Author Topic: FVM Covered Hopper Announcement Flyers  (Read 4446 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: FVM Covered Hopper Announcement Flyers
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »
If so, note that the removal of the "extra" bracing (only for PS 4740 and PS 4750) would also remove 2 of the 3 locations that are used to secure this part in place

Okay, I guess I don't know how they are attached.  Isn't it just this part of the adapter?

What 2 attachment locations are you talking about?  Just trim it front and back leaving the parts attached to the car.

Jason

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 06:20:13 PM »
Okay, I guess I don't know how they are attached.  Isn't it just this part of the adapter?

What 2 attachment locations are you talking about?  Just trim it front and back leaving the parts attached to the car.

Jason

My John Madden Telestrator skills are lacking, but the attached photo shows the two tabs that are used to secure the Trainworx 621 part in place, but would be removed along with the extra bracing:

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 06:28:01 PM »
My John Madden Telestrator skills are lacking, but the attached photo shows the two tabs that are used to secure the Trainworx 621 part in place, but would be removed along with the extra bracing:

I normally don't like to refer to other models to point out what is or isn't correct, but the circled parts shown in the photo of an unassembled PS 4740 kit are the easiest way to describe what the part should look like:

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2018, 01:11:21 AM »
I cut the extra side pieces off my adapters, leaving the cross pieces glued to the bolsters, and they work fine.  It took a little care, to keep from breaking something, and a bit of touch-up on the cut ends, but it wasn't hard.
N Kalanaga
Be well

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »
I cut the extra side pieces off my adapters, leaving the cross pieces glued to the bolsters, and they work fine.  It took a little care, to keep from breaking something, and a bit of touch-up on the cut ends, but it wasn't hard.

This will technically work, but if I'm going to go through the trouble of making any modifications, I'm inclined to use it as an opportunity to get as close to the prototype as possible, whether by modifying the existing part or completely removing it (with the leftovers going to one of my Richmond Tank Car 4750's that could use them as-is) and making a new part to replace it.

If these parts were made from brass rather than plastic, I'd be inclined to bend the pieces with the tabs upwards from the bolster after cutting off the sides.   This would both match (or at least resemble) the prototype in addition to leaving those mounting tabs available should they be needed to help secure the adapter in place, albeit in a slightly different location.

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
Jan 2018 Fox Valley Models Hopper Announcement
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 10:31:29 AM »
The hoppers are $26.95 each and will start shipping the week of Jan 22.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:33:53 AM by lashedup »

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »
My bad on the repost. This one was buried in another production run announcement from last year.