Author Topic: LAUPT Baggage and Express building  (Read 569 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +277
LAUPT Baggage and Express building
« on: September 28, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
I seem to recall an article in one of the major magazines some years ago (MR perhaps?) about modeling a greatly condensed version of this baggage and REA facility. It appears I have room along the backdrop to model this building as a trackside flat, with the two two-story end structures having a little more depth. Does anyone remember this article or have access to the plans....I'm only interested in the trackside elevation and/or section through the building. The pics below show a crude but interesting WPA model from the '30's I believe, illustrating the LAUPT layout.
Help appreciated!
Thanks, Otto K.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
Re: LAUPT Baggage and Express building
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:23:38 PM »
My Google searches didn't' turn up anything.  Vic Roseman has done a bunch of stuff in MRH on SP passenger Train modelling, Lot's of stuff on composing a scene in his MRH articles. 

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:56:25 PM »
What a cool video, thanks for trying Spades. I too thought it was a Vic Roseman article (he is my passenger car hero), but couldn't find it. The real LAUPT Baggage/Express building was almost 1200 feet long. I'll settle for a condensed version I can squeeze into the 55" linear inches I have available, about 734 scale feet, still a very long building.  I'm thinking a 96' long two story Express office on the south (left), a 128' two story Railway Mail office on the north (right), with a single story express and baggage section inbetween. I'm eyeballing the end buildings' parapet height at 32', and the inbetween section at 22'....  Does that sound right? Thoughts?
Pics attached.
Otto K.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
Well, problem solved! I was able to get electronic copies of the actual construction documents (samples below) through the kind assistance of others; the Internet can be a wonderful thing. Turns out my height estimates were within 6" of the real thing :o
Now all I got to do is build the damn thing per plan...careful what we wish for :facepalm:
Fortunately, all I need is a flat of the trackside elevation.
Otto K.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:34:11 AM by Cajonpassfan »

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »
Thank you @Spades, I got the plans from the author of the article in the second link.
Assistance much appreciated, so I can now get started... 8)
Otto