Author Topic: For Shapeways - Bestine or Goo Gone?  (Read 4559 times)

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Re: For Shapeways - Bestine or Goo Gone?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »
Ya got a Wal-Mart close by?.Give them a call.If you pick it up at the store there is no shipping charge.They may even have it stock.

Found some at Wal- Mart here is the link.  https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=bestine
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:49:38 PM by Catt »
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 04:49:46 PM »
+1
@bobthebear , are you suggesting that lighter fluid is not available in the UK?  As @peteski mentioned, it works nearly as well.

Yeah, for some reason whenever I mention Naphtha when this subject comes up (which has been more than once here), people seem to just ignore the advice.  Naphtha is inexpensive and easily obtainable, yet nobody wants it.  It should really be the second choice after Heptane (and before other alternatives are considered). :facepalm:

. . . 42 . . .

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 05:03:12 PM »
Shipping (IMHO) has been expensive since it is very flammable. Here in Calif, it has yet to make a return at Blicks or anywhere else for that matter.

I just called the  905 Howe Ave store in Sacramento they have Bestine in stock and while cyber stocking the Blick's in the Little Italy Section o' San Diego has it stock too.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 05:03:41 PM »
I have seen several mentions on Shapeways of soaking your parts in Bestine for 24 hours. I do not have any Bestine and most online searches end up with shipping costing more than the product.

I do have a quart of Goo Gone, will that do as well? How about a toothbrush with hot soapy water?

I just called the  905 Howe Ave store in Sacramento they have Bestine in stock and while cyber stocking the Blick's in the Little Italy Section o' San Diego has it stock too.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3124
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Yeah, for some reason whenever I mention Naphtha when this subject comes up (which has been more than once here), people seem to just ignore the advice.  Naphtha is inexpensive and easily obtainable, yet nobody wants it.  It should really be the second choice after Heptane (and before other alternatives are considered). :facepalm:

It's what I use as well . 

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 05:24:11 PM »
IIRC, the refrigeration tip was from our own @David K. Smith .

Not me. I was the one who advised against naptha (as opposed to naphtha) because it's a different formula, closer to mineral spirits in composition, in this old thread on the same topic:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=33130.0

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
After searching I found a 16oz can on Amazon for $21, free shipping. I ordered it and will try it. Our local craft stores, Hobby Lobby and Michaels, do not carry it.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »
Not me. I was the one who advised against naptha (as opposed to naphtha) because it's a different formula, closer to mineral spirits in composition, in this old thread on the same topic:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=33130.0

I meant that I thought that you came up with the tip of refrigerating Heptane to rejuvenate it.

There is no such thing as naptha (at least according to the Google search I just did). I always thought it was simply a misspelling of naphtha (which is what Ronsonol lighter fluid is).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:11:01 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1261
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 08:39:54 PM »
IIRC, the refrigeration tip was from our own @David K. Smith .

....then, THANKS DKS!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:18:49 AM by robert3985 »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »
+1
After searching I found a 16oz can on Amazon for $21, free shipping. I ordered it and will try it. Our local craft stores, Hobby Lobby and Michaels, do not carry it.

A real art store carries it.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/bestine-solvent-and-thinners

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »
+1
I meant that I thought that you came up with the tip of refrigerating Heptane to rejuvenate it.

There is no such thing as naptha (at least according to the Google search I just did). I always thought it was simply a misspelling of naphtha (which is what Ronsonol lighter fluid is).

In different industries and regions naptha may also be crude oil or refined products such as kerosene. Mineral spirits, also historically known as "naptha", are not the same chemical.

Weren't lookin' very hard.

And again, I wasn't the one who came up with the refrigeration tip. Don't know who did.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5519
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 10:27:45 PM »
Overseas they use white spirit that I think is just mineral spirits  :?

I used acetone before I knew about Bestine, but I think acetone is too strong. The last Bestine type stuff I bought was made by Beacon.
https://rawmaterialsla.com/art-supplies/tapes-and-adhesives/rubber-cement-thinners-and-dispensers/beacon-solvent-and-thinner

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 11:04:24 PM »

Weren't lookin' very hard.

And again, I wasn't the one who came up with the refrigeration tip. Don't know who did.

No, I didn't look hard - just a Google search (which actually automatically redirected to naphtha). I guess I should have forced the spelling but I guess I got lazy.
And for a fun-fact, "nafta" in Polish actually means kerosene.

I thought you came up with the refrigerator tip - I obviously was mistaken. Maybe it was Bryan Bussey - or someone else.   :|

. . . 42 . . .

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3545
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 01:59:10 AM »
Bestie was manufactured and sold by the Union Rubber Co. which recently went of business.    They sold their patents and formulas to the Speedball Co. who are bringing Bestine back to  market.  The familiar 16 oz tin is back but with the Speedball logo in place of the Union Rubber name.

Many art supply websites have images of the new tins up but have not yet stocked it, but it is coming.  It is not yet available again in Canada so I bought a 32 oz bottle of laboratory grade heptane from Amazon for $25 and used it on my Budd RDC.  It worked at least as well as my original supply of Bestine so recommend it without reservation.

My only complaint was that the cap on the plastic bottle failed in transit and some liquid leaked out into the bag in which the bottle was fortunately sealed.  I was able to decant the liquid back into the bottle.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4247
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
+1
I thought you came up with the refrigerator tip - I obviously was mistaken. Maybe it was Bryan Bussey - or someone else.   :|

It wasn't I, but it's a great tip nonetheless.

Many art supply websites have images of the new tins up but have not yet stocked it, but it is coming.  It is not yet available again in Canada so I bought a 32 oz bottle of laboratory grade heptane from Amazon for $25 and used it on my Budd RDC.  It worked at least as well as my original supply of Bestine so recommend it without reservation.

Blicks has the new Speedball Bestine available both online and in the stores.  Amazon sells Bestine online as well.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net