Author Topic: Please don't ask for an N model if you don't intend to buy it...  (Read 4251 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
Re: Please don't ask for an N model if you don't intend to buy it...
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
Micro Trains has a whole collector cult thing going that I'll be the first to admit I also don't understand...

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »
I'm opening up about situations like this and asking your thoughts precisely because I am not an N scaler and I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

I didn't think I was yelling, and I apologize if it was taken that way.

We can only make decisions based on the information we are given. We base our decisions on what people tell us. Here is a situation of nine people telling us we should do something in N scale but only one comes through when we do it. Our Facebook followers are hardly a representative slice of the N scale modelling community, so that's why I brought it here to share my views and to get your thoughts.

Judging by a couple of the harsh responses I've received so far, I could have worded my original post better...

-Jason

Jason,

I didn't ask for the wood meat reefers but I bought 136 of them. I think I got the entire run of road numbers and names.

I never used facebook or any of the social media crap, I learned that they hinder my efforts at promiscuity.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »
I learned that they hinder my efforts at promiscuity.

:o

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 06:06:13 PM »
+1
Ditto for me ..

I never saw the advertisement either, and do watch you on FB periodically .. I also visit your website monthly.

I also have your CSX sleeper (nice model)

and I got the Mike Gon .. beyond that, none of the models in your inventory meet my needs .. so i probably wouldn't buy the grab bag ..

I hope your turbotrain does well, but it's also nothing I will get because it doesn't fit my interest ..

What I would suggest .. we have several influential and expert people here who could provide you very discreet advice on the Nscale market. .. I won't name them directly, but some are manufacturers, former manufacturers, and consultants .. you probably know them already ..  they have a pretty good feel for the market as it is. .

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »
+1
1. We need Rapido to make a GG1.  We can never have too many!
2. I’d buy a box with Gweneth Paltrow’s Head in it. Spoilers. 
3. I’m just here to tell everyone how much I don’t use Facebook.

Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 06:42:28 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] Ok .. found it ..

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:44:29 PM by John »

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 07:10:48 PM »
I'm opening up about situations like this and asking your thoughts precisely because I am not an N scaler and I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

I didn't think I was yelling, and I apologize if it was taken that way.

We can only make decisions based on the information we are given. We base our decisions on what people tell us. Here is a situation of nine people telling us we should do something in N scale but only one comes through when we do it. Our Facebook followers are hardly a representative slice of the N scale modelling community, so that's why I brought it here to share my views and to get your thoughts.

Judging by a couple of the harsh responses I've received so far, I could have worded my original post better...

-Jason

I would suggest a more strategic marketing plan. Taking advice from Facebook members, seeking opinions from a forum is a shot in the dark.   Have you talked with any other companies that produce N scale. FVM comes to mind as a similar manufacturer when it comes to N scale. When the green scheme GMD-1 arrives I will buy one.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 07:14:29 PM »
+4
Hi all,

First off, I apologize again for the tone of my email. It was not meant to chastise anyone on Railwire - it was a general kvetch based on the Facebook experience. So often we hear from people "I don't need X but if you make Y I am there" and then when we make Y they definitely aren't there.

There was no magic tracking involved in knowing who ordered the boxes and who posted in the Facebook thread. It was just a matter of looking at the names.

I also appreciate the feedback many of you have given. Rest assured, we don't do our product research from posts on Facebook. But we do get a lot of direct feedback through our Facebook posts. It is a very useful took for interacting with our customers, and I would hazard to guess there are far more N scalers on Facebook than here on RW.

So... mea culpa. If I could go back and zap the original post I would. It was poorly worded. Hopefully it is allowed to die and I and the company won't be judged on it forever.

-Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 07:36:04 PM »

So... mea culpa. If I could go back and zap the original post I would. It was poorly worded. Hopefully it is allowed to die and I and the company won't be judged on it forever.

-Jason

Well, you could go back and edit your original post (or even delete it and replace it with a space character or a period), but in my view that wouldn't be cool.  We all have put a foot in our mouths typing-hands at one time or another. Tome just lettign this die (or ask to have this thread locked) makes most sense.

Well, the Micro-Trains grab bags did sell, didn't they? Buyers couldn't be sure what they would find inside these grab bags.
As far as the Micro-Trains mystery bags go (since others have mentioned those), I seem to recall that those were slow sellers until the contents of them was revealed.  Even then, I think there are still some left at BLW.
. . . 42 . . .

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2018, 07:49:53 PM »
+2
This thread has run it's course and I am locking it for our own good.  Sometimes we all need to vent.   Jason, thanks for coming back and posting your regrets. I for one am good with it.