Author Topic: Graham Farish A1 Tornado  (Read 7284 times)

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Crisis Averted
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 01:28:18 AM »
I remember a few old threads where tungsten vs lead was discussed at length.  I understand tungsten powder/putty is less dense that pure tungsten, but I had the impression the result was very similar or only slightly less than pure lead; not to a point where it looses the advantage over lead with easy mold-ability to fill every nook and cranny in a shell.   

That same website even advertises their powder at 11.5g/cc, compressible even to 15g (though likely not in a hobby application).
https://www.tungstenheavypowder.com/tungsten-powders/

Max V advertises minimum density at 10g/cc putty.
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/tungstenputty.htm

I think testing will be in order. 

In any case, I took a closer look at the the A1 Tender shell and the interior is very square.  I could likely go straight tungsten bar stock?  I'll have to look up how Chris made the 44 T weights again.
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 01:49:12 AM »
Not trying to say you need tungsten. Just that lead would probably be better.
My 44T weights were an alloy, like 80% tungsten.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 02:01:19 AM »
I think that before blindly slapping in more ballast you might as well figure out whether there is something that can be done with the TT-equipped drivers to have them make better contact with the track (or try to determine whatever else is going on with that tender, or if the loco is dragging).
. . . 42 . . .

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 02:09:37 AM »
On the traction tires, thanks for all the input everyone.  Lots of good ideas and observations.  As far as I can tell, everything checks out on the model.

Here's a shot of the tender mech vs 44T mech

For the tires, I devised a 'tape test' to help determine which axle pushes the hardest.

Since the mech picks up from all wheels, I can spin the drive axles over these two bits of tape.  Whichever spot has the most wear should be the ideal traction tire location.
To be sure one set of axles didn't just have more gunk to skew results, I did a cleaning with the Minitrix locoBrush. 

Results look pretty clear axle #3 wins. 

I felt Axle 1 had the second most, but decided to install the tire only on axle 3 to start with.  And that alone made a very nice improvement!  Where before Tornado struggled on about half my set up with just 5 Kato smooth sides, it now pulls 7 smooth sides plus speedometer boxcar around everything but just one stall point.  Unfortunately, this set up is all level, lacking the 1.5% mountain grade.  Perhaps tender weight will help some there.

In the meantime, speaking of the Boulder Creek Speedomeer, and since it's Tornado we're talking about; I just had to dial it up...   :D :D

Really need to get those Blood & Custard coaches now...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 02:11:29 AM by Mark W »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 02:39:19 AM »
Looks to be pulling good to me!

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 03:48:58 AM »
Very good Mark!  I was hoping for a logical analysis.  :)
The only possible problem you might have with only a single axle with TT and a rigid wheelbase is when the loco is going over uneven track (or gaps in the track like a frog). When running slowly (with no momentum from the train) it might lose grip over the frog.

That is a beautiful model!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:55:01 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

tefsom85

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 10:22:24 AM »
I'm going to show my ignorance.    Somehow I missed what mistake you almost made with the oil.   Can you remind us what the mistake would have been?  :)

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
I'm going to show my ignorance.    Somehow I missed what mistake you almost made with the oil.   Can you remind us what the mistake would have been?  :)
The bottle of Gorilla Glue sitting next to it
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
+1
Yes, I think it's safe to say even without testing; super glue is a poor lubricant.  :facepalm:

That is a beautiful model!

It truly is!  Granted European steam is usually more decorative than US steam to begin with, but the level of fine detail on this Bachmann product is astounding! 

Builders plate is almost legible, pretty complex striping especially along tender trucks and bumpers, quite a bit of hand painted accents too. 

Gauges and separately etched coal chute.

Open cab, piping, seats, and a hard to see free moving foot plate to cover the loco-tender gap.

I want to feel like we're missing out with our US prototypes, but then we do have a LOT more external piping and such which is probably a lot more difficult to produce.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »
...and they finally got away from those ridiculous European flanges :D
Otto K.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »
Yes, I think it's safe to say even without testing; super glue is a poor lubricant.  :facepalm:
It truly is!  Granted European steam is usually more decorative than US steam to begin with, but the level of fine detail on this Bachmann product is astounding! 

Oh, I know!  Don't ask me how many European (and British) N scale steam locos I own!  :facepalm:  I don't have this one but looking at those photos, there might be a Christmas gift in the making.  :D  I was also contemplating Dapol's Britannia ir Flying Scotsman.

. . . 42 . . .

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 09:50:15 PM »
Those are indeed all beautiful locos...

Mark in Oregon

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Graham Farish A1 Tornado
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 01:11:50 AM »
+1
Quick update: had a coupon I needed to use for Hobby Town, so I stopped in to check their pinewood derby weights.  I didn't realize they would all be "lead free", but I suppose that makes sense these days. 
In any case, they had some tungsten bars which I did not expect, so I picked up a few.  I was able to snap and grind them to size, one thin piece under the decoder, another to fill the gap behind the decoder, and a third to replace the original weight that sits over the motor.   Overall, its about 25% gain in weight, and very happy to report Tornado is now pulling 14 Kato Smooth Sides with ease! 

This afternoon I also ordered 7 BR coaches that should arrive about the same time as Santa! 

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 03:18:37 AM »
Quick update: had a coupon I needed to use for Hobby Town, so I stopped in to check their pinewood derby weights.  I didn't realize they would all be "lead free", but I suppose that makes sense these days. 
In any case, they had some tungsten bars which I did not expect, so I picked up a few.  I was able to snap and grind them to size, one thin piece under the decoder, another to fill the gap behind the decoder, and a third to replace the original weight that sits over the motor.   Overall, its about 25% gain in weight, and very happy to report Tornado is now pulling 14 Kato Smooth Sides with ease! 

This afternoon I also ordered 7 BR coaches that should arrive about the same time as Santa!

Nice!
Where do you get your European prototype models?
. . . 42 . . .

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 11:01:36 AM »
+1
The only place I could find Tornado in British Railway letters and Doncaster Green paint is eBay. 

I ordered the coaches from Hattons
http://www.hattons.co.uk/

Surprisingly low shipping!  2 day air from UK ended up being cheaper than what I recently had to pay for an item shipped Priority Mail from Ohio.   :facepalm: