Author Topic: Kato low pro geared wheelsets in current Atlas trucks?  (Read 2803 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1662
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Kato low pro geared wheelsets in current Atlas trucks?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 04:29:29 PM »
that's a nice little arbor press.  Might I ask where you found it?

Yes, at an electronic hobbyist's treasure trove:  ESS in Manchester, NH.  They have all sorts of oddball surplus from various electronic companies. I could spend hours there just browsing. And since many items are one-offs, you find new stuff on every visit.  When I spotted that nice small arbor press there during one of my visits, it was love at first sight. And it cost me almost nothing (don't recall, probably less than $20).  It is ideal for what I need in my hobbies.  Actually, it was a part of a customized fixture for some repetitive task. I disassembled the fixture and used the nicely machined aluminum plate for a base.

The label on it states:
Janesville Tool & MFG, INC.
Milton WI, 53563
608-868-4741
And the side of the press has "1LP 500" molded on it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:23:06 AM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +447
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 04:47:53 PM »
A very useful little modelling press can be fashioned from this watch case press from Harbor Freight.  $13 less a 20% coupon. :) 

It is the frame and accurately guided ram as well as size and appropriate force that make it useful.  If you own a lathe and mill that's a real bonus as you can make all sorts of upper and lower tooling for many jobs.  The pilot holes are there and in alignment and the frame is cast iron so very rigid, maintaining alignment.  Just a good, handy little press frame.  With a couple of little fixtures it would do axles like no tomorrow. 8)
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=watch+case+press
Mark G.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »
Mark, I didn't see that on HF!  Should make for a good press for our N-scale needs.  Their real arbor press is $60 but in N-scale we don't need tonnage rated presses.  :D