phil Dunlop's excellent rewrite of the LokProgrammer manual, while the second addresses the key questions in this thread

Phil's manual can be found on the Yahoo Group for ESU LokSound at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/loksound/files/ESU%20LokSound%20v4.0%20Programmer%20Software%20User%20Manual%2C%20v1/

The LokSound manuals on the official ESU site are old and not always accurate.  However, the CV information in the LokSound V4.0 Manual is absolutely correct and, while it can be confusing, is an excellent resource. It can be found about the middle of this page: http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

There is also an excellent tutorial, by John Colombo, on using JMRI for setting up these functions  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=42478.0

Here are the sections on mapping extracted from Phil's manual:

Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »
+1
Here are the pages directly relating to the question at hand

Hope this helps!  In John's second post at top of this thread, he refers to the tables in the decoder manual (so I didn't copy those)
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »
Great info, thanks!! :D I hadn't noticed the "show changed CV" thing before and that's what had me really scratching my head on how you were able to determine what the new CV value is. The pull down menus on the "function mapping" page I had found before and messed around with, though some I still find a bit confusing. I still struggle with figuring or changing lighting output settings between this "function mapping"/pull-down menu page and the "function outputs" page. For example, on the function outputs page, I found the cell towards the bottom where you can change the effect, but the top cell marked "name" doesn't have a menu and doesn't change unless you type something in there...which I'm not sure if you need to do or not. Also, regarding the two brake squeals and two bells supposedly available in Select Micros, I can't find a way to change those in the LokProgrammer anywhere. I still change those using CV48 on the main (the bell anyway...I don't think I've ever heard more than one brake squeal sound out of a Select Micro).

...lastly, since we're talking LokProgrammer, I notice that sometimes the sound speed "preview" button is live/enabled on the "sound slot settings" page and sometimes it's not. When it is live, I notice no discernable changes with the selected sound when I press it, regardless of any changes I make to the sound speed sliders below. I have found that this is the page where you can change the horn type, but that's apparently all you can change there, I guess.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:14:22 PM by tehachapifan »

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 02:08:55 PM »
Well, now we are jumping from Function Mapping to Function Output control; and sound slot control   :D

Yes, on the physical outputs (lights), the names are anything you want to assign.  You can call your front headlight "Tom" and the rear one "Harry" if you want!  As you've discovered, just type in the name you want, and it doesn't have to match what the functionality of the light is actually doing. (Of course, it certainly helps if you do).  These simply show up in the drop down lists on the Function Mapping tab.  So, if you want F1 to turn Tom on... well, that is between you and Tom.

As for horns and bells, they really are still controlled by CV48.  But notice the names on the Sound Slot page, Slot 2 (for horn) or Slot 4 (for bell): as you change the value, at the bottom of the pane, for CV48, the names for the horn and bell change, appropriately!  If you add 128 to the value of CV64, the brake squeal will change.  You sort of have to "wait for it" to notice.  I find adjusting CVs 64 and 65 (on Sound Settings tab, Brake Sounds) to give me more variability on brakes.  And you can adjust those using Programming on the Main, easily, for real time testing.

The sound preview just plays the sound clip, with no "programming", so isn't all that good.  And some sound slots, such as "Drive Hold", don't really have any sound clips associated, so nothing plays.  The preview is not tied to the speed settings, as far as I can tell; just plays the basic clip.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
Thanks, Rick! Really appreciate all your help with all this! I think there's definitely a learning curve with this program but, for me, that curve might admittedly be a little steeper than for others.:facepalm: ;) Since I only program or re-program a decoder every now and then, this seems like something I'm going to have to sort of re-learn every time I do use it. I'll be sure to keep this thread bookmarked in my favorites for when I do!

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +928
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »
Nice work, Rick!

As more and more ESU decoders get loaded into our engines, explanations like this are going to be critical to the modeling community. 

John C.

Chris Smith

• Respect: +2
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
+2
Thanks again John C.

ESU users such as myself benefit from your input.

For other users exploring ESU sound decoders I offer some important suggestions FWIW.

For one week/Month/day even, forgo the purchase of one locomotive. Just one. One little itty bitty loco. Step away from your favorite Locomotive dealer or website just once, and do yourself a very large long term favor. Possibly the best purchase you will make concerning your loco fleet:
Buy the LokProgrammer

If you never intend (we know how intentions go) to buy more than one or two ESU decoder equipped locos, ok. But beyond that, nothing will do better, more reliably, more intuitively, with a small bit of practice, then using a Lokprogrammer with the free ESU programming software.

I, among many others am a long time user of JMRI decoder Pro. Since the 90's. But for ESU engines I use the Lokprogrammer exclusively. It is my opinion (just an opinion) that the ESU software and hardware a much more reliable and easier to use than DecoderPro. Many will dispute this, but in my case I don't have time to mess around and hope my large fleet set up for operating sessions will get the files loaded properly with all of my standardized function mapping changes, and advanced consisting requirements. I am much faster with only two years of Lokprogrammer experience and ESU decoders than I am using DecoderPro with ESU decoders. Other decoders, yes I use DecoderPro.

I don't feel this in any way detracts from the fine program JMRI and DecoderPro are, which I use for all other locos. But there is nothing better for ESU decoders than the Lokprogrammer.
There is no way I would own ESU equipped engines without the Lokprogrammer. As well, I would not be without JMRI either. No one tool can usually do it all. Choose, learn, and use the right tools!
Cheers to all!

Chris Smith
TN&Potomac RR

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4624
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 06:53:40 PM »
Excellent initial post Chris!  Very good advice. Welcome to the Railwire!
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 02:18:43 AM »
With Atlas, IMRC and KATO/Kobo producing RTR N Scale sound locomotives with ESU decoders, getting a LokProgrammer might become a more popular thing.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 02:57:14 AM »
With Atlas, IMRC and KATO/Kobo producing RTR N Scale sound locomotives with ESU decoders, getting a LokProgrammer might become a more popular thing.

I use QSI and ZIMO sound decoders and I have  dedicated programmers for both.   It really make sense to have one of those handy. They enable us to go so much further than basic CV programming. You can update the decoder's firmware and sound files. 
. . . 42 . . .

Chris Smith

• Respect: +2
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
Silly Me,
I review a number of different forums (primarily N Scale) and did not realize I had never posted on The Railwire!

Chris
TN&Potomac RR

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 06:20:45 PM »
Silly Me,
I review a number of different forums (primarily N Scale) and did not realize I had never posted on The Railwire!

Chris
TN&Potomac RR

LOL!  Now two and counting.  :)
. . . 42 . . .