Author Topic: Digitrax announces LNWI - Wireless LocoNet Interface  (Read 3723 times)

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
Re: Digitrax announces LNWI - Wireless LocoNet Interface
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
Digitrax graciously donated their very first production sample to us (T-TRAK layout) at the National Train Show in Orlando this past week...Terry Nathan and Josh Murrah had it plugged and functioning within minutes. We've also been using a raspberry Pi so that we can use our phone or pad throttles in addition to the UR92 for our setups...but Terry's Raspberry Pi actually started giving us a few issues at the show. The Digitrax unit operated flawlessly. the support of only 4 throttles limits it somewhat, but, we've found that, even in a large setup, 4 wifi throttles has been plenty since we also use a UR92 and most operators are equipped with their own throttles. Of course, more than one unit can be used to expand operator usage, but the next four must log in to a separate address-not really an issue. Just assign groups of 4 to different addresses.

Here are some quick comments he posted Sunday afternoon at the show; they are obviously directed to those who were, as of then, unaware of the announcement of the product.

"Digitrax just donated the first LNWI Wi/Fi interface module off the production line to the T-TRAK layout at the National Train Show. We hooked it up to the control unit we are using at the National Train Show and were running trains with our phone within a couple of minutes. The interface was announced at the NMRA convention on Thursday and Digitrax was generous enough to donate it to the T-TRAK layout (thanks to Fay Chin and Bill Nash's petitions). The unit will retail for less than $79 and creates a wi/fi network which will interface with the existing JMRI apps (Engine Driver and WiThrottle) to allow anyone with a smartphone or tablet to control trains on a Digitrax control unit. Another great new development for their product line, and hopefully an indication of more new innovations to come.
Thank you Digitrax for having such confidence in T-TRAK as a showcase for their new products. Generous donations were also received from Kato, Woodlands, Showcase Miniatures, T-Kits, and other great vendors. Kato even featured a T-TRAK layout in their booth. The recognition and vendor support that T-TRAK has received at the National Train Show has been outstanding - a true indication as to how far our format has progressed in the world of model railroading.
For more information, see the description and user manual on the Digitrax announcement, see their web site."

~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 04:17:58 PM »
Seems a shame to have to use the JRMI protocols.  I would think they could have just used the loconet packets.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »
Seems a shame to have to use the JRMI protocols.  I would think they could have just used the loconet packets.

Jason

But doesn't that make it compatible with non-Digitrax DCC systems?
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 05:15:43 PM »
But doesn't that make it compatible with non-Digitrax DCC systems?

I don't think so.   I assume that the WIFI module translates the Phone software information which is text based into the loconet 'language' and puts it onto the lononet like any normal throttle and then the command station takes that and does its thing.

It's the only way I'm understanding this could work.  If there some documentation on this, I love a link to it.

Jason

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
I'm no fan of JMRI so I can see potential here. WiThrottle is an ugly interface though and I wish Digitrax made their own dedicated app.

ESU needs to get off their a$$ and release their throttle app. Their wireless controller runs Android and I know they were experimenting with the app on phones.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 09:59:45 PM »
+2

That's what you have with the duplex radio throttles and the UR92 right now.

I assume they used the JMRI wireless protocols so they could take advantage the existence of the WiThrottle and EngineDriver apps.  Otherwise they would have had to write or commission the creation of their own apps.  That was the downfall of the original WiFi interface announced 4 or 5 years ago and never released.  The firm they hired to write the software wasn't able to produce anything useful.  This way they have hundreds(?) of potential users immediately without having to wait for their own apps to take hold plus a proven and fairly debugged communication protocol.

I don't think so.   I assume that the WIFI module translates the Phone software information which is text based into the loconet 'language' and puts it onto the lononet like any normal throttle and then the command station takes that and does its thing.

You're correct.  It's basically a WiFi<-->Loconet gateway
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 12:57:51 AM »
Looks like we have another happy user: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=42697.0
. . . 42 . . .