Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/10/17  (Read 10000 times)

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
Re: Weekend Update 12/10/17
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 09:57:34 AM »
SUPER NICE CHRIS 333!!!!!
Mike

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »

Put a decoder in an Atlas C40-8W and wired up the ditch lights to flash .. not overly trilled with how they work yet. Need to see if I can make the flashing work better.

If the Decoder is Digitrax and lights are LEDs, then you won't have much look making the flashing look good. Digitrax never handled lighting effects using LEDs well, and even in the 6th generation of their decoder firmware/hardware (as in DZ126) they have not figure it out yet.

Other brands of decoders deal with LED lighting effects better, but in most of the examples I've seen the flashing/alternating ditch lights just don't dim low enough for a convincing flashing effect. I know that real ditch lights do not fully turn off (they just dim), but the decoders just don't seem to dim the LEDs enough for a good effect.
. . . 42 . . .

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3126
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

Put a decoder in an Atlas C40-8W and wired up the ditch lights to flash .. not overly trilled with how they work yet. Need to see if I can make the flashing work better.

Are you having issues with the rate, or the light emitted ?  I have 1 with Digitrax board and others factory equipped with NCE.  I can check to see if there is a difference, but I don't think I noticed an issue either way

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
Since it was dusted off and the tracks were cleaned:
/>
Chriss this is top notch stuff on that layout .
Love the pictures in line with the street . It really looks the street is going in the backdrop . Come to my place for a couple of weeks !
Thanks ,
Louis

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2113
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »
+1
Since it was dusted off and the tracks were cleaned:
/>

So many projects of yours are remembered viewing this video , cool to see the logical settings that they fit into .

Richie Dost

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »
+18
The train bug seems to have bitten me again.  I'm hoping I'm coming out of this long multi-year dormancy period, as far as actually working on the layout goes!  Here are a few quick photos of my layout with my new camera.  The top 2 photos show the entire layout (minus the hidden staging yard).  The lighting isn't that good for photos.  It's just the available layout lighting.  I was just farting around with the camera settings, so no additional side lighting on these.  Some of the camera settings make things look a bit more yellow than they really appear.  I need to do some cleaning before I can run any trains.

Erik

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »
+3
The train bug seems to have bitten me again.  I'm hoping I'm coming out of this long multi-year dormancy period, as far as actually working on the layout goes!  Here are a few quick photos of my layout with my new camera.  The top 2 photos show the entire layout (minus the hidden staging yard).  The lighting isn't that good for photos.  It's just the available layout lighting.  I was just farting around with the camera settings, so no additional side lighting on these.  Some of the camera settings make things look a bit more yellow than they really appear.  I need to do some cleaning before I can run any trains.

Not only is the layout well-done Erik, but I love the finished room. The fascia, skirt and the entire room is very nice and welcoming.  There are so many gorgeous layouts plopped in unfinished dark and grungy basements. Not yours - congratulations!  Yours reminds me of my favorite layout I like to visit (and had a hand in its construction): My friend's Ernie Poole's MRL layout. Featured in (IIRC) May 2009 issue of MR.

More photos in the MRL gallery
. . . 42 . . .

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
+1
Erics a Grande Fellow!
Been watching for years, welcome back... like others the Y! N-DRGW group has never recovered.
All the best after from me after a weekend drama and in hospital,
regards Dave
-NZ-

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 06:39:28 PM »
+16
More progress on the Railway Express Agency facility:

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2017, 06:48:40 PM »
This weekend's project has been installing and testing Jason's @wcfn100 MTL True Scale Coupler adapter for the venerable Atlas 70-ton ore car. "Mikey likes it! Hey, Mikey."

Details here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43356.msg552042#msg552042

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2017, 07:37:36 PM »
More progress on the Railway Express Agency facility:

Reminds me of a scene from the movie "Hoffa".
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
Lumber Loads: I drew these in Sketchup and had them 3D printed at Shapeways.
I went ahead and set up a "shop" so you can buy copies of them if you want to give them a try: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mike-the-modeler
The stakes I added after painting. They are .030 x .030 styrene glued on to match the stake pocket spacing of the car type :MTL or WOT.
They help hold the load onto the car yet allow them to be removed.
Then used some .005 styrene for the stretcher board at the top of the load that keep the stakes plumb in real life.
I used a fine black nylon thread to model the cross wires.

The area I model cut and shipped douglas fir and redwood. The coloring is meant to represent douglas fir.
I used acrylic hobby paint to make a very light cream/yellow base color (using a piece of wood as reference) that I painted onto the entire load.
I then used acrylic artist paints to make a wash to lay on  brown/orange highlights to represent the darker colors found in fir.
I used a wide brush to get a very light coat to highlight, then used a thin brush on individual boards to accentuate the horizontal line of the load and wood grain.
I am currently working on a color to represent redwood.

Time permitting I could try posting some better photos, perhaps on a separate thread.

Mike, Thanks for the info, good stuff. I'll have to look into these....  ;)
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »
Mike, Thanks for the info, good stuff. I'll have to look into these....  ;)

Mike the Modeler,
Please check your PM, Thanks!
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2017, 09:53:42 PM »
+1
Work continues on the FEF-1 tender conversation. The locomotive id's next although I've kinda started on it already.

Adam draskovich [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »
Adam, sounds like you need a build thread! Lookin good so far!