Author Topic: 0.025" connectors for decoders  (Read 1155 times)

LarryN

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
0.025" connectors for decoders
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:25:13 AM »
Hello folks,

I am hoping to replace a decoder in my BLI AC 6000 loco, and turn it to straight DC (long story...). The decoder board has two, 8 pin connectors (female) spacing, as near as I can determine between the pins is 0.025". Where can I procure some of these female connectors? I can cut and splice (and will if it comes to that) but I rather just make a small board the will socket into existing wiring, and put my resistors, diodes etc for lights onto it.
I looked at some website associated with decoders, but could not determine either pin spacing or the gender of the connector.

Larry N

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Re: 0.025" connectors for decoders
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
Larry, most of these are measured in MM. I did not see a good cross for .025 inch to MM.
Try looking for JST CONNECTORS , That might help you.

crusader27529

• Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »
The connectors on other decoders, specifically QSI of similar type are actually 1.5mm size, and that should be what you have, but since I don't have exactly what you have, it's an educated guess.

LarryN

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:40:54 AM »
Larry, most of these are measured in MM. I did not see a good cross for .025 inch to MM.
Try looking for JST CONNECTORS , That might help you.

Thanks, I will try them. Solderless breadboard for prototyping electronics are spaced at 0.1". Smaller connectors are half that, and these appear to again half as small as that. It converts to 0.635 mm or so.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:18 PM »
I don't have that loco. My BLI Centipede decoder uses connectors with 1mm spacing, so it is different than yours.  And one would think that BLI would standardize. . .

As others mentioned, most connectors are designed using metric measurements.  You could look through the vast inventories of industrial parts suppliers like Digikey, Mouser Electronics, or Allied Electronics. The problem is that it seems the Chinese manufacturers use different type of connectors than what is available in the states. The pin spacing might be the same, but they shapes are different.  You could also look on eBay - many sellers from China sell electronic parts through eBay.
. . . 42 . . .

LarryN

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:13:24 AM »
Peteski,

I too have a couple of BLI centipedes, and yeah alas, not the same connectors. BLI told me they are made elsewhere and do not have any info. I have tried my usual electronics vendor pushers, such as digikey, mouser, jameco. so far, no real luck. I have a few old PC boards out of FAX machines and printers, and there are connectors with the same spacing, but socket sizes are all over. I think I will just splice and be done with it.

Larry N

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
Peteski,

I too have a couple of BLI centipedes, and yeah alas, not the same connectors. BLI told me they are made elsewhere and do not have any info. I have tried my usual electronics vendor pushers, such as digikey, mouser, jameco. so far, no real luck. I have a few old PC boards out of FAX machines and printers, and there are connectors with the same spacing, but socket sizes are all over. I think I will just splice and be done with it.

Larry N

You know, you could always contact BLI and explain what you are trying to do. Maybe they have spare wire harness they can let you have.  Often model RR companies are willing to give/sell oddball service parts they normally don't sell.
. . . 42 . . .