Author Topic: 45 degree skewed bridge?  (Read 2832 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Re: 45 degree skewed bridge?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »
Considering the longer distance you are covering, it's possible an HO version bridge would be useable. The longer the distance to carry the tracks over, the heavier the bridge components (beams, support stringers, uprights, etc) have to be. Using an HO bridge for N scale structure this long would not look too outsized. Use an HO single track bridge and add extra stringers for the double tracks using Plastruct or Evergreen I beams the same size as the HO stringers. This option lets you even widen the space the bridge crosses, say for adding an access/maintenance road along the main.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 02:34:15 AM »
+1
OldEastRR:  That's what I did with my Loudwater River bridge 35 years ago, more or less.  It started as 3 AHM Pony Truss HO spans, with everything except the trusses discarded.  New internal bracing turned it into a deck bridge, and it looks fine for a mainline N bridge. 

Nowadays a much nicer bridge could be made from CV truss bridge parts, but mine has the advantage of durability.  Besides being used on three different layouts, it once had a cat slide through it!  The track had to be replaced, which was planned anyway, as we were moving, but the spans survived undamaged.

N Kalanaga
Be well

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »
That is a good looking bridge!
Otto K.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329