Author Topic: C636 Available for Pre-orders  (Read 4404 times)

dcutting

• Crew
  • Respect: -57
C636 Available for Pre-orders
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:37:40 PM »
+5
UPDATE: Price reduction of $20 on these kits because I've found a better supply chain for the parts.  :D

I've completed the test N scale C636 build, painted it, and I'm really happy. I finally got the print settings dialed in with a service that I was using to test out the printer that will produce these. All of the etched details work well. The laser cut windows fit and the trucks clip on perfectly.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I need 6050 pre-orders to begin production. If I don't meet that quota, the project will be cancelled and everyone's money will be refunded. Simple as that. The cutoff date for new pre-orders counting toward that count will be December 1st, but as soon as 60 EDIT: 50 pre-orders are hit production will begin. I'll keep updates in this thread on the progress.

Please go order one: http://www.cescalemodels.com/n-scale-products/c636-kit-n

David
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:55:13 PM by dcutting »
David Cutting

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: C636 Available for Pre-orders
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 08:27:52 PM »
@dcutting
I admire what it is you've done here but I think something is really off with the outer radius of the cabroof and the
cab side window's height on the side of the cab.

See here.

https://goo.gl/images/usTZgS
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:35:19 PM »
The photo on the website shows a lot of empty space between the trucks and frame, not unlike the LL C424s..You might consider something to represent the frame.

So, a new Atlas C-6XX frame will not work, only an old one?..I did not realize there were 2 versions, or are you assuming the upcoming models with sound will not work? I curious why you say we need an OLD(2003) frame, is there a newer version that does NOT work?

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
Angle is so different that you can't really be sure. I see what you are feeling but at the vastly different angle, ya can't be sure.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:02:05 PM »
Angle is so different that you can't really be sure. I see what you are feeling but at the vastly different angle, ya can't be sure.

Really? 
Look at the window on the side of the cab in relation to the outer windows on the front of the cab or in relation to the SP&S football logo.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:27:49 PM »
+1
@dcutting
I admire what it is you've done here but I think something is really off with the outer radius of the cabroof and the
cab side window's height on the side of the cab.

See here.

https://goo.gl/images/usTZgS

Duly noted, comparing it to the front windows it is easy to see. That will be corrected for the production units, it is now on my radar.

The photo on the website shows a lot of empty space between the trucks and frame, not unlike the LL C424s..You might consider something to represent the frame.

So, a new Atlas C-6XX frame will not work, only an old one?..I did not realize there were 2 versions, or are you assuming the upcoming models with sound will not work? I curious why you say we need an OLD(2003) frame, is there a newer version that does NOT work?

I've tried my best to get the gap hidden, but it's no easy task. I'll consider including little shims that glue underneath the mechanism to hide it. Thanks for pointing that out.

As we haven't seen the new sound C636's we can only assume they will follow the pattern of the S-2, which means that they will be too different for the shell I have designed. In addition, the trucks won't work because you can't swap the old 8-40C gearboxes in. So only runs prior to the first run with sound will work.
David Cutting

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:58:30 PM »
Issues (to be fixed) regarding the side window height aside, that look really, really awesome! :o

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
I've received some feedback from various folks that they are worried about the availability of Atlas replacement trucks for this model. Would there be interest in a 3D printed gearbox with new gears for this model? I have a resin available that may well be durable enough and wouldn't cost much. For pickups I would etch PB sheet and make a little jig to get the points just right.

David
David Cutting

Curtis Kyger

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 10:47:30 PM »
Definately need the 3D printed gear box etc.

LarryN

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
All,
Atlas does seem to be out of the trucks. My plan was to acquire some Dash 840c's either used at train shows or otherwise for the trucks, and use the chassis for other projects (as yet to be determined). I am sure the Atlas trucks will be re-stocked. I think they just released Dash 840C's with sound. One way or another, I will get them powered up!

Larry N

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 10:19:25 PM »
Looks like it might be possible to rearrange the gears in the truck to give a slightly modified axle spacing. I'll check it out this weekend - as long as I know I can move the gears there isn't any issue with printing the gearbox, and the PB wipers should be relatively simple as well. If thinks all check out in terms of dimensions, I'll have the new trucks aailable for pre-order this weekend as well.

David
David Cutting

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 11:10:32 PM »
Looks like it might be possible to rearrange the gears in the truck to give a slightly modified axle spacing. I'll check it out this weekend - as long as I know I can move the gears there isn't any issue with printing the gearbox, and the PB wipers should be relatively simple as well. If thinks all check out in terms of dimensions, I'll have the new trucks aailable for pre-order this weekend as well.

David

Will the gears also be 3D printed?
. . . 42 . . .

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
Will the gears also be 3D printed?

I’m doing my best to avoid that, we will see.

David
David Cutting

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 02:41:01 PM »
I’m doing my best to avoid that, we will see.

David

I agree with your thoughts.
. . . 42 . . .

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »
I've got a solution for the truck problem. Atlas just announced a new run of SD-35s that are not re-engineered with sound, so there is now an ample supply of flexicoil trucks which have an axle spacing very similar to the hi-ad truck. If the SD7/9/24/26 is re-run in the near future that is another good source of the trucks. Atlas even has some in-stock now (gear case, gear set, and wheel set from http://shop.atlasrr.com/c-912-n-master-sd-35-locomotive-parts.aspx)

That being said, the gear tower is slightly different on the flexicoil truck so it will require a new gear case to make it compatible with the C630 mechanism. But there's no special custom etched pickups to mess with. This looks like it will work out very well.

I have added the option to use Dash 8 trucks or flexicoil trucks to the product page for the C636. The gearboxes will be included for the flexicoil trucks at no extra cost. There will be two versions of the side frames, one for each style of truck. If you've already pre-ordered (thanks to all who have) I will be sending out a survey once pre-orders have been completed to give you the option to switch to flexi-coils.

David
David Cutting