Author Topic: Speculation thread. What is the next diesel and steam loco we are likely to see?  (Read 7836 times)

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
@Missaberoad you are so right on the GP10. I'd love to see Atlas do a partial retooling to add that one to the lineup. If they added a factory LokSound, I could just saw shells on my chopped nose GPs to get the sound I want.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
Fairbank Morse H10-44, H12-44 or H20-44. The smaller ones would uwe the same chassis. Baldwin AS16, AS616 and AS416.

Marc

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
We need that BLI Consol. in N.  Would definitely eclipse (yep, had to say it because of tomorrow's event) the Bachmann beast though even printed shells from Shapeways would also be welcome.  Diesels... well that's just not my interest.

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
The most likely new engine is another wide cab GE, I don't know how many are available currently, but they seem to be popular candidates by the manufacturers. I'm not a modern era modeler, so they don't interest me.

As far as steam, I'd like to see a decent 0-6-0, but, I won't hold my breath.

I’m not here to argue

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
As far as steam, I'd like to see a decent 0-6-0, but, I won't hold my breath.

Maybe Bachmann will eventually upgrade their model with better detail.  Would love to be able to have an 0-6-0 but I hate the way the model looks as it currently is... way too dated...

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
The 3400 class had 74" drivers, not 80".  The Bachmann K4 drivers (looking back through Railwire threads where they were measured) are 72.6" on the tread and 80.6" across the flanges.  As usual, model steam drivers always have to be a little undersized to keep the driver spacing and wheelbase close to prototype while allowing for oversized flanges.  That means ideally you'd want drivers that are 74" across the flanges.  The difference between 74 and 80 is .037".   That's not huge, but I do think it would show and just wouldn't look right.  Think about how thick a .040" piece of styrene is. 

The earlier 1200 class 4-6-2's did have 80" drivers.  So there is hope for a Santa Fe engine.  And according to
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/locobase.php?country=USA&wheel=4-6-2&railroad=atsf, the last of the 1200's made it up to 1950.

I'll be the first to agree that correct relative driver sizes are essential in capturing the feel of the prototype. I believe this is especially true with "long legged" passenger steam, and what may seem like a minor dimensional discrepancy in wheel diameter is actually huge in terms of the driver area and its visual presence. To put it more clearly, the area of a 74" driver is about 85.6% that of an 80" driver, a significant reduction. Put that under a boiler shell that's to scale, and the result is a loco out of proportion, IMHO.

That said, I need to note that all but six of the 50 ATSF 3400 class Pacifics were rebuilt with 79" drivers, and would therefore make a fine prototype for a large-drivered model, on par or heavier in size and weight with the K4 @ 325K plus pounds (pic below). The much earlier 1200 class Paficic was much lighter, by almost a third, and all but four of the original 26 locos were scrapped prior to WWII. Only two (1212, 1218) survived to 1950 (Worley's Iron Horses...).

Of course, the chances of getting an ATSF 3400 class are close to zero (and PRB made both original and rebuilt versions in brass many years ago; I happen to have both). I would think a better choice would be a 3776/2900 ATSF Northern, arguably the biggest and meanest of that wheel arrangement. The much retooled and never quite up to par Bachmann version just needs to be scrapped and redone from scratch. Now THAT is one big 80" drivered locomotive. The fact that the 2926 is being restored to operating condition in Albuquerque should get one of the major manufacturer's attention, I hope.
Otto K.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:21:55 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
Alco RSD15
Cory promised that Atlas was going to make this one - he just didn't say when.

YouraverageSPF

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
Maybe Bachmann will eventually upgrade their model with better detail.  Would love to be able to have an 0-6-0 but I hate the way the model looks as it currently is... way too dated...

Paragon3 PRR B6 straight from BLI with sound? Totally feasible prediction if you ask me. :trollface:

In all seriousness, I believe the next steam locomotive to make it to N scale could possibly be a New York Central Hudson. Not only is it a classic engine in american railroading, but the prototype is similar to the PRR K4 where a model of it was made long ago and as such, the prototype needs an upgraded model that's up to snub with modern n scale steamers. I mean, the K4 got an updated model back in 2015, so whose to say that the same can't happen for the NYC Hudson?

Another steamer that could potentially make it to N scale is actually the Reading T1. After all, Northerns are a seemingly popular type of engine for manufacturers to make, not to mention that both T1 restoration projects could entice companies to make a T1 model, like how engines like the UP FEF northern or the NKP S-2 have made it to n scale. A T1 could be a good enough engine to satisfy the SPFs since the Pennsy borrowed 9 of 'em in 1956.

As for Diesels, a safe prediction for me that I always go to is actually a Baldwin DS4-4-1000. With it being a fairly popular switcher with a decent amount of roadnames, it would make for a good prototype for any company to make.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106

Richie Dost

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Fairbank Morse H10-44, H12-44 or H20-44. The smaller ones would uwe the same chassis. Baldwin AS16, AS616 and AS416.

Marc

I'm with Marc, specifically with the H12-44 and AS616. The F-M unit just got good play on both coasts and in between and on a host of shortlines and industrials. As for the Baldwin, we got two - the Centipede which had limited airplay out of the gate and the VO1000 which has done well. It's time for another Baldwin that can do well; and the 16 and 416 would be fun too if they can be worked in.

Just for the record, I am not a fan of locos with limited airplay. The turbine and centipede just do nothing for me and I shy away from roads with freaks like them. But if I am gonna get a freak, I want it to be a Little Joe or a Bipolar (the latter in Armour yellow with a matching Hiawatha set).

I also gotta say, we got some diesels out there that need to come back. The C424 and FA2 mostly for me. Walthers is the culprit there and I hope they feel unparalleled shame for keeping all of the Life Like models under wraps. I'd be okay if Atlas brought back the RSD15 too with a modern drive train, even if it was the old shell. Just give me something to work with.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
... I'd be okay if Atlas brought back the RSD15 too with a modern drive train, even if it was the old shell. Just give me something to work with.

I thought MRC/Mehano did the RSD15. Confirmed: http://www.spookshow.net/loco/mehanorsd15.html  Subsequently imported by Model Power.

"...old shell."? That would go over like a lead balloon in today's market. It was toyish junk relative to the rest of the market even when it was new. Heh... I don't think there's a pole long enough for Atlas to touch the old tooling. I wouldn't put it past Con-Cor, however.  :facepalm:

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238

I just went through this though process myself last week. I could modify the body to be better, but it would probably be faster to just scratchbuild the new body. But then the back of the locomotive looks like it hangs out too far past the rear drivers, at least if I'm trying to get a B&M 0-6-0 out of it anyway, so that's now major work to both the body and chassis, probably involving moving the motor to the tender while I'm in there. In the end, scratch building the whole thing would be easier than working with whatever compromises Bachmann has introduced.

That said, a modern completely new design from someone like Kato or Atlas would be very welcome.

Xmtrman

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Funny you should say that. It was casually mentioned at the UP Historical Society convention that ScaleTrains.com has been sniffing about regarding doing the DD35. Of course, HO first, but their SD40-2 aside, they've been good so far about trickling down their HO work into N. Can't tell if it would be a good seller - is modeling UP in the '60s and '70s a thing for others than just me? I could use a half-dozen, for sure, it's iconic for my road and era. If it were to come to pass (in HO), I do hope the carbon black car thing hasn't scared them off N. :|

How about a U50C?

They already have the power trucks modeled. :D

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
How about a U50C?...

Talk about a model with limited airplay. A single railroad and, lasting only seven years, a short lifespan, to boot. Might as well be a C855B.  :ashat:

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
I'm hopeing for an EL-C electric (E-33). The E-33 could be offered in Virginian, Norfolk and Western, New Haven, Penn Central, and Conrail.  I'm not so sure, but I think the mech could probably be used for an E-44 which could ran in PRR, PC, Conrail, and Amtrak schemes. This would add much needed variety to the GG1 saturated N Scale electric market, and having a RTR Virginian electric would be sweet.

The U28B and U30B is big hole that needs to be filled. Please do high hood versions too. N&W owned a ton of them.

I sure hope we see a correct NS Dash 9 before the prototypes are retired.

More ALCOs would be cool especially an RSD15.

Finally we need a  P h a s e  3  G P 9.