Author Topic: My photos get around  (Read 6464 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
Re: My photos get around
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
That name seems made up, like a placeholder that was used while they tracked down the real person - but never did.

I don't know about that but he is a pretty prolific poster over on Joe Fugati's forums for MRH magazine. A bit long-winded sometimes but usually fairly well thought-out contributions. I agree with whoever said to contact Joe because if it was an honest mistake he'll fix it.
Peter Pfotenhauer

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 11:04:49 PM »
+2
I’m looking forward to Con-Cor Con, myself.  I plan to attend the “model railroading and border walls” clinic.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 07:58:21 AM »
No, you don't need to wear a costume, but bringing and entering a well-build Tamiya-brand model kit helped to blend in with the crowd.  :D
Here is some info: https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/what-is-tamiya-con--183?article-id=183
Unfortunately the gathering is not longer taking place. Probably due to the declining model sales and the fact that the Tamiya US headquarters was downsized.  But the all-expenses-paid trip to Japan is something I'll never forget.
The TamiyaCON 2005 page is here.

At the risk of thread drift (:D), tell us more about your trip and the contest.  So you were an actual winner.  Nice!  We have a (Tamyia) Master Modeler in our presence.  :)

p51

• Crew
  • Respect: +633
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »
A photo I took of WW2 cartoonist Bill Mauldin's grave has been making the rounds for years. I took the photo and sent it to his youngest son, who I suspect shared it with the planet. It annoys me when it pops up in emails to me every now and then.
A photo of some stuff from my collection turned up as the covers of a series of books, self-published.
I was ticked to see that, even though it's small time and I think the guy just grabs stuff online and complies books from them. I emailed him twice saying to take it off or I'll call a lawyer (with no response), but after doing some research, I think he's such smalltime it isn't worth it. He sells books off Amazon and the moment he lists any book there with that photo, I'm contacting Amazon directly.
When I was more into doing WW2-related cartoons and art, re-enacting groups used to steal me stuff for their websites all the time, saying they were non-profits so they could take and choose what they want.
Yeah, I found one 'webmaster' lived near me and he didn't know that. Should have seen the look on his face when I showed up at his front door telling him to remove them right now or the next knock will be from an attorney (at the time I had a pal of mine who was a lawyer who owed me a big favor). I think the word went out from there and I haven't heard of it happening again.

CNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 08:58:26 PM »
+1
A photo taken for a structure kit review in RMC later showed up as part of the album cover for The Grateful Dead's Terrapin Station. RMC noted the fact in a later issue, under the heading "We're grateful, we think .."

p51

• Crew
  • Respect: +633
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 05:05:45 PM »
A photo taken for a structure kit review in RMC later showed up as part of the album cover for The Grateful Dead's Terrapin Station. RMC noted the fact in a later issue, under the heading "We're grateful, we think .."
I'd never heard of that before:

Did anyone get royalties off that?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:07:22 PM by p51 »

CNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »
Here's the original photo, from the March '77 issue.

The kit was by a company called The Structure Co., Reno Nevada, and was based on a prototype built in the 1880s located on the Denver, South Park, and Pacific at Mt. Princeton.
I'm still looking for the rest of my old RMCs to find the issue where they mentioned the album cover.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »
I'd never heard of that before:

Did anyone get royalties off that?

The trees are clearly old Woodland Scenic kits.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Trainmaster247

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »
Just contact joe from the magazine about this, I have met the prof in person and he is not a bad guy, It kinda pains me to see people saying stuff like this but not really trying to get it fixed. I know joe too and have talked to him in person you may even get some compensation for having your photos used.