Author Topic: TCS CN decoder - can't set the locomotive address  (Read 4829 times)

Bart1701

• Crew
  • Respect: +135
Re: TCS CN decoder - can't set the locomotive address
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 08:15:58 PM »
Here is my best recollection of some of my various attempts at programming the 4-digit address. I tried many, many times in many, many ways - so this is not necessarily a blow-by-blow description!

My initial unsuccessful attempt to program the 4-digit address was on the programming track - by getting to AD4 on my Zephyr and entering/writing the desired code. That's the way I have done most of the decoders I use.

Then I tried unsuccessfully to do it in Ops mode on the main by programming the various CVs (but the failures may have been due to not using the correct sequence as TCS had indicated to me later).

When that failed, I probably went back to the programming track to set the various CVs. I know that sometimes I would not be able to read a CV back after setting it - rec'd the DNR message on the console. Then back to Ops mode on the main. And so on and so on - back and forth between the programming track and Ops mode -  until I successfully programmed it in Ops mode on the main following the advice on the sequencing from TCS.

Based on the most recent responses, I decided to try again tonight on the programming track setting CV29, CV17 and CV18 to the desired values. Still no success. Went back to Ops mode on the mainline and successfully set the address to 2527 as desired.

Not sure why I cannot set the address on the programming track; but since I can accomplish what I want in Ops mode, I am satisfied. I shouldn't ever need to change the locomotive address again, so this works for me.

Thanks,
Bart

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »

Not sure why I cannot set the address on the programming track; but since I can accomplish what I want in Ops mode, I am satisfied. I shouldn't ever need to change the locomotive address again, so this works for me.

Thanks,
Bart

Is it possible that this loco has dirty wheels or poor contact between the decoder and the frame? Something here doesn't add up but if you are satisfied with the solution then I guess all is well.

I wouldn't dismiss the need to re-program the address in the future. The decoders can sometimes blow their brains out (for various reasons). Then you need to reset and reprogram them.
. . . 42 . . .

Greg Elmassian

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
I would also worry if I could not use the programming track. It's normally the last resort when you have issues, and when your "ace in the hole" does not work, well, I'd want to get to the bottom of it, and find where the problem lies.

Greg

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
Another thing to check on programming track only issues are the condition of the wires going to it, particularly solder joints!  I had everything working just fine on my "small" test/programming setup, when all of a sudden the program track was intermittent. If I flipped (big DPDT)  to "test" mode, worked just fine.  Of course, I had a poor wire solder connection break on the switch, and it would work when the wire was touching, but...  Wasn't until it stopped altogether that I propped up the frame, and double checked everything.  The actual repair was a lot quicker than dragging out an extension cord and soldering iron.  I've also seen issues with the leads out of the command station.

We all tend to focus so much on our operations wiring, there is sometimes a hidden problem on the programming track side.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N