Author Topic: Atlas TSC Adapters now open for sale.  (Read 4183 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Atlas TSC Adapters now open for sale.
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »
These do look great like this.  Now if only I could order some in platinum.

As an aside, when I was a kid this was my favorite freight car.  I remember my sister giving me one for Christmas '87. It was obviously a good gift since I still remember it.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »
+1
Tom jogged an issue... older releases. I had one "Made in U.S.A." car in yesterday's batch, which would place it first or second run. The adapter was slightly tight. Not bad, but a press fit. The "China" cars are slightly loose, in the 0.005-0.010" range. I think we may have touched on this in one of the beta runs.

At any rate, don't change a thing, I think what you have is a happy middle ground. Just be aware of slight variations in fit if somebody else says something.

Oh... I just checked a Roco car. The adaptor plate is 0.010" too wide, but so far it looks like the rest of it is OK. After the next batch is out of the Bestine I'll file one down to verify.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 03:14:03 AM »
+1
@C855B What is the smallest radii that the cars will pass?

I found some R249 (9 3/4") Unitrack and two ore cars with the stock couplers make it without issue.  I would be pretty comfortable saying they could go down to 8" radius but even more wouldn't surprise me.  The issue is the coupler on what ever is doing the pulling.  The adapter with the stock coupler has virtually no swing, it relies on the shortness of the cars, the close coupling and the amount of pivot the mating couplers have.  To navigate very sharp radii, the ends of the ore car block or unit would probably need to have the modified couplers.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
The new draw bars are in and they appear successful.  I'm going to send a bunch to Mike (C855B) for some testing to see what the FXD material can handle.

Here's the link if you're interested.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QHZVTWDAC/drawbar-for-atlas-tsc-ore-car-adapter

Jason

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »
How do I install them?

Which paint matches the Atlas brown?

Thanks for making them!

Javier

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
How do I install them?

Which paint matches the Atlas brown?

Thanks for making them!

Javier

They just glue into the big notch at the ends of the cars.  As for paint, that unfortunately has to be figured out by the user but hopefully only once for a set of cars.  If these gain any use, maybe I can ask what people used to match certain cars and post a chart.

Jason

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »
For starters, Vallejo Model Color "Silver" is a perfect match to the UP cars. NOT their "Aluminum"! Happened to have both on hand.

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 02:22:39 PM »
Thanks for your help.

I intend to paint them brown with a yellow end. GN cars with taconite. (I just wish Atlas would make a six pack or a dozen of them...)

Javier

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
Jason, here's a Roco car with the adapter:

All it took was filing on the ends of the plate. Vertical alignment is perfect. You can see in the shadow over the box that the Roco is straight where the Atlas is curved. I'm certainly not going to worry it. These cars are super-rare and nothing about them is special unless you really, really wanted to make a version for them, if only for the feather in your cap.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »
Thanks for the pic Mike.  I had a couple different cars on hand, but I don't think I had the Roco one.  Instead of a new adapter, I would probably suggest filing the lip on the back of the adapter to allow it to slide forward, and then shape to match.  Unless of course you have dozens of these Roco cars, then I could make some modifications to the file.

Jason

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »
I was actually thinking the opposite direction, a bit of Squadron putty and call it a day. Out of ~130 of these things I found two Rocos; I might have a third in another project box. Not worth the trouble unless and until somebody else comes along with a bunch.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
~Ian

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 05:50:16 PM »
THE PROGRESS OF N SCALE 1970-2017

Even with the TSC upgrade the corner ladders are still just a touch out-of-scale. But we all choose what out-of-scale details we can live with, and what needs to go.
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »
+1
... But we all choose what out-of-scale details we can live with, and what needs to go.

Or living with details so out of whack it would require completely new tooling. Trust me, I've looked long and hard at what it would take to fix the glaring grab, stirrup and ladder problems. And then multiplied it by 120+. Not gonna happen.

However, I have been swapping the fake loads out in favor of Hay Bros. taconite. Much better. Also starting to replace the brake wheels.

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 12:02:54 AM »
The new draw bars are in and they appear successful.  I'm going to send a bunch to Mike (C855B) for some testing to see what the FXD material can handle.

Here's the link if you're interested.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QHZVTWDAC/drawbar-for-atlas-tsc-ore-car-adapter

Tests so far are 100% positive. The first thought crossing my mind when I opened the envelope was "Stout!". I don't think there's anything to worry about with the strength of the FXD material. I haven't put the 50-car test train behind them yet, but I have zero concerns. If there is a handling issue I foresee, it is going to be mishandling with a twisting motion that might pop a press-fit lid off a coupler box. A roll-over derailment might also do this, especially in a train with TSC since they're so tight and will dump the train long before uncoupling.

First test set was four cars with drawbars coupled to five with TSC. Everything smooth as silk, pulled and pushed through crossovers and pretty much everywhere on the layout. No problems through #7 turnouts. (I've discovered Atlas C55 #7 switches have poor transition into the diverging route - I'll get wheel lift coupling the ore cars, quite short at 27',  to 60' cars with TSC.)

Further testing will be with two-car sets unless Jason has a special request for something else. Four cars operated without issue... except putting them on the track with FVM narrow wheelsets. Getting all 32 wheels... count 'em!... on the rails with a hard-connected set reminded me of that guy on the Ed Sullivan Show who balanced those spinning plates on sticks. Once on the track, no problem, but you know you're going to put 'em on the ground sooner or later.