Author Topic: How I do Scratch sketch set threads  (Read 967 times)

gary60s

• Crew
  • Charter member of CAMRRA
  • Respect: +74
How I do Scratch sketch set threads
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »
Some may be curious about how I do my scratch sketch set threads. The first step is scaling the building to proper N scale dimensions. This is done using basic photo interpretation techniques. I have written a thread on the subject, if anyone is interested. Once dimensions are obtained then sketches can be done.

ALL SKETCHES ARE DONE IN N SCALE. ACCURACY IS TO THE NEAREST 10,000TH OF AN INCH! YOU MAY NOT NOTICE IT BECAUSE NONE OF THE SKETCHES ARE DIMENSIONED, BUT THE ACCURACY IS THERE.

I use Google Sketch-up as my CAD program. It is a free downloadable program that is easier to learn than other CAD programs (just Google “sketchup”). The following steps may seem difficult, but are made easier with sketchup. While doing the sketches is relatively easy, it is time consuming as each sketch is a composite of several other sketches.

This is shown in the blowup sketch below. Each part of the building is a separate drawing that is saved in a “component folder”. Each component sketch is done 3 times (one is done flat for templates, another in 3D and another with texture and color added).

Each component is then placed in position in another sketch to show either an overview, template or assembly sketch. In the thread for Pam’s miners cabin, a total of 82 sketches were drawn for the resulting 8 shown in the thread. Average amount of sketches done per thread is 130. The most I ever did was 264 in the mallet house thread.

The next step is going back to the assembly sketches and inserting the directions and materials text. This is done with much head scratching, to make sure that directions follow a logical sequence, so that structure can be built correctly and as easy as possible.

Next step is converting 3D sketches into 2D pics that can be shown on line. This involves resizing and making sure that templates print out to scale. Unfortunately template size is a trial and error process. This trial and error is eliminated when I make PDF’s for templates.

Final step is writing the thread with much proof reading.

THE END RESULT IS A SET OF SKETCHES THAT INCLUDE A TEMPLATE FOR CUTTING OUT PARTS, AND ASSEMBLY SKETCHES WITH INSTRUCTIONS, THAT MAKE IT EASY TO BUILD STRUCTURES FROM SCRATCH.

It can get tricky and time consuming, but I enjoy doing them. My goal in producing these threads is to make it as easy as possible for anyone to do a scratch project. By placing them here, they become public domain, and are free to anyone.

http://www.nscale.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25369&d=1330272513
http://www.nscale.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25370&d=1330272513
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:05:05 PM by gary60s »
Gary

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: How I do Scratch sketch set threads
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
When I first tried SketchUp several years ago (don't recall the version), it did not work well when drawing in the N scale size. Certain operations would not produce the expected results.  But if I designed the object in a larger size, all operations would work as expected. Then I could resize it to N scale dimensions and the object would still be ok.  Sounds like the current version of SketchUp has resolved the problem of working directly with very small objects.
. . . 42 . . .

gary60s

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
I am using version 8.0.16846 and have no problems. It is an older version, but is still downloadable. (free)

Just to be sure we are on the same page, here is an excerpt from my sketchup tutorial on how to make scratch sketch sets (on another site):

We are drawing everything in N scale inches. This means that all dimensions you enter must be converted to N scale. For example: A wall measures 16' 8" long. Converting feet and inches to inches gives 200 inches(16 x 12 = 192...192 + 8 = 200). Converting 200 inches to N scale gives 1 1/4" or 1.25" in decimal form(200/160 = 1.25). So, to draw a wall that measures 16' 8" long in real life, do the conversions to N scale, and then enter 1.25 as the line length into your sketch.

The above will only work if you have set up the program as shown in the tutorial.  (http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?34985-Sketch-up-clinic-for-Sss-basics)

This includes setting units to decimal and precision to 10,000's of an inch.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:43:28 PM by gary60s »
Gary

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »
I understand what you are doing - the drawing is in "true" N scale dimensions.  That wasn't the problem for me. The problem was using some of SketchUp's functionality. For example if I drew a U-Haul truck body (a box-shape)  in N scale size, then tried to round the top corners (using the follow me tool), the process would produce some strange and undesired results.   But if I drew the model larger (like 10 timies N scale, or even true 1:1 scale), then the follow me tool would produce desired results.   If I then shrunk the object to N scale, it would still be ok.  It was odd.
. . . 42 . . .

gary60s

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 03:27:03 PM »
Ah... gotcha Pete. I also ran into that problem, and solved it the same way you did.  My bad for not mentioning it.

EDIT:
I just remembered: I avoided using the "follow me" tool because of the strange results and only used circle and arc tools.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:39:20 PM by gary60s »
Gary