Author Topic: Weekend Update 10/1/17  (Read 11159 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: Weekend Update 10/1/17
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »

... I also wish I'd never seen True Scale couplers or MT Z scale couplers. I'm convert Big everything I own to Kadee #5s...

Craig

:| Craig, would you mind elaborating? Is this tongue in cheek or ...

Thanks, Otto K.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »
+4
So, Up until the few weeks or so, with having 2 crews out with a strike team in oregon on the wildfires, my resulting work schedule, and with other work-related commitments, I didn't get much time for modeling. Now that things have calmed down a little, I tried to get some things caught up. I got decoders installed in Two locomotives, and one DMU. I retrofitted the DMU with a can motor, and fitted a new motor to a Fleischmann 2-10-0. The locomotives that got decodered were the same 2-10-0 and an older Arnold 4-6-4 tank engine. In addition, I got some time to work on my N-trak module. I got the streetcar line laid down, and tested. I ran into an issue though, I think my radius is too wide, and I think I don't have the room for the platforms I want to use for the station. I'm planning on fixing that the next time I work on it. I have tested the streetcars and trolley I have down to a 4.5" radi, and they will work, not well, but functional. I am at a 8" radi right now, I'm thinking 6" might give me what I need. This line is ONLY streetcars/trolleys, so I don't have to worry about any freight or locomotives.

Today at work, I anticipated some downtime this morning, so I brought my T24-66 kitbash from a few years ago, and finally got it decaled. I'm still not happy with the yellow stripes on the noses, but it passes to 5' test, so I will live with it for now. One day I may paint over the stripes, and use decals, Although given that 3/4 of the striping is over louvers, I don't see decals turning out well either. Overall I am pretty happy with the end product. I still need to dullcoat to seal everything, which will have to wait, I'm out of dullcoat. In addition, I still gotta make light pipes for the headlights, and make a weight to run the void between the top of the mech and the shell.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:24:58 PM by delamaize »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
+4
This weekend, I'm working on laying out my HO model of the town of Aberdeen, North Carolina.  I'm trying to replicate this scene:

More on the Seaboard Central 3.0 thread in the Layout Engineering Forum.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +550
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
Recovering this weekend after spending a lot of quality time on the Nickel Plate 765 crew at Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. The engine returned safe and sound on Tuesday night to Ft. Wayne, and she's almost all buttoned up for Winter. With fall here in northern Ohio, I'm starting to get the modeling itch again  :o

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:43:01 PM by btrain »

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »
+6
The rear wall of the Nelson Station is complete. 

Next up are installing the dormer walls on the other otherwise complete walls, adding the interior and exterior lighting, and then proceeding to all the roofs.  I expect the second rev of the custom shingles to arrive next week...the ones in the photos are test shingles which go on beautifully but I am not happy with the spacing pattern. The shingles will be a huge time consumer (like the rest of this station hasn't been! :) ) as they require 50 courses per roof element, the building has 16 dormers with their own roofs, and then add the two unusual bay windows...yikes!

have a good rest of your weekend!

md
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:55:36 PM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Van Horne

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »
Nice work, Mark.  I was in Nelson last weekend and walked all around the station after taking pictures of the Trainmaster done up as CP 7009.  It's not just modelers who fudge things . . .

Dave

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »
Don't look to close, but here's where I stand on my CF7 after this weekend.  I didn't notice until after getting the cab glued on :facepalm:, it was missing the 3rd window so I got the drill bit out and made them.  I chalk that up to the directions having images of a 3 window cab, my mind sees the pictures in the directions and for whatever reasons doesn't jump up and say hey dummy, there's no 3rd window on your cab.  Oh well, pay closer attention to the next one, maybe.  Steps were a little pain to figure out, but after the first one was a little easier. 

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »
Is that the 3D-printed proof-of-concept model of the TurboTrain?

Yup. And they had it on a 10" radius s curve... it looked odd on that. But it is cool none the less!

It wasn't an awesome day!

What do you mean it wasn't awesome??? Just because we only had ok results with the BiLevels, and your Diner train never made it out of the yard, doesn't mean it was a bad day. My trains ran just fine!  :trollface:

I'll update with today's pics soon, two day shows are exhausting!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:38:11 PM by CNR5529 »
Because why not...

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2017, 09:34:24 PM »
Work continues on the 19,000 gallon tank as I wait for my other stuff from Shapeways.

Looking at the idea of two different frames. One with as much printed detail which will be over sized but much easier to build, and another that would take etched details for things like the walkway supports and the (not yet drawn brackets to hold the brake gear to the frame.

Jason

Was this a common car style that will be available for purchase? I've been feeling lately that there's really nothing that fills the gap between the Atlas/IMRC 8K/11K styles and the Atlas 20,700 or 23,500 gallon tankcars, so something like this would be really nice.
Sean

davidgray1974

• Crew
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2017, 11:03:52 PM »
+21
Been working at a snails pace on the river bank and front edge of the layout this weekend.  Couldn't tell you how many times I've redone this same area.   :facepalm: Still more to add so I hope to get this section done this week.

As always, thanks for looking!

David

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2017, 11:24:46 PM »
Was this a common car style that will be available for purchase? I've been feeling lately that there's really nothing that fills the gap between the Atlas/IMRC 8K/11K styles and the Atlas 20,700 or 23,500 gallon tankcars, so something like this would be really nice.

I wouldn't call it a common car as I don't know of any revenue service it was used in.  Every example I know about appears to be company service, most likely fuel oil.  But for the railroads that had them, they seem to hold a special place for those modelers.  The CGW used them in a couple different services and color coded the cars which really makes them a favorite for guys like me.

You're correct that there a black hole for N scale tank cars from the 50's and 60's.  I this project goes well, I will certainly look at doing welded 8,000-10,000 gallon tank with full platforms.

Jason

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1868
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:31 AM »
Don't look to close, but here's where I stand on my CF7 after this weekend.  I didn't notice until after getting the cab glued on :facepalm:, it was missing the 3rd window so I got the drill bit out and made them.  I chalk that up to the directions having images of a 3 window cab, my mind sees the pictures in the directions and for whatever reasons doesn't jump up and say hey dummy, there's no 3rd window on your cab.  Oh well, pay closer attention to the next one, maybe.  Steps were a little pain to figure out, but after the first one was a little easier. 

Can you get the cab off? It's a lot easier to add grab irons and wipers if it isn't glued down.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2017, 02:21:53 AM »
+5
Got my latest three-level etch of the EP-3 wrapper.  At the suggestion of @Scott Lupia I had them rendered in stainless steel instead of brass.  Much more crisp.  The revised body core was shipped from Shapeways on Friday (as was the revised coupler pocket for the Atlas 11k gallon tank), so I may be able to get a basic body finished this week and get the pilot trucks finished as well.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:27:12 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 03:37:16 AM »
Definitely beautiful Bryan!!!  Looking forwards to seeing things come together!!!

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
Got my latest three-level etch of the EP-3 wrapper.  At the suggestion of @Scott Lupia I had them rendered in stainless steel instead of brass.  Much more crisp.  The revised body core was shipped from Shapeways on Friday (as was the revised coupler pocket for the Atlas 11k gallon tank), so I may be able to get a basic body finished this week and get the pilot trucks finished as well.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Is that printed or etched?