Author Topic: ScaleTrains Tier 4 GEVO  (Read 3662 times)

ek2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
ScaleTrains Tier 4 GEVO
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:29:54 PM »
Has anyone pre-ordered a ST Tier 4 GEVO? It's expected to hit the shelves in the Winter but I have no news if it's on schedule. I've pre-ordered a rivet counter CSX (with the LokSound). ST is still accepting pre-orders.

This model will have operating ditch lights (both front and back in the case of NS and CN) whereas the IM GEVO's are not expected to have ditch lights (I confirmed with IM).

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
Re: ScaleTrains Tier 4 GEVO
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:10:46 AM »
I've pre-ordered two CN units.  I did it before the IM announcement, but given how the SD40-2 models have looked, I'm not going to pre-order a IM GEVO. If they turn out well, then maybe. 

The Scale Trains units look great, just a little heavy on the grab irons and railings. 

ek2000

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
Were you not happy with your sd 40? They run and sound very well (I have a MILW and now a NS on the way) but I saw another comment too somewhere that they looked taller than the prototype. My untrained eye is unable to discern.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »
I preordered a pair of the BNSF units. Scaletrains website says they are due “Winter 17/18”, so I wouldn’t anticipate seeing them before the new year.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »
Were you not happy with your sd 40? They run and sound very well (I have a MILW and now a NS on the way) but I saw another comment too somewhere that they looked taller than the prototype. My untrained eye is unable to discern.

I don't own any of the IM SD-40 units (they are not in my era anyway).  I guess I am picky and I don't find the execution up to my standards for locomotives.  I know many people here have been quite happy with them. 

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 11:32:44 AM »
I ordered two UP and a BNSF from ScaleTrains. I also ordered the two Navajo Mine engines from I'M. I've got power from both manufacturers and really don't have complaints about either. I'm sure Kato will join the party by next year so we'll be able to debate the GEVOs ad nauseam.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »
+1
We got to run the first production sample of the NS Unit back in July.  It was also the first time the new ESU board touched it. 
The mechanism was very smooth and silent!  The sound file was still raw, so we payed little attention there. 
I did have a few notes on the through-hole axle pickups, if not to trash them all together in favor of pointed axle/cups.  Otherwise, from an end user point of view, it was definitely a treat to play with for the weekend!

Here's those rear ditch lights.

...I'm sure Kato will join the party by next year so we'll be able to debate the GEVOs ad nauseam.

Quality, reliable mechanism is my top priority, in that world Kato is king.  But fine detail is rapidly gaining ground.  I tried to MU the Scale Trains T4 next to a Kato ES44, and it made the Kato look just naked.  It's amazing actually, just how much find details can be ignored, until they are highlighted side by side; then its like all you can focus on is that it's missing.   
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

ek2000

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:40:25 PM »
Thanks for the pics. I remember seeing the video on youtube and a concern I had was the loco cutting off in some spots. I dont know if it was the track or the locomotive.

I hope ST still having the preorder open is not due to low demand which could jeopardize moving forward with the production run.

nsbob

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
+1
 "I hope ST still having the preorder open is not due to low demand which could jeopardize moving forward with the production run."

Hopefully ST won't be overly influenced by preorders like some of the other manufacturers.  As previously discussed here, modern Norfolk Southern locomotives in the black and white scheme are not readily available and when they are, they sell out quickly.  It appears there are a lot of closet Norfolk Southern modelers out there for the demand to be so high.  If Kato would do a second run of the updated C44-9W locomotives in Norfolk Southern, they would sell very well.  I base this on the fact that not only Norfolk Southern C44-9W locomotives, but the custom built NS shells, go for high prices on Ebay, even with the incorrect details (headlight and ditchlight placement, handrails, steps, etc.).    I plan to have 12 NS locomotives on my layout, with at least 5 of them being Dash 9s.  Fortunately I purchased the most accurate shells from Kato before they sold out.
     Anyone modeling modern day Norfolk Southern will want to buy the Tier 4's, regardless of who makes them.   They are becoming very common in consists in my area (central Virginia).  When I railfanned the Pocahontas Division a couple of weeks ago, Tier 4s were all over the place, especially in pusher service.  Norfolk Southern is rebuilding many of their locomotives (SD60, D9-40C, etc.), but they are scrapping a lot of them too (D8-40C, etc.).  Apparently  they are being replaced with the favored Tier 4s.   So if ST builds the NS Tier 4s, they should be very good sellers.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »
"I hope ST still having the preorder open is not due to low demand which could jeopardize moving forward with the production run."

Hopefully ST won't be overly influenced by preorders like some of the other manufacturers.  As previously discussed here, modern Norfolk Southern locomotives in the black and white scheme are not readily available and when they are, they sell out quickly.  It appears there are a lot of closet Norfolk Southern modelers out there for the demand to be so high.  If Kato would do a second run of the updated C44-9W locomotives in Norfolk Southern, they would sell very well.  I base this on the fact that not only Norfolk Southern C44-9W locomotives, but the custom built NS shells, go for high prices on Ebay, even with the incorrect details (headlight and ditchlight placement, handrails, steps, etc.).    I plan to have 12 NS locomotives on my layout, with at least 5 of them being Dash 9s.  Fortunately I purchased the most accurate shells from Kato before they sold out.
     Anyone modeling modern day Norfolk Southern will want to buy the Tier 4's, regardless of who makes them.   They are becoming very common in consists in my area (central Virginia).  When I railfanned the Pocahontas Division a couple of weeks ago, Tier 4s were all over the place, especially in pusher service.  Norfolk Southern is rebuilding many of their locomotives (SD60, D9-40C, etc.), but they are scrapping a lot of them too (D8-40C, etc.).  Apparently  they are being replaced with the favored Tier 4s.   So if ST builds the NS Tier 4s, they should be very good sellers.

The thing is, the carbon black hoppers in N scale were almost canceled because of low preorders. So ST is not afraid to throw that weight around.

I ordered a GECX 2022 unit, only because IM was not offering one, and may opt for GECX 2015 if they announce it in the second run like they did in HO. Almost any T4 is too new for me, but I will fudge them anyways like I've done on some other units.

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

nsbob

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
+1
In reference to the carbon black cars, I didn't take notice of them until Scaletrains said they were considering making them.  Now I recognize them often on Norfolk Southern manifest freights.  As has been discussed here several times, depending only on preorders for sales estimates is problematic for modelers and collectors.  I would like them to do more research on the many different websites like this one to get the idea of how much demand is for a certain model. It wouldn't take a lot of research to see that modern Norfolk Southern locomotives are in high demand, even with inaccurate details. 

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 11:17:28 PM »
In reference to the carbon black cars, I didn't take notice of them until Scaletrains said they were considering making them.  Now I recognize them often on Norfolk Southern manifest freights.  As has been discussed here several times, depending only on preorders for sales estimates is problematic for modelers and collectors.  I would like them to do more research on the many different websites like this one to get the idea of how much demand is for a certain model. It wouldn't take a lot of research to see that modern Norfolk Southern locomotives are in high demand, even with inaccurate details.

ScaleTrains is very aware of market demand. They had several other projects in cue before the Carbon Black cars. They discussed online why those projects got nixed (competitors beat them to the punch in at least one case). It doesn’t matter what they realease, they are going to base production on preorders. They aren’t going to invest tens of thousands of dollars hoping people buy something. They need to recoup enough money to cover production costs, overhead, and hopefully some of the costs of upcoming productions. To think they design products in a vacuum is ludicrous.

As for more NS engines, they are doing an NS ET44, Atlas has the SD60E covered, I’m sure ST has the NS SD40-2 planned for an upcoming release. What else would you like to see?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:23:55 PM by jpwisc »
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 02:11:24 AM »
+1
I pre-ordered a bunch of BNSF and UP units.  Also a handful of carbon black hoppers to support the cause.  But I'm still reeling from purchasing somewhere between 50 and 100 of their containers, so if they ditch N scale, it's not my fault.   :P

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 08:28:46 AM »

As for more NS engines, they are doing an NS ET44, Atlas has the SD60E covered, I’m sure ST has the NS SD40-2 planned for an upcoming release. What else would you like to see?

This by no means is a complaint as NS has been getting a lot of love recently. Would be great to see a release of the NS Dash 9's (A re-run of the Kato Dash 9's would not at least compare to the level of accuracy of all of the engines manufactures have put out recently)  Its the largest block of engine types in active NS service (26%) http://www.nsdash9.com/roster.html Pretty much guaranteed to see one or more on just about any NS train.

As for ST Tier 4, I have a few on order, and hope they sell well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:30:51 AM by Smike »

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
This by no means is a complaint as NS has been getting a lot of love recently. Would be great to see a release of the NS Dash 9's (A re-run of the Kato Dash 9's would not at least compare to the level of accuracy of all of the engines manufactures have put out recently)  Its the largest block of engine types in active NS service (26%) http://www.nsdash9.com/roster.html Pretty much guaranteed to see one or more on just about any NS train.

As for ST Tier 4, I have a few on order, and hope they sell well.

Kato also did 2 #'s on the BNSF H2 C44-9W (the late model, detailed for BNSF) - probably the single largest fleet of a loco in one paint scheme (NS C44-9W close behind.  There is no rhyme or reason to their production decisions....  ???