Author Topic: Help w/ Wiring setup - 9V battery overheating  (Read 1100 times)

StewRRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
Help w/ Wiring setup - 9V battery overheating
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:40:24 PM »
Not sure what I did but not looking to burn my house down.  Wired this up to operate two NJ International crossing signals.  Nothing else connected to it.  9V battery pack to on/off switch to power block.  PB  to resistors and signals.  Battery case and 9V battery is getting so hot you cannot hold it your hands.  Any help appreciated.  Picture below to show wiring.  Thanks.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: Help w/ Wiring setup - 9V battery overheating
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
that implies a short .. check your wires .. make sure they are going to the correct posts

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »
Look the wiring on that toggle switch over closely. Something looks wrong there but can't see enough detail to be sure. If that is an on/off switch you only need a SPST switch. Only one wire needs to be switched. Positive or negative. Your choice.

StewRRFan

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »
Thanks.  I'm pretty sure I have a DPDT switch in there.  I will swap it out.  Thanks for the help.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:37:03 PM »
Thanks.  I'm pretty sure I have a DPDT switch in there.  I will swap it out.  Thanks for the help.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using a DPDT power switch (which will connect/disconnect both positive and negative lead). But I don't understand why there are those extra yellow wires.  If using DPDT switch you should only have 4 wires on the switch: 2 from the battery and 2 going to the rest of the circuit.
. . . 42 . . .

StewRRFan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 09:05:12 PM »
Peteski - Somewhere I read that I need to wire the corners of the 6 poles to each other.  in essence, the yellow goes from pole 1 to pole 6 and pole 3 to pole 4.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 09:07:10 PM »
Peteski - Somewhere I read that I need to wire the corners of the 6 poles to each other.  in essence, the yellow goes from pole 1 to pole 6 and pole 3 to pole 4.

Maybe you are confused with a switch wired to flip the polarity of the power fed into it (like a throttle's direction switch).  That circuit needs extra wires diagonally connecting the outside terminals. No extra wires are needed for your circuit.
. . . 42 . . .

StewRRFan

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
Removing the yellows did the trick.  Thank you everyone for your help.  The electronics are not my strong point.