Author Topic: Graham Farish A1 Tornado  (Read 7277 times)

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
Re: Graham Farish A1 Tornado
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 05:42:36 PM »
That's kind of the problem in "modelling" trains of the Eastern Hemisphere, isn't it?

We are lucky enough to have the Janney coupler, which is (apparently) easy enough to copy (thanks, Kadee and MTL!)

The hook types used "over there" are difficult at best to emulate. I came up with a crude home made substitute for my 0 scale trains: it works because it's big enough to manually operate. Smaller scales, not so much, I would think.

I guess that's why you see a fair bit of the KD knuckles being used on the Continent. They don't look all that realistic, but by God they work!

As far as "fit and finish", I do agree that, for the most part, models made for the European market are certainly on a par with the best stuff offered for the U.S...and sometimes better. I think I've mentioned here before that I find locos in N, HO and 0 to be equal with their American counterparts. It's just those damn couplers... :)

Mark in Oregon

PS: That IS one beautiful train... 

brill27mcb

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 06:01:56 PM »
I have older Farish Intercity Express Mk 3 and 4 coaching stock, and they do roll away on level track. You can use the newer Bachmann/Farish blackened, lower-profile flange axlesets to swap into these older cars with pizza-cutter flanges, which I have done on these trains, and they still roll very easily.

Rich K.
Tomix / EasyTrolley Modelers' Website
www.trainweb.org/tomix
N-Gauge Model Trolleys and Their History
www.trainweb.org/n-trolleys

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 06:19:06 PM »
That's kind of the problem in "modelling" trains of the Eastern Hemisphere, isn't it?

We are lucky enough to have the Janney coupler, which is (apparently) easy enough to copy (thanks, Kadee and MTL!)

The hook types used "over there" are difficult at best to emulate. I came up with a crude home made substitute for my 0 scale trains: it works because it's big enough to manually operate. Smaller scales, not so much, I would think.

I guess that's why you see a fair bit of the KD knuckles being used on the Continent. They don't look all that realistic, but by God they work!

As far as "fit and finish", I do agree that, for the most part, models made for the European market are certainly on a par with the best stuff offered for the U.S...and sometimes better. I think I've mentioned here before that I find locos in N, HO and 0 to be equal with their American counterparts. It's just those damn couplers... :)

Mark in Oregon

PS: That IS one beautiful train...

I really don't see Rapido couplers as being a problem. I guess I'm so used to them they don't bother me on non-U.S. models. Years ago (when I started retrofitting my non-MTL US-prototype models to the Kadee/MT couplers I also started converting my European models to knuckle couplers. But then, after converting about a dozen pieces my sanity returned and I un-converted them back to Rapidos.  If not for anything else, I think they will be easier to sell with Rapidos. Who wants European models with MTL couplers?  Not compatible with their other models.

Maybe some European modelers have embraced MTL couplers, but I always thought that the serious European modelers use the Profi couplers (not MTLs).  However I do not keep up with the latest trends in European modeling (I just occasionally add more models to my European collection).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:20:46 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 06:20:50 PM »
Would love one of these in N scale. ;)

Cool loco! 8)

You get a sense of just how much smaller UK locos are when next to a North American loco:

http://www.finial.ndirect.co.uk/Images/fspic4.jpg

Mark

Well, and that CN Northern, excuse me, Confederation, is pretty lightweight as 4-8-4's go, by about 100,000 pounds. No disrespect meant to our Canadian friends, simply noting that there were much bigger 4-8-4's in North America. A better comparison to the size of the Scottsman would be another 80" drivered Pacific of similar length, say a Pennsy K-4, which was taller, wider and heavier by about 50,000 pounds.
Otto K.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
Oh, speaking of couplers!  One thing I forgot to mention, they are not truck mounted, and not technically body mounted.  They are kinematic! 
Of course that is lost due to the rapido, but with a proper conversion they will look great, have touching diaphragms, and still negotiate scale curves.

Whatever happened to Kato's Kinematic couplers?  I absolutely love them on my Daylight!  I read some found the kinematic knuckle to be finicky, but that should have been an easy design fix. 
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »
I also have you to blame you for enticing me to buy the Dapol N scale Flying Scotsman in green livery and a rake of LNER teak passenger coaches!   :D

You're most welcome!  I expect pictures.   8)
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:45 PM »
You're most welcome!  I expect pictures.   8)

Of course!  :)

As far as the kinematic couplers go, most of the currently made European models (even many of the short freight cars) are so equipped. It is mainly to be able to closely couple the cars (so the buffers are almost touching) while still being able to negotiate tight curves.  European trains use the buffers as part of the coupling system - they are actually in contact, and even slight compression, on coupled cars.
. . . 42 . . .

C62-2

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 08:22:30 PM »
Kato has been using something that is a follow-up on the kinematic coupler on some of their Japanese prototype models. They are available as a replacement part (in a few different configurations, depending on exactly which car it is intended for). One example is part 6062C3 (http://www.e-katomodels2.com/shop/g/g6062C3/). These are similar conceptually to the Tomix TN couplers, for example, TN0373 (http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/0373.html). In both cases, they are body mount knuckle couplers that extend out when the cars go around curves. Neither series is compatible with anything from any other manufacturer (as far as I can tell), but they look great.

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 09:34:10 PM »
I really don't see Rapido couplers as being a problem. I guess I'm so used to them they don't bother me on non-U.S. models. Years ago (when I started retrofitting my non-MTL US-prototype models to the Kadee/MT couplers I also started converting my European models to knuckle couplers. But then, after converting about a dozen pieces my sanity returned and I un-converted them back to Rapidos.  If not for anything else, I think they will be easier to sell with Rapidos. Who wants European models with MTL couplers?  Not compatible with their other models.

Maybe some European modelers have embraced MTL couplers, but I always thought that the serious European modelers use the Profi couplers (not MTLs).  However I do not keep up with the latest trends in European modeling (I just occasionally add more models to my European collection).

Peteski

I didn't mean to imply that Rapidos are a "problem"; in fact, my non-US N scale are all such equipped, and they actually work pretty well:better than I remember, in fact.

As far as "serious" European/British modelers, I guess I was more or less referring to HO (!) scale; you see an awful lot of KDs being used there. Again, they don't look at all like the link and pin (or whatever they're called), but since they work so well, they see a lot of use. I guess a fair number of operators use one end as the "A" (front) end only, so they'll have a facsimile of the "real thing" up front, and use a KD on the tail (business) end...fun stuff!

Mark in Oregon

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »

Whatever happened to Kato's Kinematic couplers? 

I'd expect you'd see them used again if they ever do another passenger train with full width diaphragms.

Jason