Author Topic: ProJet Post-Curing UV? (Shapeways FUD/FXD)  (Read 844 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
ProJet Post-Curing UV? (Shapeways FUD/FXD)
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »
Now dried from the Bestine soak and scrub, the latest shell I received from Shapeways appears to have a lot more uncured resin than I am used to. Yes, it's trapped within cured resin (of course), but I have concerns about long-term stability.

I have it under a UVA CF tube at the moment, but it's not particularly bright, and I also don't know how close it is to the process frequency. Any of you better-experienced 3D printing gurus happen to know the best UV wavelength for ProJet output?

C855B

• Crew
Re: ProJet Post-Curing UV? (Shapeways FUD/FXD)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »
Found it digging deeper: 359nm. Mulling the possibility of a post-curing chamber, but 360-365nm bulbs seem to be expensive. :(

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:53:03 PM »
What about taking it outside in the sun?

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:25:10 PM »
Sort of difficult at the moment. :trollface: :facepalm:

Yes, I was going to give that a try tomorrow. Hopefully a bird won't come along and poop on it... or steal it.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »
+1
When I was brass etching at home I used two 100W bulbs to expose the artwork. I was looking into a better UV light and forget where I read it, but just used the sun. Instead of 45 min to expose it only to like 5 min.

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »
Sun curing of Shapeways' output has been recommended in other forum discussions, particularly for patches where the uncured resin is external, making for a "sticky" surface.

The sun curing experiment here has been somewhat thwarted by the cloud layer on the fringes of hurricane Harvey. For the week I have managed to get a total 20-25 hours of direct sun. There is some discernible improvement, but not a lot. I'll keep trying, but at this rate a full cure is probably not going to happen in a reasonable amount of time.

The apparent reduction in curing oven time at Shapeways has me especially concerned since I have a high-complexity, high-dollar project already past the automated tests at upload, but not committed to the process yet. I want some answers before pressing that particular button.

Speaking of answers, apparently 3D Systems has grown up - it is nearly impossible to find hardware information on their website any more. They've gone "B2B full industrial" on us, and if you want info you're going to have to talk to a sales rep, who will of course shut you down the moment they perceive you to be a hobbyist who isn't about to drop $50K or more on a complete package. I saw the same "protect our pricing" defensive tactics when I was buying similarly costly high-res 2D printers 30 years ago, and those companies priced themselves out of business as the desktop market took over. Those who ignore history...