Author Topic: THIS is why...  (Read 6460 times)

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
Re: THIS is why...
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »
I tried to use the BFS for holding the tire to the wheel but I have never been successful in using it to evenly fill a traction tire groove.

Does it usually build up more in one spot than others place on the wheel?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
Dave, that line was from a movie, presented in jest.

Ah. Well then, ignore my stupid post and carry on.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »
Dave, that line was from a movie, presented in jest.

But yeah, my N scale days are almost necessarily numbered.  Big neurology appointment this week.  So far the news hasn't been encouraging.

Major Payne reporting for duty sir!
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »
Does it usually build up more in one spot than others place on the wheel?

I tried it on a brass loco that'd thrown a traction tire and yes, I could never get it so that it wasn't too high in some spots and too low in others.

I think the #34 just became an organ donor but at least I still have one correct tire should her replacement also throw one.

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »
Sorry to hear about the frustration, certainly contributed to my switching to HO. I cannot imagine maintaining some of the larger N scale layouts on this board (kudos to those of you who can! Really!). The relative mass of HO certainly helped with my operational issues in N. I have not had near the mechanical frustration in HO and maintenance while a necessity is a little bit less delicate and for someone as hamfisted as myself it lends to a better overall experience. Best of luck and success for good operation at the train show!
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »
+1
Ah. Well then, ignore my stupid post and carry on.

Nah, my fault for the context.  I really was pissed off last night but tossed in that last line for humor.  However, absent any context (or familiarity with the movie in question) made it fall flat.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 12:35:30 PM »
Soy simpático.

I have six steamers, and half are on the bench waiting for the repair round-tuit. Biggest oh-geez pending work, and way too similar to Dave's frustrations, is a B'mann Connie that threw two crankpins to points unknown, bollixing the valve gear in the process. Actually not a difficult repair in my case, other than the Scot in me resisting spending $10 in shipping cost for a 50¢ part.

OTOH, diesels that hiccup are usually fixed on the spot.

I shouldn't be too hasty, however, to condemn my experiences with N steam. The best runner of anything on my RR is a Kato FEF. It's my go-to for demonstrating the layout. Even hard-core HOers are amazed at how smoothly it runs over track that maybe I haven't cleaned in weeks. :D

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »
Woah, dude. Time to take a chill pill. Work in the scale with which you're most comfortable. No one is forcing you to stick with N Scale, except possibly yourself. I feel your frustration, truly. I'm not quite in as bad shape physically, but I'm getting there, and N Scale is becoming a bigger challenge every day.

For myself, my plan is to stay in N, but to lower my expectations, take more shortcuts, etc. That also probably means no steam. If changing scales solves your problem, then just do it. No need to get anyone's permission, or to justify your decision. Look at Dave Fox: switched to HO cold turkey, no fuss, no muss.

Do whatever you've got to do to get your modeling mojo back. And if modeling becomes a dead end, regardless of the scale, then so be it.

Is this a real documented David K. Smith sighting? Welcome back.
Peter Pfotenhauer

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »
Is this a real documented David K. Smith sighting? Welcome back.

He has been back, posting here and there for a while now. If you want more info just go to jis profile and look at his posts.  Still, I agree that it's nice to see him on TRW again.
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
+1

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 02:07:54 PM »
Sounds like a DNA thing.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »
I wish I had the $ to buy this for what it's worth. This layout is pretty special to me for many reasons some of which include:
1. Having personally inspired me.
2. Raising the bar for N scale.
3. TRW influences. I think it's super cool DKS just bashed together that station.  That really showed me how generous the folks are here and their willingness to help is substantial.

I'm sad that this chapter comes to an end because of your health stuff, Dave, but you gotta do you despite the attachment of others to the JD.
Yes, I have an unhealthy attachment to it.
No, not that kind of unhealthy attachment.

Sell the JD, put your fleet in the trading post so us vultures can fund your bigger stuff.

I'm sitting here thinking what I would if I started losing my ability to N scale. I hope things square away for you, man. I really do.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 04:24:24 PM »
Is that

https://www.jisedu.or.id/story/profile/index.aspx

LOL - lack of proofreading. I'm sure you know that "jis" was supposed to be "his".   :facepalm:  But it looks like jis jizz produced some of the expected TRW amusement.
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 04:57:37 PM »
+1
I wish I had the $ to buy this for what it's worth. This layout is pretty special to me for many reasons some of which include:
1. Having personally inspired me.
2. Raising the bar for N scale.
3. TRW influences. I think it's super cool DKS just bashed together that station.  That really showed me how generous the folks are here and their willingness to help is substantial.

I'm sad that this chapter comes to an end because of your health stuff, Dave, but you gotta do you despite the attachment of others to the JD.
Yes, I have an unhealthy attachment to it.
No, not that kind of unhealthy attachment.

Sell the JD, put your fleet in the trading post so us vultures can fund your bigger stuff.

I'm sitting here thinking what I would if I started losing my ability to N scale. I hope things square away for you, man. I really do.

I don't know that I've lost the ability but it's definitely getting harder to do.  Way back when N scale was only supposed to be a temporary thing for me while I was in the service until I could return to HO.  LOL...  I got a little deeper into it than I'd ever intended!

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »
+1
I’m not sure if I should move this into the Crew Lounge or the Foro de Escalas HO!