Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/20/17  (Read 10856 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Weekend Update 8/20/17
« on: August 18, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »
+4

Richie Dost

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Weekend Update 8/20/17
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
+2
Nobody needs to post anything.  @u18b has us all beat  :D

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »
+2
Nobody needs to post anything.  @u18b has us all beat  :D

Fact.  So, since there's no use in doing any modeling this weekend (gee . . . thanks, Ron!), I'll be working on wiring the layout:

More on the Seaboard Central 3.0 thread in the Layout Engineering Forum.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:45:11 PM »
+15
Finally completed my fleet of BC Rail Budd RDC's for my N-Scale Chetwynd Sub.  These units normally ran between North Vancouver and Prince George, BC.  Until passenger service was cancelled on the BCR in the early 2000's, they could also be seen on occasional excursion service.  The West Coast Railway Association in Squamish, BC chartered them every fall which saw them run on the entire system from North Vancouver to end of track in Fort Nelson and return, approximately 970 miles one-way.  They will occasionally show up on my layout in the same capacity.

The shells are Shapeways mounted on Kato chassis.  The printing of two of the shells was very rough and required many hours of sanding and filing to get them to an acceptable stage.

Doug

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
+2
2 week anniversary of owning a Beetle  :|

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:19:58 PM »

The design of that little inexpensive people's car was pretty amazing!  Ferdinand's legacy lives on.
. . . 42 . . .

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:49:47 PM »
+10
Finally finished my Chicago Upper and Lower Wacker Drive and got it installed and wired into the layout.  Still moving buildings around and then will add sidewalks and people.  The entire area is covered with lightly textured paper that the charcoal artists use that I purchased at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.  That way I can move the city around and there will always be a road surface showing.

The Chicago River was raised 1 1/2 inches during the project.  It looked too much like a canyon before.  Hey if they could reverse the flow of the entire river in 1900 I figured I could raise it.  Old water surface was destroyed in the move so this is newly painted water covered with gloss medium dabbed with  tissues.

The "Chicago's First Lady" sightseeing boat is a Pete Nolan kit that I built a few years ago.  The stand-in foamcore bridge is the next project. The stand- in is made from elevation drawings found on a website that has drawings for all of the major bridges on the Chicago River.  I'm sending the mock up off to be laser cut.

I just noticed that no one is piloting the boat :o
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »
+4
Heh heh heh. Wacker drive...

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:45:01 PM »
Finally completed my fleet of BC Rail Budd RDC's for my N-Scale Chetwynd Sub.  These units normally ran between North Vancouver and Prince George, BC.  Until passenger service was cancelled on the BCR in the early 2000's, they could also be seen on occasional excursion service.  The West Coast Railway Association in Squamish, BC chartered them every fall which saw them run on the entire system from North Vancouver to end of track in Fort Nelson and return, approximately 970 miles one-way.  They will occasionally show up on my layout in the same capacity.

The shells are Shapeways mounted on Kato chassis.  The printing of two of the shells was very rough and required many hours of sanding and filing to get them to an acceptable stage.

Doug

Outstanding!!!!  Winner winner chicken dinner

More pics please!

Craig

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 12:12:40 AM »
Outstanding!!!!  Winner winner chicken dinner

More pics please!

Craig

Yeah, those RDCs are great, but so is the Wacker drive!  Do I have to choose only one?  Everybody gets a trophy in the WU thread.   :)
. . . 42 . . .

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 01:38:27 AM »
+1
Agreed - good job on the RDCs Doug; looks like they turned out rather well.  My two shells have just arrived at the post office and I will pick them up tomorrow so I will let you know how they turned out.  Craig is right however; more pictures needed.  A picture of the three of them running together would be nice . . .

Roger - some fine city modelling there.  I have not been to Chicago but hope to some day.

My last week of summer holidays was filled with some very enjoyable hours spent modelling and listening to music.  My new M0W car has required some intensive fabrication work in styrene and having some quality time has contributed to a successful build so far.  Here is this week's progress.

The deck received side sills, 'A' end sill (notched for the coupler), and mounts for the Intermountain triple valve and brake cylinder.  I also added stake pockets to the side sills:

The parts for the house at the 'B" end of the car also progressed well.  The sides were assembled from seven pieces of styrene, and window blanks added.  The 'A' end sheets were laminated together, doors installed, window blanks added, and fuel filler opening cut out.  The top rib on the Intermountain 'B' end was changed to match the prototype.  The end and side windows were opened up and roughly squared out; I have more work to do on them yet:

For the 'A" end of the car, the ramps and deck housings for them were a lot of work.  The ramps are of a lattice style construction with round downs at each end.  The deck housings have twelve ribs on top, inset sides with tapers at each end, and side gussets.  Assembling these parts took a lot of time due to the need to let glue dry before adding the next part.  I also cut out a piece of BLMA diamond tread plate to go between the ramps housings:

In between the house and ramp housings is some wood decking.  I cut the individual pieces from scale lumber and stained them.  I was going to assemble this into a single part but didn't want AC showing afterwards, so will add it board by board after the model is painted:

My goal for the coming week is to finish filing out the windows, prepare the etched detail parts, and drill holes for them while the major parts are still flat on the workbench.

I also picked up a pair of nice tank cars today which are suitable for operation in northern British Columbia.  Hooker Chemicals had a plant in North Vancouver and shipped chemicals north on the BCR, and the Canadian Liquid Air car is also suitable:

Nice models Atlas!

Tim
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:42:01 AM by BCR 570 »
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 02:52:31 AM »
+7
Throwback to celebrate the return of DKS to the Railwires!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 03:32:34 AM »
I did not know that , thanks for mentioning it on the arguably go to thread hear .

Richie Dost

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 09:00:31 AM »
A couple of pics from my recent trip to St John

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

metalworkertom

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 09:01:34 AM »

Ah the joy of new floor pans. If your replacing the master cylinder , don't lose the two spacers in between the firewall !