Author Topic: Black Hawk & Ironwood - Hon30 Mini Southwest Layout  (Read 9056 times)

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
Re: Black Hawk & Ironwood - Hon30 Mini Southwest Layout
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2023, 09:46:17 PM »
+5

It’s not pretty YET but it’s running! Lots of adjustments needed.

I had forgotten to use insulated joiners since I’ve never used this track before. For some reason I thought it had smarts. But no, it doesn’t. Big thanks for @Chris333 for helping me understand where the gaps needed to be.

On ward and upward.
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1209
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2023, 09:58:14 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I’ve used Peco code 55 and 80 turnouts in N and code 70 in HOn3 and haven’t had a problem yet, but I’ve never used their HOn30/OO9 line. I’ll definitely check out the Peco documentation. I always use insulated joiners when electrofrogs go frog-to-frog which they all do in my plan.

And to address the Fast Tracks comment again, there’s also cost. For 5 turnouts (one of which is a wye, so that would be two templates), the templates and supplies would vastly out-cost 5 commercial turnouts. Even if I chose to only do straight turnouts (no wye), I’d be paying quite a bit more and still have to find hours of hobby time to build them.

EDIT: Sorry @timwatson for hijacking your thread! Now back to you awesome build that inspired me to do the same!

At the risk of dragging this on even further, there is a distinction worth making. The suggestion was for Fast Tracks templates, not fixtures. The fixtures are expensive, but the templates are a free download from their website, you then print them out. I'm sure the Peco track will work fine, but making track with templates is something to have in the back of ones mind.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8451
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2023, 11:33:25 PM »
At the risk of dragging this on even further, there is a distinction worth making. The suggestion was for Fast Tracks templates, not fixtures. The fixtures are expensive, but the templates are a free download from their website, you then print them out. I'm sure the Peco track will work fine, but making track with templates is something to have in the back of ones mind.

...and known to be beyond my skillset. Handlaying has never brought me joy. Thankfully I don't have to!

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2023, 08:59:47 AM »

Like I stated earlier, I started with a template and then made the 3d fixture you see a few posts earlier. This is still my thread and not Dave’s. His thread is here, https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=55908.0
Tim Watson

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2023, 12:19:11 PM »
And to address the Fast Tracks comment again, there’s also cost. For 5 turnouts (one of which is a wye, so that would be two templates), the templates and supplies would vastly out-cost 5 commercial turnouts. Even if I chose to only do straight turnouts (no wye), I’d be paying quite a bit more and still have to find hours of hobby time to build them.

EDIT: Sorry @timwatson for hijacking your thread! Now back to you awesome build that inspired me to do the same!

Dave and anyone else that is doing a layout with a small number of turnouts like Tim's excellent creation here, I wasn't suggesting buying Fast Track jigs, but using the printable templates they provide on their website.  They are available to download for free.  Those and a small package of PCB ties and a little bit of rail are all you would need to purchase, as I assume you have some files and a soldering iron.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2023, 09:32:10 AM »
+1
I had been working on my own 3d printed tie strips recently. I think I finally have a version I like that will work well. I need to wire this up this was an old TTrak double module frame I had. It’s approx 14”x24” in hindsight I should have painted the ties first then laid the rail but it’ll be ok I think. It look an evening to get the ties glued and rail laid in.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 09:33:41 AM by timwatson »
Tim Watson

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2023, 01:34:30 PM »
+1
That's going to be fun little piece over in the corner of the room.
How fun would it be to put the whole thing on a turntable the revolves slowly in one direction while the little guy runs in the other!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

timwatson

• Crew
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2023, 03:54:39 PM »
How fun would it be to put the whole thing on a turntable the revolves slowly in one direction while the little guy runs in the other!

Lee

The Blackhawk is setup just like that. It’s on a lazy Susan but I think you’re saying have a small and large layout on top of one another.
Tim Watson

Scott1984

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2024, 01:49:01 PM »
Hi Tim,
Really like what you are doing on your Blackhawk layout. Looking forward to seeing more updates on it. It looks like you are working on another small layout as well. Do you have a name for that one?