Author Topic: Keystone Details and KV Modlels announce the Stillwell Commuter Coach!  (Read 2781 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Keystone Details and KV Models are introducing a jointly designed Stillwell commuter coach craftsman kit with ordering starting on December 18th to provide time for etch delivery to KV Models.  The car can negotiate a 9.5" radius using body mounted couplers.

Note: The image shows assembled model and a seat and bathroom kit that is purchased separately.

The kits can be ordered through Keystone Details at this page after December 18th.

The price is $60 USD per kit , plus flat rate shipping in the U.S. (actual shipping rate outside the U.S.) via PAYPAL only.

- KV Models will supply the stainless etched fret to Keystone Details, including layered sides and end wall doors which will then be added to the kit.
- Keystone Details will include the stainless etched fret, and then ship the kit along with the core shell, roof, truck frames and various detail bits.

An interior detailing kit (shown below before cleaning) will be available separately from Keystone Details. This kit includes finely detailed seats and bathroom stall and MUST be installed before the roof is added to the car. Shapeways price is $11 USD (plus Shapeways shipping and processing costs) per seat kit and can be purchased here.

What is not included that the customer will need purchase to complete the kit:
- FVM (FVM 3602, fine tread or FVM 3610, wide tread) or equivalent 36" x 0.553" wheel sets (the trucks are designed for these dimensions)
- 0.010" x 0.020" styrene strip (Evergreen 100) for the roof drip edges
- 0.005" thick clear styrene sheets (Evergreen 9005) for the side glazing and door glazing
- 0.032' thick x 1/2' x 12' brass flat strip (K&S 8241, 1 strip will do two cars)
- Two Micro-trains 1015 couplers
- Two Micro-Trains bolster pins

The kit includes a scale core, stainless steel etched, layered sides, etched end doors, truck frames, roof and separately applied steps with body mount coupler pockets, underframe and roof vent details.

Assembly instructions will follow in the next week or so.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:51:15 PM by Lemosteam »

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Keystone Details and KV Modlels announce the Stillwell Commuter Coach!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
+1
Awesome!

I remember these vividly as a kid on the EL in Hoboken, often mixed with DLW Boonton coaches...

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:38:21 PM »
+1
John, that's. a great and unique model, and I'm happy for those who can use it. But I'm more fascinated by the interior print...there is a whole another possible product line for a number of interiors :o
Btw, Shapeways just notified me my order of your "stuff" has shipped, so I'm looking forward to it!
Otto K.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:21:03 PM »
+1
Patiently biding my time until Dec 18.  May even risk waiting until Dec 26 in hopes that someone checks my wish list for Christmas. Thanks for making it happen.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Cumbo2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »
+1
Keystone Details and KV Models are introducing a jointly designed Stillwell commuter coach craftsman kit with ordering starting on December 18th to provide time for etch delivery to KV Models.  The car can negotiate a 9.5" radius using body mounted couplers.

Note: The image shows assembled model and a seat and bathroom kit that is purchased separately.

The kits can be ordered through Keystone Details at this page after December 18th.

The price is $60 USD per kit , plus flat rate shipping in the U.S. (actual shipping rate outside the U.S.) via PAYPAL only.

- KV Models will supply the stainless etched fret to Keystone Details, including layered sides and end wall doors which will then be added to the kit.
- Keystone Details will include the stainless etched fret, and then ship the kit along with the core shell, roof, truck frames and various detail bits.

An interior detailing kit (shown below before cleaning) will be available separately from Keystone Details. This kit includes finely detailed seats and bathroom stall and MUST be installed before the roof is added to the car. Shapeways price is $11 USD (plus Shapeways shipping and processing costs) per seat kit and can be purchased here.

What is not included that the customer will need purchase to complete the kit:
- FVM (FVM 3602, fine tread or FVM 3610, wide tread) or equivalent 36" x 0.553" wheel sets (the trucks are designed for these dimensions)
- 0.010" x 0.020" styrene strip (Evergreen 100) for the roof drip edges
- 0.005" thick clear styrene sheets (Evergreen 9005) for the side glazing and door glazing
- 0.032' thick x 1/2' x 12' brass flat strip (K&S 8241, 1 strip will do two cars)
- Two Micro-trains 1015 couplers
- Two Micro-Trains bolster pins

The kit includes a scale core, stainless steel etched, layered sides, etched end doors, truck frames, roof and separately applied steps with body mount coupler pockets, underframe and roof vent details.

Assembly instructions will follow in the next week or so.

Here is one still in operation on the Whitewater Valley RR Museum in Connersville, Indiana.

Found this Trains Magazine video of the Stillwell coach with their Lima-Hamilton switcher.

http://trn.trains.com/photos-videos/videos/2014/03/whitewater-valley-no-25

Bob Witt

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
Ordering is now available at the link above.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
+1
Just ordered a 3-pack!  :lol:

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »
+1
Just ordered a 3-pack!  :lol:
I just sent in the form for 3 as well.
Tom D.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »
I bet those instructions took just as long as the model did  :o

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 07:20:27 PM »
@Chris333 ,  Nah.  i got some fancy viewers.  But I did do them in MS paint.

Thanks I hoe they are clear?  Did you spot anything I need to fix?  I did think of one thing today that I might alter.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 03:02:25 AM »
Oh I'm sure they will be OK. A shame I have a black only printer.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »
+1
Decals now available from Prime Mover Decals here!! 

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
+1
Decals now available from Prime Mover Decals here!!
They had those on their "coming soon" list for what seems like a decade.  Glad to see them in print.
Tom D.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 06:37:13 AM »
+3
After 40+ kit reprints at Shapeways  :facepalm:, the first three orders have FINALLY shipped.

Long story for a different thread, but the etchings finally fit the cores, (personally validated).

Please share your builds, and contact me for any issues.

I hope the instructions are satisfactory.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
+2
Now that I have my kits in hand to examine, I think these may be the BEST passenger kits ever produced in N scale- truly exquisite. And much nicer, for that matter, than the resin kits available for Stillwells in HO. Hope I can do them justice.

As an aid to anyone working on these, I located a photo of a restored interior of one of the cars at Connorsville, Indiana (see Marquette and Huron Mountain listing at the site for more photos of Stillwells)
http://www.railroadmichigan.com/tanz08_03.jpg

Several cars (including, I think, one or more C&WI) went to Michigan and lived a second life on tourist rails and one became a bookstore.  The railroadmichigan.com website has several more Stillwell photos, plus a lot of other interesting railroad equipment.
Tom D.