Author Topic: What and When was the most recent Walther's model released?  (Read 1242 times)

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +271
    • The Modern PRR
Re: What and When was the most recent Walther's model released?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »
+2
Was there a personnel change that's driving this? Or just business focus?

Business focus.  They know their market is in their structures, not rolling stock and locomotives.

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »
I spoke with Kirk Reddy of N Scale Modeler and was told that Lowell Smith has purchased the line of Walthers n Scale lightweight passenger cars. I hope it’s true
Tom Todd

+1

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »
+1
Business focus.  They know their market is in their structures, not rolling stock and locomotives.

Heck, they market is HO, not N regardless of be it structures, rolling stock or locomotives. Heck I wish they would bring more structures to N scale just the same.

Chris
Attempting to model the SP in 2012...

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
+1
I think it was the Difco ballast car, not certain though.

The Greenville 2 bay aggregate hopper was after the Difco ballast car. I'm not sure if it's the latest though @ryan_wilkerson
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 06:53:15 PM »
The Greenville 2 bay aggregate hopper was after the Difco ballast car. I'm not sure if it's the latest though @ryan_wilkerson

I remember them releasing those...I think that was a decade ago also. I need a few more SP to finish my ballast train.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 02:01:07 AM »
The only Walthers freight car I really need is the log cars, and fortunately I have a 3-pack still waiting to be lettered.  Right now I have enough log cars for my needs, but a few more in storage would be nice.

Only car I've ever seen where the truck pins were glued in and the log bunks weren't.  Good thing that the end bunks covered the top of the bolster hole, so I could drill the pins out.  Broke two trucks in the first 3-pack trying to remove them...
N Kalanaga
Be well

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 05:59:26 AM »
Heck, they market is HO, not N regardless of be it structures, rolling stock or locomotives. Heck I wish they would bring more structures to N scale just the same.

Chris

Walthers is first and foremost an HO scale company. They release new products (no re-releases) in N scale like once every 10 years but will release new HO models every month. Their line of N scale containers is a joke. Same paint schemes released over 20 years ago, but nearly twice the price.
Under the streets of Los Angeles

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +124
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
The last walkers release was a rerun of the Thrall double stacks about 2-3 years ago. They were over priced and featured the same clunky tooling as the original. They did not sell well. The previous release was their GP38-2 I believe, which got dumped on eBay for $50 a pop. Good for Conrail Quality modelers. Bad for Walthers.

We know a few companies have inquired about taking over Walthers n scale line, but the company requested about astronomical amount. I am extremely skeptical that LS bought the tooling. Maybe he financed a run of cars?

I consider all Walthers and LL products lost tooling at this point. Which is really sad as their steam was really good, and they had a great line of diesels (FA1/2, BL2, SD7, PA, etc.).
"These violent snowflakes..."

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »
The last walkers release was a rerun of the Thrall double stacks about 2-3 years ago. They were over priced and featured the same clunky tooling as the original. They did not sell well. The previous release was their GP38-2 I believe, which got dumped on eBay for $50 a pop. Good for Conrail Quality modelers. Bad for Walthers.

We know a few companies have inquired about taking over Walthers n scale line, but the company requested about astronomical amount. I am extremely skeptical that LS bought the tooling. Maybe he financed a run of cars?

I consider all Walthers and LL products lost tooling at this point. Which is really sad as their steam was really good, and they had a great line of diesels (FA1/2, BL2, SD7, PA, etc.).

I wouldn't be skeptical on the LS rumor.  Walthers only had what, one passenger car and the baggage car? 

As for the locos, not sure who the players that would be in, but seems like a MT would be a good choice to try and get the chassis in their hands for the SW.

RSWController

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »
At Trainfest they had decorated samples for the impending release of the SW1200. The IHB and EJE both looked spectacular. Said they are still expected by the end of the year.  I asked specifically about the new, modern gas station and Culver’s in N and I got a we hope so.

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »
+1
I spoke with Kirk Reddy of N Scale Modeler and was told that Lowell Smith has purchased the line of Walthers n Scale lightweight passenger cars. I hope it’s true
Tom Todd

This I can confirm.  I talked to Lowell himself.

Andrew Hegstad

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
Walthers site still shows they have the Thrall 5-Unit Articulated 48' Well Cars in stock so that has to be the latest run (it only SEEMS like forever since the last run on anything). The SW-1200 is SUPPOSED to be re-released in Dec 2017. Other than that, I can't find anything other than a limited release of old building kits.

Black hole...
Sacramento Valley NTrak

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +341
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 12:48:38 PM »
+1
HEY!!!!!!

Oops, sorry @Shipsure, it didn't read that way when I was doing it.  :facepalm:

How's this -

It's just an old joke from when I used to go to 3D animation conventions and people would give out their demo tapes to all the companies.  Pretty sure they all went straight into the dumpster.

Jason