Author Topic: Digitrax LNWI (Wireless throttle interface)  (Read 3719 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Digitrax LNWI (Wireless throttle interface)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 05:38:15 PM »
Thanks @mmyers .  For me this will only be used on my little layout, maybe two locos connected, but only one moving at a time.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »
Okay, I'm really late to this thread, but I got one of these for Christmas and just now got it out of the box to try out.

Couldn't be easier.  Hook it up to the Loconet, connect the phone to the wifi and go.

Jason

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »
I'm like John C., I like hard knobs and tectile feedback. I use NCE and very much enjoy the "wheel" for steam operation; with a lot of momentum, it allows me to "open the throtle" wide, and then ease off and use the coasting and brake features to emulate steam behavior.

BUT, having said that, I was recently introduced to a friend's large model railroad that uses android smart phones with Digitrax and the Engine Driver app, and must say I was impressed. There are myriad potential applications beyond traditional throttles we haven't even thought of. Program or select engines and consists, control turnouts, pull up timetables and switch lists, and communicate with others; those are just some of the things possible with a smart phone.

He does use the volume buttons on the back for speed control which helps a bit. He's also experimenting with a small, inexpensive wireless video game controller for those of us who like buttons... you stick your phone in your pocket and the devices communicate via Bluetooth. Slick....
Otto K.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
The ESU Mobile Control II throttle, which has hard buttons and a nice large knob for speed control, is an android device.  I've been waiting for the developer of Engine Driver to update the code so that you can use the Mobile Control's throttle knob with it.  Once that happens, this would be an ideal throttle to pair with either JMRI or the Digitrax WiFi interface.  The Mobile Control II is expensive, but it's a perfect implementation of what I want: large knob for speed control; hard buttons (4 of them, configurable) for direction and perhaps whistle/horn and bell, and a touch screen with labeled function keys for everything else.  I'd bite the bullet and buy 4 of them for my layout once Engine Driver is known to work fully with the MCII design.

John C.

lyled1117

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
John and anybody else who might have the ESU throttle,
  I suspect you already know this, but there is a beta version of Engine Driver that uses the knob. It's on Steve Todd's own site at:
https://enginedriver.mstevetodd.com/downloads
It's at test version 7 as I write this

Lyle D

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 03:19:29 PM »
I don’t have one yet.  Been waiting to hear this news.  Going to order one now!

John C.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2018, 12:05:14 PM »
Klein's is showing six ESU throttles in stock.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:47:09 PM by mmyers »

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »
John and anybody else who might have the ESU throttle,
  I suspect you already know this, but there is a beta version of Engine Driver that uses the knob. It's on Steve Todd's own site at:
https://enginedriver.mstevetodd.com/downloads
It's at test version 7 as I write this

Lyle D

Is it the 2.17 or 2.18 version and has anybody already tried it?

Marc

lyled1117

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 07:19:33 PM »
Is it the 2.17 or 2.18 version and has anybody already tried it?

Marc

There's now a production release. I have d'loaded and installed but have yet to test it to any degree

Lyle