Author Topic: Why do N scale figures suck so, so bad?  (Read 9823 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
Re: Why do N scale figures suck so, so bad?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »
I have closely inspected many of the Woodland Scenics figures, and found the quality to vary quite a bit (in my opinion) - some are quite good while others are what I term as "blobby".

So (if you are able), inspect before you buy.

Mark
I have painted some of my own over the years, and some of mine turn out "blobby" as well.  Effects of temp, humidity, paint viscosity, etc are magnified with you are trying to paint N scale hands or neckties.  Obviously more of an issue for some manufacturers than others- cheap figures painted in thick gloss enamels are sometimes worth stripping the paint and starting over- there may be more detail under the pink lump representing the head than you would think. 

What I really need is to find a system to paint a whole bunch of "background" figures.  I have collected several boxes of unpainted figures over the years, along with some Prieser and Noch, etc painted sets.  I figure to use the Preiser sets for key scenes, and my own not quite so well done ones in the background, but need a way to mass produce so it doesn't take most of the next decade.  Anyone have a way to knock out figures 50 at a time?  They would not have to be photo quality, I am thinking more about the 3 foot rule in this case.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 11:51:31 AM »
@David K. Smith is in the house everyone!  Great to see you post even if for just a moment.  :D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »
+1
@David K. Smith is in the house everyone!  Great to see you post even if for just a moment.  :D

OMG OMG OMG

::tries not to make a big deal::
::makes a big deal::

YAAAAAAAYY! 

Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
Invisible high five with claws extended...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
Anyone have a way to knock out figures 50 at a time?  They would not have to be photo quality, I am thinking more about the 3 foot rule in this case.

Actually I'm pretty sure that is exactly how the factory workers do these - in an assembly line fashion.

When I paint mine (about a dozen or so at a time) I start by mounting them to something that I can hold while painting. The figures are either still attached to sprues (Preiser makes this easy by having all the sprues attached on the top of their heads), or other brands I pin to a piece of brass wire.

Next, I prime them with white primer.

Then I paint all the exposed skin areas (I don't have to be too careful about where the paint goes since the "clothing" will be painted later).  I leave them all to dry.

Next step is open up bunch of paint bottles open. Pick mostly bland colors that would be used in clothing. But you can use vivid colors too. Those are the clothes colors. Or get a watercolor palette and pour the different color paints into the cups.

Then select some color and paint an article of clothing on several of the figures. Some pants, some tops - whatever you fee like. Then while that is drying, rinse out the brush and move onto the next color and repeat the process until all the colors have been used and all the figures are painted with semi-random color choices. Of course if you are good with  color coordinating, you can make all the figures look very elegantly dressed.  :D

When this is done, work on detail painting: shoes, neckties, buttons, etc.

Last step is to paint hair using appropriate colors (after cutting the Preiser figures off the sprue).

This is one of the few instances where I use water-based acrylics. Easy to clean up and they dry fast.
. . . 42 . . .

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
This is one of the few instances where I use water-based acrylics. Easy to clean up and they dry fast.

Do you thin the acrylics before you apply them, Peter?  They always look kind of lumpy when I use them right out of the bottle.

DKS - Good to hear from you again.
Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
Do you thin the acrylics before you apply them, Peter?  They always look kind of lumpy when I use them right out of the bottle.

DKS - Good to hear from you again.

Well, yes and  no.   The old Polly-S paints are thick - they need to be thinned a bit (I use distilled water).  The latest Polly Scale paints (before they were discontinued) are fairly thin - no thinning needed.  My experience with these paints is fairly limited. I mostly use them for figure painting and some weathering.
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8040
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 04:40:58 PM »
OK, ever the contrarian.....

While I'll agree that 'generally' the N scale figures collection has been pretty miserable, the Woodland Scenics collections are a pretty solid start.  I've also done major surgery on them to move arms, legs, and do some pretty intense surgery to fit situations.

The biggest problem they have is the final painting texture.   So before you decide they are really worthless, get out your washes and chalks and tinker a bit, particularly with 'workers' and crews.   I find that a thin black wash on them really draws out the detail and does wonders to knock down the rather intense stock colors.

I disagree. The biggest problem is that they're only appropriate for the first half of the 20th century. I need dudes like these:

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 04:57:37 PM »
+1
Ah, so you want guys posing for photographs.  :facepalm:
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 08:39:41 PM »
I was browsing through Klein's selection today and the market is just so, so bad.

The ones that exist either look like crap or like they were lifted from a Normal Rockwell Saturday Evening Post print.

Where are the engine crews in t shirts and jeans?

Where are the normal people who aren't wearing cowboy hats?

How about some "people sitting on benches" that AREN'T wearing cowboy hats?

Is this REALLY that hard??

According to my wife, once they get on a layout they look like grains of rice anyway.  Why worry about it unless it is a front of the layout display?  Those you can probably afford to work hard.

Personally, I model the early 60s, so (assuming I ever get around to re-scenicing) I am perfectly happy with my stock of little men in suits and fedoras
Regards,
Paul

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 09:41:40 PM »

Personally, I model the early 60s, so (assuming I ever get around to re-scenicing) I am perfectly happy with my stock of little men in suits and fedoras

What about all the '60s hippies dude?  Funky clothes and big hair!  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »
What about all the '60s hippies dude?  Funky clothes and big hair!
The big hair is easy.  It's getting the detail on the tie-dyed shirts that kills me!

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2017, 03:06:22 AM »
+1
And Dave have you seen these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-N-Nn3-Western-Figures/172811864013?epid=905614825&hash=item283c63c7cd%3Ag%3AAVAAAOSw8FtZiTIe

Those are Nn3. @Dave V is modeling standard gauge.

@David K. Smith words cannot describe how awesome it is to see you post. You have been sorely missed!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2017, 03:09:22 AM »
Those are Nn3. @Dave V is modeling standard gauge.

Did you just imply those figures are narrow gauge? :facepalm: ;) :trollface:

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2017, 03:40:50 AM »
Did you just imply those figures are narrow gauge? :facepalm: ;) :trollface:

-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com