Author Topic: Gibbon, Cozad & Western - "The 100th Meridian Line"  (Read 200913 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1355
Re: Gibbon, Cozad & Western - "The 100th Meridian Line"
« Reply #1890 on: July 02, 2020, 12:20:14 AM »
+7
You know that old adage, "You always find it in the last place you looked." Well, duh. But in this case, I had been rifling through boxes for about a week both at home and at the studio, and was down to the very last tote they could've possibly been in, in the back and bottom of a stack of 15 totes of train supplies, and getting really, really concerned that I had lost them; they were essentially irreplaceable, and very expensive if I could.

Found 'em!:

Along with a brown recluse spider in the bottom of the tote, which was quickly dispatched.

I acquired these BLMA bridges over the span [pun!] of a decade, knowing there was an Afton Canyon end game somewhere in the distant future. And here we are. I elected to only do a single 200' span to represent the west crossing (1:1 has two, as modeled by @jpwisc here), spending the shekels to do the more interesting but lesser-seen east crossing.

Progress on this end of the peninsula is going a lot slower than planned; I was hoping to at least have the mainline operable by today. There were several mental blocks in the terraforming, but with the bridges in hand there's renewed clarity, including [...shuffling his feet...] the realization that the terraced benchwork now puts the RR too high above the river bottom. Yeah, fixing it is only yet more pink foam. (Grumble.)
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Never trust anyone lacking a sense of humor.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
« Reply #1891 on: July 02, 2020, 12:50:44 AM »
Nice save!  Those bridges will be a nice scene for sure.

Frank

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #1892 on: July 02, 2020, 01:16:19 AM »
+2
Thanks, Frank!

BTW, I stand corrected - Atlas has current stock on the 200' camelback, so I could do the full span by the campground if I wanted to. Still costly, tho'. The 150'-er is nowhere to be found, however. Glad I snatched-up the one when I did.
...mike

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +653
« Reply #1893 on: July 02, 2020, 01:43:55 AM »
Is the 150'er really all that much different than the much cheaper and readily available Central Valley bridge?

I think I've got 4 or 5 of those.
I've built one mostly stock as a test and since have acquired enough spare parts to make the pin connected ones I'll need for the Northern Pacific's iterations.
I may just sell the one I've built as it really would be hard to retrofit to a pin connected version.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #1894 on: July 02, 2020, 07:51:36 AM »
+1
Is the 150'er really all that much different than the much cheaper and readily available Central Valley bridge? ...

I'll look. I also have a handful of the CV kits in original and modernized versions for other points on the layout, one assembled. One immediate difference I can think of is walkways.

There's only the one 150' truss in the canyon, so my concern was replacing if it came down to that.
...mike

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +943
« Reply #1895 on: July 02, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »
Mike, those bridges will be gorgeous!
(They already are).
Otto

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +276
« Reply #1896 on: July 02, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
Now, as to the Brown Recluse... call an exterminator. Where there’s one, there’s a bunch more you haven’t found... yet and you don’t want to mess with those.

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #1897 on: July 02, 2020, 03:26:55 PM »
+1
This answers our questions on CV versus BLMA on the 150' truss:

I was surprised in the side by side comparison; the CV is based on a much lighter prototype. I was planning to use four as-is, thinking "close enough" for the Meadow Valley Wash portion of the layout, but they're really not appropriate for a heavy Class I main. However, a little bit of light kitbashing such as beefing-up the diagonals and adding gussets should put the look in the ballpark.
...mike

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +541
« Reply #1898 on: July 04, 2020, 06:15:22 PM »
+2
Murphy's Law says that one will show up the same day it's designated "finished".  :facepalm:  Anyway, the issue is the period: daylighted in '57, I model 1970.

Hate to disappoint Edward Murphy, but I found some UP company photos you might find interesting.  :D

And on the Subject of Tunnel vs Daylight... Why not both?  :D Bend the timeline a little bit and model the Daylighting process...

All photos Union Pacific.

Ryan in Alberta

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #1899 on: July 04, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
/>
+10 for you! Thanks, Ryan.

That top shot of the east portal looks to be of the aftermath of the big flood in 1938.
...mike