Author Topic: New Run of Athearn Challengers, Surprise!  (Read 16610 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
New Run of Athearn Challengers, Surprise!
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:08:45 PM »
I got a phone call that I never expected yesterday from Trainworld.....

Trainworld: "Hello, this is Heather (IIRC, it was Heather) from Trainworld, Is Mike Available?"
Me: "This is Mike."
TW: I'm calling today about your Pre-order for the Athearn Northern Pacific Challenger. They are in stock, and ready to ship, But your credit card associated with the Pre-order has expired. We are ready to ship, but we need a new payment source."
Me: ".....Ok?.....Ummm.....Hold on a Sec.....(Reads New credit card number)"
TW: "Great! We will get the Challenger in the mail in the next day or two!"
Me: "Great! Thank you!"

Ummm.....So I wanna say the pre-order was back in like 2012, with initial delivery date being like mid-2013, then bumped to like 2014. After that I didn't hear anything. I assumed that the project was Canceled.
SURPRISE! Guess not! Anyways, So I'm kinda taken back a little, and wasn't budgeted for this, So a few locomotives are now up for sale in the Trading post to try to cover some of the costs! I just looked at my credit card account, and the funds have cleared, and I got a shipping confirmation in my E-mail today.

So, Am I the only one that was caught off guard by this, or have I been oblivious to announcements and updates?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:11:42 PM by delamaize »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New Run of Athearn Challengers, Surprise!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:16:59 PM »
Is it a different one than you ordered in 2015?

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=35770.msg437054#msg437054

Jason
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:24:26 PM by wcfn100 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:22:15 PM »
I got my greyhound Challenger not too long ago. 2015 sounds about right.
. . . 42 . . .

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:37:19 PM »
Is it a different one than you ordered in 2015?

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=35770.msg437054#msg437054

Jason

Yep, My mistake, for some reason I though it was a lot longer ago...
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:21 AM »
Then maybe I'll be hearing from Chuck that my SP&S is ready.  It is a little surprising...
N Kalanaga
Be well

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
+1
Let's hope Athearn's assembly/QC is better on these than the last Big Boy run...
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
The Z8 came today, Nice looking locomotive, and with the Tsunami it sounds great! Mine is seems to be assembled properly, and runs well. Like the other Challengers it's a gourgeos locomotive, with nice detail. It's really nice to have NP specific locomotives and details. Well it runs well in the short distance I was able to run it on my Small layout, As the radius is less than 11", It's meant for my European stuff.

The first big test will be at Chilliwack next weekend, on MRNS layout. I'll take pictures and video then. Overall, so far, I'm happy with this unexpected arrival.

Reminder everyone, I still have a GS4, Reading FT set and an Acela that is only the power Cafe and dummy locos for sale!  :trollface:
Mike

np1969

• Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:34:48 AM »
+1
I'm not doing the steam era, but I still couldn't resist ordering one of these beauties because it's NP!. It should be here this week.
Some day I hope to get back to building my layout; just about everyone I know is in a model railroading slump.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »
I got a phone call that I never expected yesterday from Trainworld.....

Trainworld: "Hello, this is Heather (IIRC, it was Heather) from Trainworld, Is Mike Available?"
Me: "This is Mike."
TW: I'm calling today about your Pre-order for the Athearn Northern Pacific Challenger. They are in stock, and ready to ship, But your credit card associated with the Pre-order has expired. We are ready to ship, but we need a new payment source."
Me: ".....Ok?.....Ummm.....Hold on a Sec.....(Reads New credit card number)"
TW: "Great! We will get the Challenger in the mail in the next day or two!"
Me: "Great! Thank you!"

Ummm.....So I wanna say the pre-order was back in like 2012, with initial delivery date being like mid-2013, then bumped to like 2014. After that I didn't hear anything. I assumed that the project was Canceled.
SURPRISE! Guess not! Anyways, So I'm kinda taken back a little, and wasn't budgeted for this, So a few locomotives are now up for sale in the Trading post to try to cover some of the costs! I just looked at my credit card account, and the funds have cleared, and I got a shipping confirmation in my E-mail today.

So, Am I the only one that was caught off guard by this, or have I been oblivious to announcements and updates?

And somewhere in Nigeria, a Russian mob boss is very happy with your credit card information. :)   :D
Peter Pfotenhauer

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
Then maybe I'll be hearing from Chuck that my SP&S is ready.  It is a little surprising...

Maybe Chuck isn't saying anything because he is choking on smoke . I hope not , but he is within grape throwing distance .

I also await  ATH22922 - 4-6-6-4 w/DCC & Sound Oil Tender: Union Pacific #3977

Drool fuel https://www.nscalesupply.com/ath/ATH-challenger.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:25:15 AM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 01:56:32 AM »
Richie:  As far as I can tell the fires haven't hit San Rafael, but Chuck doesn't seem to be answering emails, either.  I've sent a couple in the last two weeks, on different subjects, and still haven't heard anything.  Usually he answers the next day.  I hope he's at a train show, and not out sick.
N Kalanaga
Be well

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 02:28:18 AM »
Richie:  As far as I can tell the fires haven't hit San Rafael, but Chuck doesn't seem to be answering emails, either.  I've sent a couple in the last two weeks, on different subjects, and still haven't heard anything.  Usually he answers the next day.  I hope he's at a train show, and not out sick.

Does he also have his crib in San Rafael ?

Richie Dost

kverdon

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
+1
I spoke with Chuck today, he has the Challengers in stock and has been testing them out prior to shipping them.  They should be going out soon.  He is doing ok, just really smokey in his area right now.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
I spoke with Chuck today, he has the Challengers in stock and has been testing them out prior to shipping them.  They should be going out soon.  He is doing ok, just really smokey in his area right now.

Thanks

Richie Dost

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 01:08:24 AM »
I also received an email from Chuck, so both he and his server are fine.  He told me the same thing, they'll be shipping as soon as he finishes testing them.
N Kalanaga
Be well