Author Topic: Gibbon, Cozad & Western - "The 100th Meridian Line"  (Read 156342 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +839
Re: Gibbon, Cozad & Western - "The 100th Meridian Line"
« Reply #1680 on: July 18, 2019, 12:43:11 PM »
... you can set up a date with the OPSsig for a OPS session and have a day set aside for just operators. Most would drive that far to just to operate. I can plan on being around to help you out if need be, or just be a operator.

HmmmmmMMMMMMmmmm... ;)  That's a great idea, actually. I have a friend here involved in the OPS group and he participates in a session every month. I'll need to get the industry tracks finished first, however. Oops.

Shite.  Now I wish we had been able to swing by too. ...

Not meaning to rub it in, but when Rodney and Kristi walked in they echoed a sentiment I had heard before, along the lines of "Holy cow. The pictures don't do it justice". I'm certainly humbled by that, but there is something about the big space with wall-to-wall sky that can be a little overwhelming when first experienced.

All that said - pics or it didn't happen.

Yeah, shame on us. When they hit the driveway apron on the way out was my "Oh, crap!" moment for that.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #1681 on: July 18, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
Shite.  Now I wish we had been able to swing by too.

I had been quietly considering St. Louis for an NMRA visit as it is on the way to the in laws in Green Bay . . . . Hum.

All  that said - pics or it didn't happen.

If you ever get the chance, you need to, it worth the stop.

Yeah, shame on us. When they hit the driveway apron on the way out was my "Oh, crap!" moment for that.

I thought about it a few miles up the road.
Oh well, we can do it when I get back over there in September.
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +839
« Reply #1682 on: July 20, 2019, 02:32:22 AM »
Minor updates. First are revisions to the track plan. Nothing major, really, mostly reorganizing the labeling and color-coding for better clarity on the construction phases. Lengthened the Phase 2 peninsula to soak up the two feet gained from replacing the awkward lobe below Cheyenne with the DS desk:

Scenery is making headway on the temporary loop below Gibbon. We had been trying to take advantage of the mis-tinted paint rejects at the various D-I-Y stores for our soil base colors and actually did find a couple we thought we could use... until I painted nearly the entire loop area and Robyn pointed-out, "Uh... that looks like eggshell sheen. I thought you wanted flat."

Well, crap. So much for that idea, the particular paint brand uses nonstandard nomenclature for sheens and I didn't pick up on it. Fortunately Menards has a super-cheap Pittsburgh paint (it's what we used for the sky), so we picked a couple of close tints, and a 50/50 mix of the two did the trick. Experimenting off-layout with a particular unsanded grout as a soil analogue was today's task with good results, so some of it will go down tomorrow, followed by static grass. Robyn is still working on trees, and we think we've arrived at a quick solution for coloring the Super Trees stems. (For those following the other thread about this, not spray painting. We'll apprise and post pix after the experiments get the final tweaks.)

I was informed today to expect a VIP visit next week. A model manufacturer of note (to be named after the visit) will be coming into town for our region's RPM meet next weekend, and a local friend who helps this company with prototype research is putting him up at his place. We had met before on a couple of occasions, he may or may not remember me, but he's going to be a bit surprised when he discovers we are modeling the same RR, era and relatively obscure area. I'm going to put some "Easter eggs" for him out on the layout, a few photos from our research trip last year. So we'll have a lot to chat about.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross