Author Topic: Best Of Railwire Travelling Baggage Car - Photo Thread  (Read 31337 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Railwire Travelling Baggage Car - Photo Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2018, 08:06:41 AM »
Great!  Loved all of the prior thread references! :D

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
Nice to see another stop from the original Puddington Valley Boxcar tour.  Thanks, David.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2018, 04:20:45 AM »
+5
Jim and the Railwire Express Agency begin their journey across the PRR's Middle Division and soon cross Sherman Creek where it empties into the Susquehanna.
 They are in mail & express train #15.

The train arrives in Huntingdon and passes Hunt Tower.

The Railwire Express car is cut out of the consist and needs to head back east with an important shipment.  Jim - take this load of bacon to Newport, PA pronto!  After delivering the bacon, Jim heads to the Hard Hat for a tall, cold one.

Here's Jim and a friend at the Hard Hat.  He like's his wings extra hot.

Then its back to Huntingdon to pick up another priority shipment that just arrived on the Huntingdon & Broad Top.  Jim - take this milk to those babies pronto!

While in Huntingdon, Jim would love to take a break at the Joyland Tavern for a tall cold one.  Snap out of it man, you're on the job!

Another day, another shipment.  The Railwire Express Agency never sleeps.  That's why Jim looks the way he does.  This time it is a million dollar shipment.  Jim - get Justify and Audible to Belmont Racetrack in time for the Belmont Stakes - pronto!

Passing through Johnstown, Jim delivers 500 spark plugs and the new Miss Spark Plug calendar to Beer's Auto Electric service.  All in a days work.  The Railwire Express Agency delivers the goods!

Okay Jim, now you can have that tall cold one.  Or two, or three, or sixteen.  You're headed to the JD!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:38:36 AM by dougnelson »

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »
Ooooh, will the new owner of the JD be revealed?  @Dave V ?

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2018, 08:07:22 PM »
Ooooh, will the new owner of the JD be revealed?  @Dave V ?

All will be revealed in its own time.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
Well THAT was cryptic, thanks Dr. Strange, LOL. One in 14 million+ possible timelines, eh?

Hop the leg is better.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2018, 10:51:53 PM »
I’m calling it: Eric bought the JD.
He visits Vollmer a lot. 
Vollmer is next on the list (again).
Eric is after him on the list (also again).
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2018, 11:38:31 AM »
+2
Jim looked out the porthole window and realized he'd been here before...the bucolic Juniata River valley of central Pennsylvania and the Pennsy mainline.  Continuing west out of Huntingdon he crossed the Juniata at Spruce Creek on an iconic Pennsylvania Railroad stone arch bridge.

And although Lewistown is "railroad east" of Huntingdon, as he rolled into Lewistown yet again he began to wonder if the Pennsy wasn't just a giant oval of trackage...

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2018, 04:42:21 PM »
Jim had been rolling for days, and what seemed like thousands of miles. Cars had been swapped in and out, and the power had changed a few times, but onward he rolled. The weather had recently turned sour.

Jim felt like he had crossed half the country, yet every time he looked out the porthole, he saw the same things passing by.

He was beginning to doubt his own sanity.

“Wait, don’t tell me...” Jim thought. “Next we cross the Juniata again at Spruce Creek.”

“Well, the next time we come in to Lewistown again, I guess I’ll get another Ruben at the lunch counter.”

As the train slowed to a stop at the station, Jim wondered if he would ever find a way out of this. Maybe it was time to check the flux capacitor again.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »
+3
Railwire Express Agency brought Triple Crown Winner Justfy to the Belmont Stakes!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2018, 12:42:00 PM »
Railwire Express Agency brought Triple Crown Winner Justfy to the Belmont Stakes!

Hey, I saw that horse run (and win) at Preakness!!!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »
+2
The story continues, Jim has arrived in Utah. More to come following NSE convention.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:13:01 PM by Jbub »
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2018, 04:20:45 PM »
Just found this picture online.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/661512/

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2018, 04:16:23 AM »
+4

UP 1983:  Dispatch, UP 1983

Dispatch:  Go ahead UP 1983, I’m guessing this has to do with the alarm going off at my desk for your block?

UP 1983:  Yessir, We were approaching the signal and when we were about 1/4 mile out, the light just went from green to red. We went into emergency and ended up into the next block by half a car length or so.

Dispatch:  Hmmmm, interesting. There was nothing in front of you on your track. Hold tight, There’s a local coming up from Ogden on the other main, I’ll have them report on anything they see.

UP 1983:  Roger that, it’s about time for lunch anyway.

KaThumP!!!

Jim awoke to a dizzying headache. The only sounds he could hear were Russ bleating away and that of rushing water. Even though the b60 was spinning around him, no doubt from the roundy round motion of the last month in the Juanita Division’s ground hog day like loop, he could tell the “Old Pennsy Baggage car” was stationary.

He peeked out the porthole window and saw nothing but sagebrush and rocks. He determined that they were sitting on a main line somewhere out west, but where?

Jim: Well Russ, we aren’t in Pennsylvania, that’s for sure.

Russ: Baaaa!

Jim: Quit yer whining! I know you’re hungry and so am I. As sick as I am of the Rueban’s in Lewistown, it sure would be tasty right now. At least you can go feed on the grass outside.

Russ: Baaaaaa!

Jim thought to himself what mutton tasted like roasted over an open fire. This place sure seemed like the west he’s heard of. How did the cowboy’s survive out here? Maybe he should have gone to work on a ranch and driven cattle around these parts. At least he wouldn’t be traveling back and forth through time talking to a mad sheep and always waking up to a new pile salt.

Dispatch: UP 3367, Dispatch. Hey as you guys are heading up the canyon keep your eyes open for anything on the other main that could be tripping the signals. We had a green go straight to red and don’t know why.

UP 3367: Sure ‘nough  Dispatch. We can see a car of some sorts up ahead, we’re too far to make it out yet though.

Dispatch: Oookay, Huh? Well let me know what it is as soon as you can make it out.

UP 3367: Yeppers, will do.

UP 3367: Dispatch, this is 3367. You ain’t gonna believe what’s up here. There’s an old baggage car…looks to be in Pennsylvania colors. There’s also a dude waving us down with a sheep at his side.

Dispatch: Well this is turning out to be quite the interesting day. Where in the HELL did that car come from? And trespassers? Foamer’s waiting for 844 for sure. I’ll get police up there to give a nice ticket and tell them to stay the hell off railroad property.  3367, ignore the trespasser and continue on. The excursion train is due through there on that track in a few hours and I don’t want to tie that up. Ed D will have my neck if I slow him down again. UP 1983, proceed at yard speed to meet up with this baggage car. I’m gonna have you push it to the next siding in Morgan.

UP 3367: Roger dat.

UP 1983: Um okay, we’ll head down the track to push whatever it is to Morgan

UP 1983: Hey dispatch, this guy is still hanging around that baggage car. He looks like he might be a conductor, maybe? We’re going to get out and talk to him.

Dispatch: Yeah, normally I would say no to leaving the cab, but WTF. I’ll probably get fired anyway for losing a car on the main anyway.

Engineer: Hey down there, you know you’re trespassing on UP property? The police are in route so I would leave before they get here if I were you.

Jim could feel his blood pressure go up. Here he is a PRR employee and what were these fools who work for Western Pacific…or…Union Pacific telling him to move aside. In his mind the PRR owned these railroads.

Jim: Sorry bud, no can do. You see, my sheep and I are stranded out here in our baggage car. Where ever here is.

Conductor: Your…baggage car? Pet sheep? How in the…What in the…

Engineer: Listen dude, just step aside. I’ve got track orders to push you down to the next siding and get on our way. We’re really close to our duty hour limit and I would like to be closer to Salt Lake when that time is up.

Jim’s eye’s widened at the word salt.  The TSPSSTRCU was still on the manifest and loaded in the baggage car. The thing runs on salt and that was all he needed, another boost of speed for the flux capacitor and the baggage car would be in another history.

Jim: Salt Lake? Please tell me that it’s just a name and that there is really no salt there.

Engineer: Oh, there’s salt there. A whole ancient lake bed of the stuff. Why are you afraid of a little salt?

Jim’s fear of the Salt flashed to anger in an instant.

Jim: Look! I would love to understand how the TSPSSTRCU works and the properties of flux capacitor time travel also but I’m nothing more than a conductor for the PRR. Dammit, I’m not a scientist, just a Jim. So how about you do what you what you were told to do and push us down to the next siding.

Engineer: Wow! Somebody’s a little testy.

Russ: Baaa, baaaaaaa, baaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Jim thought to himself again on what fire roasted mutton tastes like.

Engineer: Okay Jim! Dispatch informed us there’s an excursion train coming through in a bit. We’re leaving your car on the siding for the next available train to take you to…where ever, do you even have a destination?

Jim: Excursion train? Whatever that is. My next stop is the Cascade Mountain ,Mine & Mill, Division… I think. I never know these days. Hey, I’m sorry about the attitude. I’m pretty hangry since I haven’t eaten for little while and the only thing I’ve had for the past month are Rueben’s

Engineer: No prob dude. That’s enough to drive anyone mad. There’s a good produce shack just down the road from the freight depot. They have Bear Lake raspberries and some awesome corn. Good luck on the journey though.

Jim and Russ watched the modern loco’s rumble past them. Jim thought to himself about the weirdness of this trip. Did he eat something to cause him to trip out and dream all this? It seems all too real though, and drawn out. First things first though. Time for some food as soon as the last car passes between him and the freight depot.

Jim: You know what Russ? This is a pretty little town. I wouldn't mind living here when this all settles down. Crisp mountain air and no where near as many people back in Pennsylvania. Not to mention no Carl, I’m blaming this whole mess on him. Anyway, the train is almost over, let’s go get something to eat.

Russ: Baaaaaaaa!

Jim: Oh and Russ…I’m sorry. Sorry that I thought about eating you.

Russ: BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

More to come.....

Darth Vader

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2018, 04:41:16 AM »
+5

As Russ and Jim crossed the tracks they felt a strange energy envelope them from behind. Jim noticed that the freight house now seemed to be a little fresher in color and up keep. As they approached the fence, a group of people came to enquire about the strange baggage car now sitting on the siding.

Robert: Well hey there stranger. Where’d you come from? I could’a swore that track was empty just a moment ago.

Jim: It’s a long story…one that’s been going on for near on a year now. Speaking of years. What’s the date today

Mike: It’s Friday July 6th

Jim: And the year?

Mike: Well that doesn’t change to often but it’s 1956.

Jim realized why they depot looked newer all of a sudden.

Jim: Uhhhh, Okay… Well I’m assuming this is Morgan, in the state of Utah?

A cute girl in her late teens or early twenties answered.

Cindy: Sure is, good old Mormon country. You ever heard of the Mormon’s?

Nate: Now Cindy, be nice to the boy, we don’t want to be scaring him off.

Cindy: Sorry dad! You always tell us to show people how normal we are since they think we’re weird.

Jim had heard of Mormons and that they were indeed “weird”. He was once told that the men had a bunch of wives and would actually try to live with all of them.

Jim: Mormon’s? Aren’t you the people with like 10 wives or something like that?

Robert: Weeeelllll, maybe not 10 wives, more like 2 or 3.

Jim replied with an awkward: Uh huh…

Mike: Robert’s just joking with you. One wife, that’s it. Could you even imagine multiple wives? The nagging is bad enough with just one.

One of the womens eyes flashed red and she quickly turned toward Mike.

Suzzane: Michael Joseph Young! I HAVE never… I do not nag you. And if I have you sure ‘nough deserved every bit of it.

Mike (under his breath to Jim): See what I mean?

As Jim was listening to the banter between the Mormons, he started to feel dizzy again. His vision started to tunnel in, he could hear Russ making some odd noises too and then he and Russ fell down. Trying to open his eyes, he noticed an odd train running down the tracks. It looked foreign. It looked like something from Japan, but how?

Mary Ann: Oh Jim! You o.k.?

Jim: Yeah, I’m a little hungry that’s all. (Even though he knew it was more to do with the flux capacitor acting up) Is there anywhere to get some food around here?

Mary Ann: Yeah, Darlene’s produce stand’s just down the way. If you’re lucky she might even have some fresh trout from the river and some jerky.

Jim: Sounds good, show me the way. By the way what was that strange train that just flew through town?

Nate: Oh that thing? Some rich kook down in Salt Lake bought a Japanese passenger train had it shipped here and converted it to run on American rails. I’ve never figured out how he got the railroad to allow it on their tracks. It pretty much stays on this stretch and only comes out a few times a year.

As the newly formed group of people walked down to Darlene’s stand Jim could smell the sweet smell of charcoal smoke cooking corn and fish. Jim’s mouth began to water as he imagined some freshly grilled trout with lemon and dill, corn on the cob cooked over coals with that smoky flavor mixed with the saltiness of fresh farm butter. And then he saw the early crop of peaches. Oh this was heaven for a hungry man.

As they all ate their lunch, the group of Mormons were still interested about where he came from.

Robert: Well Jim, I’m still curious on where you came from. It’s not too often we get Pennsylvania equipment out here.

Jim: It’s hard to explain. I started out west with some special packages in the b60 and one of those packages ended up making a real mess of time and locale. Time travel is a real thing as is teleportation.
Sometimes though, certain items can get lost in the chaos. I had one large black package get lost. I’m not sure if someone thought it was junk and rubbed it off the shipping list or what. Anyway, I wake up in new places and years all the time now.

Nate: Okay now, we really don’t like fibbers around these parts. I think it might be time for you to head back to that “ time traveling “ baggage car to wait for your pickup.

Jim: Sorry to offend you Nate, but it’s the truth. Robert even noticed we pretty much came out of nowhere. And the real reason Russ and I collapsed back at the depot was that the time machine is acting weird. But you’re right it’s time for me to move on to my next destination.

Cindy: Dad, don’t let him go so quick. He’s kinda cute!

Feeling a little pleased at himself but at the same time awkward having been found attractive by someone a little less than half his age.

Jim: Uh, thanks Cindy. But I do have to leave. Traveling is my job.

Nate: Oh Cindy, you’re a little young for him…

Cindy: Well if you can’t stay, I’m coming with you! I’ve always wanted to go to the city.

Flabbergasted on what to say Jim could only let out a confused "Uhhh.."

Nate: Listen young lady, what are you going to do on a train car?

Nate continued to lecture Cindy about how bad it would be to run off with a total stranger who tells lies about time travel. Jim decided that it might be a good time for he and Russ to slip away and run back to the baggage car.

As Jim and Russ crossed over the last main before the siding the b60 was on, they felt that strange energy again and out of nowhere a Union Pacific FEF-3 appeared screaming it’s whistle as it slowly came to a stop.

Ed D: Hey guys, there’s that passenger car dispatch was telling us about. (Ed notices Jim and Russ by the b60) Hey you, is this your’s?

Jim: Well technically it belongs to the PRR but I’m in charge of it’s contents.

Ed D: PRR? Well, let’s see that’s part of NS now and well, I guess I could get corporate to buy that. We are the borg afterall. We assimilate all!!!

Jim: Uh, well from where I come from PRR owns the transcontinental so I think we own you.

Ed D: Resistance is futile! Boys couple that beauty to our train

Train crew: Yes boss!

Ed D wanted the baggage car as close to him as possible so he had it couple up in front of the tool car.

Jim: Well Russ, I don’t know what is happening right now but hopefully this will get us to our next destination.

Russ: Baaaaa! BAaaaaA! Ba Baa BA

Jim: No Russ! Don’t you dare.

As the loco’s pushed the baggage car towards the rest of the train Russ jumped from the b60 and ran toward the FEF across the water car.

Jim tried to chase Russ down but can’t keep up with the determined sheep.

Jim: Russ, I told you no! What are you doing?

Russ: BAAAAA BAAAA BA BA

Jim: So how’s a sheep going to take control of the train and what are you going to do with it if you did.

Russ: Baa Baa BAAAA Ba ba Ba BAAAAAAA

Jim: YOU what? You’re going to take the train hostage until it’s owned by the PRR again?

As the train rounded out the corner, Jim felt the speed increase! He looked into the cab of the old steamer and noticed the maniacal look of Ed D’s face and recognized it as someone wanting more speed. Oh no! he thought. This thing is going to hit 88mph and take us somewhere else.

Jim: Russ, get back to the baggage car! It’s going to time jump again.

As they got to the rear of the diesel loco, they felt a final surge of speed as they jumped across the gap into the baffle door.
Jim landed first on the floor with Russ landing on top of him. Jim nudged Russ off his now sore body and noticed through the porthole window that the scenery had not changed but they were slowing down considerably.

Jim leaned out of the baggage car and was confused at what he saw. A trio of loco’s that would normally not be consisted together with a California Zephyr in tow.
There must be something wrong with the flux capacitor. He looked at the machine closer and noticed in big red letters. PROTOTYPE! May not function as designed.
Great he thought. A malfunctioning time machine that now distorts reality from what it should be.

After thinking about the situation they were in, Jim decided that they weren’t going to get to where they needed with this train.
Jim: Okay Russ. Here’s what we are going to do. We are going to put some salt in the TSPSSTRCU and get this train moving to speed again. I’m hoping that it doesn’t crash through the car end so we are going to chain the thing up really well.

Not knowing what the physics of this set up would do, Jim prayed that it would work.
Jim: Okay Russ here we go! 3…2…1…

BOOOOOOM!!!
The TSPSSTRCU came to life and miraculously Jim could feel the train begin to gain speed. But not at the rate he had hoped.

As the train rounded another corner he could hear the dynamic brakes on the ES44 and GP60’s kick on to slow the train from the increased speed. Jim poured some more salt into the TSPSSTRCU and boom again. The train began to barrel down the tracks at a faster speed.
This time though, there was a light show. Sparks began flying both from the wheels and the machine and in a brilliant flash the train slowed again.
He looked out the window and saw…nothing.

Nothing but a few trees and a lot of grass. No hills, no mountains. He could now hear the chuff of a 2-8-2 and the smell of burning oil and steam.
Jim wasn’t sure on where he was, it sure looked like Nebraska but he was tired from today’s time jumps and didn't really care where here was. Maybe he could just follow this train for a while and take in the simple but beautiful scenery.

Jim: Well Russ, like normal I’m not sure where we are at but hopefully we are headed in the right direction. I think I’m going to take in the view and let the clickity clak lull me to sleep.

Russ: Ba!

As the train sauntered through the landscape Jim couldn’t help feel like this was in some ways closer to home. This was a less busy time that seemed less stressful. That made Jim happy and as he relaxed and washed any care away of where they were heading with a glass of brown liquid he found, he gently fell asleep to the repeated chuffing of the CB&Q Mikado.

Darth Vader