Author Topic: Con-Cor Kato and China made "SW1500" wheel/axles  (Read 1175 times)

scaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
Con-Cor Kato and China made "SW1500" wheel/axles
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
Hi
I am wondering whether the wheel/axle design on these units is the same as on the Kato RS3 and the PA1 etc, that is, with the wheel and a sleeved half-axle as a one piece part? 

I'm interested in it for the shorter (?) wheelbase (so the LL unit is no use as it has correct 8' wheelbase.)

That, and the ability to regauge Katos of that era.

Ben
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 12:18:48 PM by scaro »

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Re: Con-Cor Kato and China made "SW1500" wheel/axles
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
Well, I do know the Kato GP50 uses the same wheelset as the Concor/Kato SW1500 chassis as well as the Concor "Cow" and SW1200 chassis...at least the one I popped into a GP50 seemed to work fine. The wheels on these have a blunt face and do not employ the common point-in-an-axle-cup system to conduct power, instead transferring power from the inside of the wheel with a combination of wheel wipers (I've seen a couple different wiper types in the above switchers) and simple contact with the (metal) axle sleeve and the metal truck assembly in a friction bearing sort of arrangement (if that's the correct term). The axles themselves are plastic and act as an insulator. I think these wheelsets probably got used in more locos, especially any that do not use axle cups, as I've purchased extra wheelsets that were advertised as for "older Kato". Also, I've found that the Concor/Kato SW1500's came with shiny silver wheels and the Concor Cow and SW1200 came with much more brassy looking wheels. Note, there is at least one other drive (Rivarossi) that got used under the exact same switcher shell that uses an entirely different wheel type and arrangement. Also the Concor/Kato SW1500's came with a traction tire on two wheels.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:06:53 PM by tehachapifan »

scaro

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
Thanks Russ, that confirms what I was hoping ... I think the basics of that design were established with the original Kato PAs done for Seksui (??) in the 60s. 

Four drives under the 'SW1500' according to Spookshow. i do not know whether the China produced Con-Cor ones copied the Kato design or used some other system.

Cheers, Ben

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »
With the few that I have of both the Con-Cor/Kato ones and what I believe are what you are referring to as the China/Con-Cor ones, they employ the exact same drive design, with the exception of the aforementioned traction tire on the Con-Cor/Kato ones, brassy vs. silver wheels and some variations with the shape and number of wheel wipers (some have a wiper on only one side of each truck but, if I recall correctly, I have one that has a wiper on both sides of the truck).

scaro

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »
Thanks Russ, sounds like I can buy either then.  Cheers, Ben