Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/12/17  (Read 14196 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: Weekend Update 11/12/17
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2017, 12:10:27 AM »
Nah, that's just a crappy glazing on the Heljan window glass.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2017, 04:11:02 AM »
+4
Probably should have started a thread but I'm pretty near done with anything to post and this is old anyway. ;) :D

Here are a few phone pics of where I got with this and it satisfied my initial concerns.  Much to learn but nothing to be afraid of.   Especially with folks around to bail you out when you get stuck. ;) :D  Thanks all. 

In addition to the shades, drapes, and old packaging for glazing, I made some card stock interior components.  There are some shelves, a meat cooler with a piece of cut out clear packaging utilizing its curved edge for the top curve of the glass, and a checkout counter with a carved styrene cash register.  It could still use some more interior details including a shopper or two but this whole deal has been just the exercise I needed to try this stuff out.  Other than a few people I think the interior is done for this one and I probably will actually use it somewhere. 8)  That was not the original intent.

In the course of it I changed the original experimental drapes in the front three windows from the stark white of copy paper to a light gray and then finished the rest of the building with drapes and shades.  To me they still appear white but not glaring and I'm satisfied with their color.  Then added some dry transfer letters in a window as well as scaled printout pieces for shelf stock.  Amazing how that works. 8)  And finally some leds to play with the lighting.  I will still do more with that as I want to come up with some standard components for light installs.

It's been ages since I fooled with any building modelling and never anything approaching this kind of detail.  At the time it was more of a light bulb inside an HO building with construction paper fitted to black out the walls.  :facepalm:

Mark G.

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2017, 05:09:20 AM »
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2017, 05:12:21 AM »
Probably should have started a thread but I'm pretty near done with anything to post and this is old anyway. ;) :D

Here are a few phone pics of where I got with this and it satisfied my initial concerns.  Much to learn but nothing to be afraid of.   Especially with folks around to bail you out when you get stuck. ;) :D  Thanks all. 

It's been ages since I fooled with any building modelling and never anything approaching this kind of detail.  At the time it was more of a light bulb inside an HO building with construction paper fitted to black out the walls.  :facepalm:

Very nice - looks good!
. . . 42 . . .

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2017, 05:15:56 AM »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2017, 01:56:23 AM »
Jane:  Years ago that would have been a big deal.  It wouldn't necessarily have been "in-room" plumbing, but a shared toilet/bath at the end of the hall would have been a big improvement over an outhouse and hand-filled washtub.  So, yes, around the turn of the 19th-20th centuries that would have been prominently advertised.
N Kalanaga
Be well

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
+1
Jane:  Years ago that would have been a big deal.  It wouldn't necessarily have been "in-room" plumbing, but a shared toilet/bath at the end of the hall would have been a big improvement over an outhouse and hand-filled washtub.  So, yes, around the turn of the 19th-20th centuries that would have been prominently advertised.
Errrr...check the spelling on the side of the building.  I think that is what Jane was getting at. Although having seen such things on Chicago buildings, it may be entirely prototypical for the building modeled.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »

Thanks. As Tom D. mentioned, it's the spelling error on the model I was questioning  ;)

Jane

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »
Indoor pumbing ??

Jane

Yeah, it was the decal supplied in the kit.
I'm not going to sweat it.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2017, 02:42:43 AM »
+1
OK, I see it now.  I've seen so much bad spelling on official memos and signs at the plant I work at that I tend to look right past errors.

And, no, it isn't "furriners".  These are supposedly educated American citizens, running an expanding auto parts plant, who can't spell, and apparently can't use a spell checker.

And, yes, it may be prototypical.  Some of the old-time sign painters weren't great spellers either, and by the time the business owner noticed the mistake, it would be expensive to change.  I doubt that most visitors will notice it, any more than I did.
N Kalanaga
Be well