Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/12/17  (Read 14194 times)

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
Re: Weekend Update 11/12/17
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2017, 10:14:14 PM »
Mark the person flying the Beaver did an excellent job of landing on the the short contaminated runway located behind the station. Lame a$$ humor aside great modelling.

All the more impressive, as those don't appear to be amphibious floats on the Beaver!

Cheers.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2017, 10:21:47 PM »
You could still develop one, I'd buy a few!

Not necessary when you have a quality model designed.   :)  Sell them, make a lot of people happy.  I would buy a pair myself, one to paint in Erie colors and the other Conrail MOW.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Everon Railways

• Respect: +39
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2017, 10:22:26 PM »
Makes sense.  I've been planning on building some B&O I-5 wooden cabs at some point similar to what you're doing.  I haven't thought about warping though.   I've done 2d drawings but not 3d drawings yet.
Good luck with your project. I've had far too many shipments from Shapeways that either went in trash or sat unused, due to poor printing, falling on the floor and breaking, trying different materials, model revisions, under frame/bolster/wheel/ clearance issues,figuring out casting challenges, etc. In fact my last shipment should be here soon, the hand brake stands, which is the second revision of those for ease of assembly and better appearance.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3081
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »
+2
A friend came over to help get layout cleaned up and running for open house next weekend (NMRA sponsored event, see details in Crew Lounge) today.  Found some dead sidings and turnouts that needed cleaned up, so I dropped some additional feeders and things are 95% better. 
After dinner, I went back to the basement and decided I'd throw the handrails on my SW1200.  I had already glued and painted the Gold Metal stanchions to the sill a while ago.  About 15 minutes later, I had both sides soldered up.  I reused the end railings from Lifelike.  I wanted to reuse the handrails from the steps to the back of cab but was missing one so I made those from wire as well.  Don't look too close.

I also received a second CF7 kit.  I requested a replacement cab as it seemed the package took a little bit of rough ride getting here, a couple window posts had broke.  Randy suggested some CA glue to fix, which would probably be good but I'd like to start with a fresh cab so one was sent, along with a GP7 shell .  I got the shell cut and nose casting glued and secured to the shell.  This will become YorkRail #1502.

As for that other cab, it did get put to use.  I have been bothered by the fact that the window arrangement was not correct, even with my half assed attempt at making the third window.  My cab had the windows centered, where the YorkRail engines I'm modeling had them set forward.  So I took Randy's advice and went about fixing the posts.  It took a couple tries but I did get them back in place.  Then I went about removing the cab from my other unit.  I was somewhat worried about ruining an almost finished model but it came off rather easy.  Almost too easy.  I will need to make sure when I put new one on to be a little more liberal with the glue.  I got replacement cab primed and painted this evening and test fit back on the shell.  Still have to putty the seams and square up where it meets frame but it will be good to go. 

Decals are in hand, hoping to get some time this week to get them on the model.  Maybe I can have it done by the weekend.

Everon Railways

• Respect: +39
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »
Finally had the knee surgery done on the 8th of Nov.  Today I was actually able to make it downstairs, but very slowly.

After getting a lot of work on the layout over the past summer and fall I wanted to take a break for a bit.  I've been itching to get back to work on my loco roster. I've got a lot to paint and few that need some milling.   So since sitting sounded like a good thing today I pulled out my LifeLike GP18's.

I started these a few years ago, but got side tracked and they got shoved back on the pile.  Not a fan of the LifeLike drives so I thought I'd try stuffing and Atlas GP7/9 DCC ready chassis under these.  So far so good.

All done, just needs the tanks snapped on, some details added, some touch up and weathering.

I've got two more GP18's to modify.

NICE! It's great to see it can be done. I was thinking of doing that with the Life Like C424, but that is a ways out and haven't looked to see if there is a valid candidate out there. BTW, always had a fondness for the Rock. That eclectic mid 60's commuter parade out of Chicago...good lord!!!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2017, 12:47:29 AM »
Aaron:  Are there five visible exterior pieces in a prototype brake cylinder?
N Kalanaga
Be well

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
Test

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »
Test

Crap, nobody told me that there would be a test today.   :D

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2017, 08:51:27 AM »
I think it will be multiple choice.  :)

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »
Aaron:  Are there five visible exterior pieces in a prototype brake cylinder?

It's a kit made from flat wooden sheets. So to make a 3d item, yes it needs five parts. Doesn't look half bad either.  Just overly complicated when simpler solutions are available.

Divide by two, Joe,  and that's roughly my age. :D If the gene pool tea leaves are right, I've got a little over ten more years of perfect vision.   Reading glasses after that.
Aaron Bearden

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5391
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
+2
A weekend jaunt to North Carolina netted some research on weathering...

Kitbashing

Modern prototype main line railroading

and interesting paint schemes for small switchers.

And of course, some scenery

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »
Starting to work  on the 56" long LAUPT Mail and Express building, or the first 8"of it....lots of windows :facepalm:
But it's a beautiful day here in Cucamonga, so I took it to the outside workbench, normally used for cutting benchwork lumber, spraybombing building walls and other such dirty works.
It's nice to be able to work outside this time of year 8)
If I'm lucky, and chief :ashat: is nice enough, perhaps I can even upload pics again.... :D
Otto K.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »
+5
I am privileged to belong to a group of fine friends and fellow PGE/BCR modellers each of whom models a different era and locale on the same railway.  Several of our members are long time Railwire members.  Each November we come together from different parts of the province (and the U.S.) to mount a display at Vancouver Train Expo which celebrates the railway we model in N Scale.  Next to us is a companion display by a group of HO Scale PGE/BCR modellers.  Our N Scale display features an operating Unitrack loop, an array of models from different eras, and display boards illustrating our home layouts:

A 1952 freight train, passenger cars, and structure mock-ups by Greg (aka PGE Modeller):

My Prince George Auxiliary with Doug (aka BCR 751)'s crane and idler, my Provincial Museum Train, and a few current MoW projects:

An array of freight car and MoW projects by Nolan, including the Squamish Auxiliary:

A trio of recently completed freight car kits by our newest member Philippe:

A collection of motive power and freight cars by Chris (aka BCOL747):

A display of BC Rail passenger equipment by Jim, who joins us each year from New Mexico:

Some of our crew with Philippe's switching layout based on a location in the North Vancouver yard:

This morning Doug and Nolan came over for a mini operating session, during which they operated a revenue freight train from Sundance to Dawson Creek and back.  I have held several of these mini sessions to try out operator interface, car forwarding and switch lists.  Here they are during switching at Dawson Creek:

The 2017 VTE show was attended by nearly 6,000 people over two days during which we saw many families with children; hopefully some future members for our hobby!

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2017, 01:51:02 AM »
Aaron:  That makes sense, and yes, it does sound overly complicated.

Years ago I bought a batch of brake parts from Precision Scale.  At the time I didn't know they MADE N scale parts, but they had some very nice freight car brake cylinders and reservoirs.  The cylinders even include the piston rod and clevis, ready to have a lever glued in, all in gray styrene.  If those are still available, they'd look good on today's well-detailed models.
N Kalanaga
Be well

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:59 AM »

Years ago I bought a batch of brake parts from Precision Scale.  At the time I didn't know they MADE N scale parts, but they had some very nice freight car brake cylinders and reservoirs.  The cylinders even include the piston rod and clevis, ready to have a lever glued in, all in gray styrene.  If those are still available, they'd look good on today's well-detailed models.

Precision Scale still makes parts.  I think the rub is a high minimum order.

Catalog -

https://www.precisionscaleco.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/N-Scale-WOP.pdf

Price list -

https://www.precisionscaleco.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/N-Scale-price-list-Mar2017.pdf

Jason