Author Topic: Concrete sidewalk size  (Read 3848 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Concrete sidewalk size
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »

I'd just scribe it so it's correct.  3/16" and 1/4" are both way too small.

I have a LOT of city to fill up. I ain't got no time for that!

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »
I have a LOT of city to fill up. I ain't got no time for that!

So if a sidewalk is prototypically 10' wide/deep with 5' squares, how are you going to approach modeling it?

Jason

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 08:44:58 PM »
Unless the sidewalks are fairly new, most city sidewalks are a hodgepodge of different textures and control joint patterns, with patches and cracks and slabs lifted by tree roots and etc. Older buildings may have older sidewalks in front of them, with more patches and cracks, and may have been built to a different standard (4 foot grid pattern ?) while new buildings would likely have newer sidewalks built to current city standards (5 foot grid?). Then again maybe your town undertook a "downtown beautification" plan with all new sidewalks...There is lots of detail even in common city sidewalks.

Geoff

Bruce Bird

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 08:45:27 PM »
I could give you all of the exact requirements and dimensions that you would need for various current standards, but I don't want to bore everyone.  The 'standard' widths in even feet are easy to follow and mostly correct.  Older sidewalks were narrower and newer ones at the crosswalk ramps need to be depressed and have those little 'truncated domes' for detection for the sight challenged.  And all of that can be either drawn in or lightly scribed.  Otherwise it will look like LEGOLAND.

Or not.  Do what you think looks best!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
So if a sidewalk is prototypically 10' wide/deep with 5' squares, how are you going to approach modeling it?

Jason

And I have 4' squares?

Model it as 8'.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 08:54:27 PM »
+1
What type of side walks did they use in December 1985?  :trollface:

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:06 PM »
I'm planning on picking up some Evergreen sheet for creating sidewalks in York tomorrow,

I'm still stuck on this statement. 

Does the city of York know you're coming tomorrow?  Did you get the proper permits to use Evergreen sheet instead of the more typical concrete or brick materials? And how much adhesive is this project going to take??   :o

ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »
And I have 4' squares?

Model it as 8'.
HA HA. THE SOLUTION IS MADE APPARENT.
+1.
Next question: what color to paint it?
Difficult!
Regards,
Paul

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 10:50:09 PM »
HA HA. THE SOLUTION IS MADE APPARENT.
+1.
Next question: what color to paint it?
Difficult!

http://www.michaels.com/krylon-chalky-finish-paint/M10398971.html

And you'll never guess why...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »

I'm still stuck on this statement. 

Does the city of York know you're coming tomorrow?  Did you get the proper permits to use Evergreen sheet instead of the more typical concrete or brick materials? And how much adhesive is this project going to take??   :o

Lol. It's actually the reason I'm giving the law when they see me with the giant tanker truck full of bourbon: "It's for cleanup".

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 11:36:17 PM »
http://www.michaels.com/krylon-chalky-finish-paint/M10398971.html

And you'll never guess why...

You like chalky white as a concrete color? My question is, why just one color?  All the concrete in that link is different colors. And while I do not know what concrete the city of York specs out for city sidewalk, around here it is(or was) Class C.  But I'm pretty sure Evergreen sheet is not an approved mix design anywhere just yet.  But I've not been in the concrete game for a few years now so I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:39:10 PM by bman »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 01:27:14 AM »
Some of the old sidewalks I've seen did have squares as small as 30 inches, 3/16 inch in N scale.  But, as others have said, I wouldn't use the Evergreen "sidewalk" sheets.  The gaps are simply too big, unless your sidewalks are so old that they need to be replaced.  Even then the gaps would be irregular, with broken edges, and probably at least some of the squares would be cracked, and possibly frost or root heaved.

Chalky white would probably be a good color for old sidewalks in Pasco, WA.  The local "dirt" is gray sand, and the local gravel is various shades of gray, so the sidewalks start out as light gray, and stay fairly clean.  Over the years, the cement tends to turn chalky, so unless the sidewalk is wet, it is a very light gray.  In sunlight it looks off-white.  Even wet, it's just a darker gray.

Here in NE Kentucky, the sidewalks tend to be a yellowish color, both from the rocks and the iron in them, and from the local dirt being a yellowish clay, which gets ground into the concrete surface.  Downtown, there's very little mud, so the sidewalks stay cleaner, but still aren't "white".
N Kalanaga
Be well

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 01:43:48 AM »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
You like chalky white as a concrete color? My question is, why just one color?  All the concrete in that link is different colors. And while I do not know what concrete the city of York specs out for city sidewalk, around here it is(or was) Class C.  But I'm pretty sure Evergreen sheet is not an approved mix design anywhere just yet.  But I've not been in the concrete game for a few years now so I could be wrong.

Maybe the link wasn't good, but I'm talking about the "putty" color. I used it on my I83 overpass and it kicks a$$.

I know there are multiple colors, but I need a good base first.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
It's best to keep a couple different sizes of "sidewalk" in stock.  Sometimes you need to have a bit more space between the curb and the building than "standard".  Also, keep in mind that sidewalks are often "public works" projects awarded to the lowest bidder... so really anything goes.  My rule of thumb is use what's in the junk box first, then move on to whatever else is in the bin.  Buying new is usually not an option, since the local HobbyTown charges list price for everything!

In the grand scheme of things, nobody notices, and nobody cares.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net