Author Topic: Question re: Understanding Consisting  (Read 4102 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Question re: Understanding Consisting
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 03:00:09 AM »
Then I stand corrected, obviously learning wrong in EE school, or in my head have since tied "BEMF" to the field-collapse noise, not having used the learned material since. Some lab time was spent looking at traces and learning about suppression techniques since my studies at the time was mostly in RF, not motors. Some of that Wiki page material was a real flashback to my textbooks of 50 years ago.

We were playing with crude digital circuits that used the frequency of the spikes as a tachometer, versus measuring the BEMF during the SCR cutoff intervals. Given this was in the '60s I obviously went off half-cocked on the notion that with the magnitudes of advances since then, the MRR control circuits of the past decade are doing the same thing. It seemed obvious. At least to me. But whadda I know? :|

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 03:26:33 AM »
Then I stand corrected, obviously learning wrong in EE school, or in my head have since tied "BEMF" to the field-collapse noise, not having used the learned material since. Some lab time was spent looking at traces and learning about suppression techniques since my studies at the time was mostly in RF, not motors. Some of that Wiki page material was a real flashback to my textbooks of 50 years ago.

We were playing with crude digital circuits that used the frequency of the spikes as a tachometer, versus measuring the BEMF during the SCR cutoff intervals. Given this was in the '60s I obviously went off half-cocked on the notion that with the magnitudes of advances since then, the MRR control circuits of the past decade are doing the same thing. It seemed obvious. At least to me. But whadda I know? :|

You used SCRs to power DC electric motors? Was the power supply delivering unfiltered rectified DC voltage?  SCRs to not turn off until the anode-cathode current drops to zero.

As for the spikes generated by the DC motor you might not be far off. Some manufacturers might actually be using those (in addition to the standard BEMF) as "virtual cam" in steam loco sound decoders. For example the QSI decoders so accurately keep the chuffs in-sync with the drivers that they must be somehow keeping track of the motor armature's rotation. You can actually press your fingers down on a running locomotive and slow it down (like you put a heavy load on it), and the chuffs also slow down and keep in sync with the driver rotation.  I don't think this can be done to that degree with just monitoring BEMF.  But that is just my speculation.
. . . 42 . . .

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 06:29:21 AM »
http://mrdccu.com/curriculum/bemf.htm

Back EMF

I recommend you read the High Frequency Motor Drive page (CLICK HERE) before you read this page. That page provides a bit of background knowledge for what is discussed here.

Back EMF (called BEMF) sensing decoders use the motor's intrinsic ability to function as a generator to sense what speed the motor is running.

When you are running at less than full speed, the decoder only has the power turned on to the motor part time (roughly the percentage of full speed that you are running).

The decoder senses the BEMF generated at less than full speed and adjusts the following pulse lengths to compensate for changes in the motor speed.

Note that nothing in this relates in any way to how fast the pulses are being applied (i. e. whether the decoder is normal or high frequency - with or without Dither).

The response time and memory of the BEMF system determines whether it is an "auto goose" to help the loco past stiction (motor starting frition), a binding mechanism or tight track work issues (short time constant) or "cruise control" to keep the train running at the same speed uphill and down.

One BEMF item which is NOT frequently discussed is the number of bits of resolution. Lenz, as an example, uses a 12 bit system, which will allow the decoder to sense speed variations as small as 0.02%. Other manufacturers may be as coarse as 8 bits (0.3%). The more bits, the smoother the control.
Oct 14, 2013

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 06:31:36 AM »
https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/technical-discussions/decoder-motor-drive/back-emf-bemf

1) BEMF SHORT ANSWER

BEMF is like cruse control for an electric motor.  BEMF refers to a voltage generated by the motor that can, under certain circumstances, be measured by the decoder.  That voltage tells the decoder what rotating speed the motor is going (think speedometer).  With the decoder now knowing the current speed of the motor, the decoder can compare it to the speed requested by the throttle.  If the speed does not match, the decoder then changes the level of power applied to the motor to correct the speed.  The loop of measuring the speed and then adjusting the speed occurs continuously giving you precise regulated motor speed control under wide motor load and speed conditions.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
You used SCRs to power DC electric motors? Was the power supply delivering unfiltered rectified DC voltage? ...

Exactamundo. Put 100uF and 0.01uF on the output to round off the sawtooths a little. It worked pretty well considering how poorly the 1967 Atlas/RR locos ran. Supply was recovered from a cheap slot car set from the previous year's Christmas. It would not surprise me if that throttle was hiding in a junk box somewhere around here; I still have pieces of the original locos. Definitely have the original cars.

Greg Elmassian

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »
Yep EMF is basically exhibited as voltage, and Back EMF is voltage generated in the reverse direction.

Yes, it is caused by the collapse of the magnetic field when you remove power from a winding (as power is applied to the next winding), it's not really the motor acting as a generator, a generator would imply the conversion of force into electricity, i.e. turning the shaft. It is clearly related to the inductance of the windings of the motor, since that inductance affects the BEMF as the magnetic field collapses, more inductance more voltage (also the more rapid the collapse more voltage, etc. etc)

But the reason I am posting is that in Large Scale we often run a single BEMF decoder with BEMF enabled with 4 and 6 motors, so my guess is that the systems "sampling" of BEMF accommodates all these separate BEMF "spikes" somehow, in any case I have not seen it be an issue, and I have 10's of locos so fitted.

Greg

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »
Yep EMF is basically exhibited as voltage, and Back EMF is voltage generated in the reverse direction.

Yes, it is caused by the collapse of the magnetic field when you remove power from a winding (as power is applied to the next winding), it's not really the motor acting as a generator, a generator would imply the conversion of force into electricity, i.e. turning the shaft. It is clearly related to the inductance of the windings of the motor, since that inductance affects the BEMF as the magnetic field collapses, more inductance more voltage (also the more rapid the collapse more voltage, etc. etc)

Greg,
BEMF is not caused by the collapsing magnetic field. Please read or re-read the info posted in several of the links above. A good and clearly written one is the one posted by John:
https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/technical-discussions/decoder-motor-drive/back-emf-bemf
Specifically, "5) THE MOTOR/GENERATOR CONCEPT BEHIND BEMF"
To reiterate, BEMF is utilizing the the ability of the permanent-magnet DC motor to act like a DC generator. BEMF is generated bu the motor windings traveling through the magnetic field of the permanent magnet.
. . . 42 . . .

Greg Elmassian

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »
I read it. It's correct, but a bit flawed in a couple of places, a bit misleading in a few spots. It could use a more detailed explanation, but for the purposes of his article, the simplifications he made get the point across.

Your last statement is not a quote from that document, and in this case, with motors with commutators, your last statement is incorrect.

I don't want to argue with you, and won't.. find an engineer with a EE or a person with a degree in Physics and he'll tell you what I am telling you.

Greg

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »
Great, now you guys have got me reading this thread doing this:

Brings back bad memories of ETMO (electric theory for mechanical operators) class from Navy Nuke School.  Imagine trying to learn this with a group of knuckle dragging, hammer mechanics; I pity our poor instructors.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:53:19 PM by Hornwrecker »
Bob

Greg Elmassian

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 11:16:21 PM »
+1
Yep, it seemed completely weird to me at first, but the right hand rule was a good way to make sure you got the flow of voltage correct. Actually it's always the right hand rule, if you follow the direction of magnetic flux correctly.

We were taught with the last 3 fingers all curling in the direction of magnetic flux, but BEMF sounded weird until you realized that if things "go" a certain way as you energize a coil, then as it is de-energized, things must "go" in the opposite direction.

Greg

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 12:01:36 AM »
I read it. It's correct, but a bit flawed in a couple of places, a bit misleading in a few spots. It could use a more detailed explanation, but for the purposes of his article, the simplifications he made get the point across.
Your last statement is not a quote from that document, and in this case, with motors with commutators, your last statement is incorrect.
I don't want to argue with you, and won't.. find an engineer with a EE or a person with a degree in Physics and he'll tell you what I am telling you.
Greg

Greg, the info was written by an EE. What are your credentials?
I remember, in the past, discussing with you  how electricity flows through conductors (on another group) and once you mentioned "holes" I knew the discussion would go nowhere. "Holes" are only present in semiconductors (not conductors). No point of rehashing that one.   There are also people out there convinced that Earth is flat.  :) But please do not spread misinformation about the BEMF theory.

Yes, the statement you mentioned as "not a quote" was mine. Commutator or not, a permanent-magnet DC motor (which uses a commutator by design) can act as a motor or a generator. You can easily verify that yourself if. If you are willing to learn, please read through the entire https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/technical-discussions/decoder-motor-drive/back-emf-bemf.  It is easy to understand by most mortals (as you said: simplified) and written by an EE.  It also agrees with what I have learned in various electronic courses I took in my career as an electronic repair tech (both analog and digital circuits) and lifelong electronic hobbyist.
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »
Ah!  The Right Hand Rule!  Brings back so many memories of high school and engineering school.  :D

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2017, 10:56:22 AM »
Regarding the "back EMF" discussion that seems to be turing towards argument:  I think you guys are using the same words with different interpretations of the application.  I do NOT have my engineering degrees in EE, but have run across BEMF in more than one context during my career.  I understand and agree with what Peteski is saying about looking at the circuit while the decoder is not providing voltage to see what voltage the "motor" is producing as a generator.  And, I understand the concepts of spikes from brushes making and breaking circuits, which could be used in logic to make decisions about applyhing power or actuating sounds.

But, I have also seen applications of BEMF where there are no spinning motors, just pulsed coils being placed near metalic objects for the purpose of detecting holes in those objects (voids and cracks).  This is looking for signals from magnetic field collapses.

I have also often seen cases, many involving things other than BEMF, where two capable people from different technical disciplines are miscommunicating because they are using the same words while trying to discuss what are two different things that they are assuming are the same thing, based on the differing definitions of the same jargon between disciplines.  Another application of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing."  Since I did not look-up the previous discussion that involved "holes," I don't know if that is what is happening in that thread.

In the context here, it seems that there is some speculation involved about how various manufacturers do, or maybe could apply various principles to various phenomena to achieve more realistic operation for our models.  Without definitive statements from the actual designers about their own products, it seems that there is room for some speculative discussion among us.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:52:42 AM by Maletrain »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
Regarding the "back EMF" discussion that seems to be turing towards argument:  I think you guys are using the same words with different interpretations of the application.  I do NOT have my engineering degrees in EE, but have run across BEMF in more than one context during my career.  I understand and agree with what Peteski is saying about looking at the circuit while the decoder is not providing voltage to see what voltage the "motor" is producing as a generator.  And, I understand the concepts of spikes from brushes making and breaking circuits, which could be used in logic to make decisions about applyhing power or actuating sounds.

But, I have also seen applications of BEMF where there are no spinning motors, just pulsed coils being placed near metalic objects for the purpose of detecting holes in those objects (voids and cracks).  This is looking for signals from magnetic field collapses.

I have also often seen cases, many involving things other than BEMF, where two capable people from different technical disciplines are miscommunicating because they are using the same words while trying to discuss what are two different things that they are assuming are the same thing, based on the differing definitions of the same jargon between disciplines.  Another application of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing."  Since I did not look-up the previous discussion that involved "holes," I don't know if that is what is happening in that thread.

In the context here, it seems that there is some speculation involved about how various manufacturers do, or maybe could apply various principles to various phenomena to achieve more realistic operation for our models.  Without definitive statements from the actual designers about their own products, it seems that there is room for some speculative discussion among us.

No, it is clearly a misunderstanding of the principals of BEMF used by the decoder. Any inductor (a coil, solenoid, or even a winding of one of the poles of a DC motor) has self-inductance. When is either energized or de-energized (there is any change to the amount of current flowing through it)  that self-inductance results in a voltage being generated in the inductor with polarity opposite to the polarity of the external current which was applied to the inductor.  That is EMF or kickback voltage.   That is not what is used by the BEMF circuit of a decoder to determine motor's rotational speed. Instead, it is the voltage generated by the armature (inductor) crossing the magnetic field of the permanent magnets (the motor acting as a DC generator).  Those are separate and different phenomena.
. . . 42 . . .