Author Topic: What did I do to my new S2?  (Read 2348 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: What did I do to my new S2?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 11:24:16 PM »
How does this JMRI deal with the indexed CV thing with LokSound Decoders? When I go to read a CV in the indexed range using my Prodigy Express system, I would first have to change CV32 to the correct index, then read the CV.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 12:07:52 AM »
How does this JMRI deal with the indexed CV thing with LokSound Decoders? When I go to read a CV in the indexed range using my Prodigy Express system, I would first have to change CV32 to the correct index, then read the CV.

JMRI must do that the same way you are doing it manually: write to the index CV first then reads the CV.
. . . 42 . . .

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 12:36:12 AM »
Dave Heap's ESU decoder definitions for JMRI know how to handle the index CVs. For each and every read or write to an indexed CV, it first sets the index CVs. This is one of the reasons DecoderPro takes so long accessing the data in these decoders, since it must read and write based on the DCC standard.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5439
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
I caved and bought a NH version ... the sound these Alcos make is highly amusing. Not your usual EMD sound. Someday I will get a PA1 with tru-Alco sounds so I can have two washing machines cycling tin cans on the layout at once.  :trollface:

Go for the hat trick -- does anybody make a sound unti for a DL109? Three washing machines are better than two ...

The couple times I got to see actual Alco powered Alcos it sounded like a washing machine indeed, plus a dryer next to it full of shoes....  A friend of mine said they always sounded like it was all they could do to keep all the parts moving in the same direction.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
No way. Neat!

Now the next question.

Why, when I put it on my programming track, is it reading back all values as 255?

Digitrax connected to a mac via a PR3.

That's the same as I was using.  I have some of the first release ALCo S2's (PRR naturally) and my programming setup was an Apple MacBook Pro (2012) with a Digitrax PR3/PS14 and JMRI.  The only problem I had was at first things were spotty until the wheel coating was worn down some - that first (and maybe second) had that problem with spoty conductivity on the wheels until they were run in quite a bit.

Are you using a PS14 to power your PR3?  I had no problems with regular TCS and Digitrax decoders with the PR3/PS14 combo.  The only ESU decoders I've programmed to this date with this setup (I also have a LokProgrammer) are the ones in the Atlas ALCo S2 so there may be some slight difference between that custom decoder and the regular ESU decoders.  I had problems reading (never got to try to write) the BLI Paragon 2 decoder in my M1a so I later switched to a regulated 18v p/s that I got on Amazon (or Ebay) which did a little better but still was not dependable.  I then bought a SPROG 3 (the SPROG 2 would do, but the shop was out of them at the time and I didn't want to wait) and that one reads/writes the BLI decoder with no problem.

But if you're having problems with the ESU and PR3 you might look for a different p/s for it. I'd look for something that's regulated and between 18-20v dc.  The 20v is a max and you might have to be careful programming newer Digitrax decoders with it as they seem to have standardized on an absolute maximum of 16v on the rails for a lot of their N scale decoders (despite the NMRA standard requiring higher max voltages).

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:06:43 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566