Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/23/17  (Read 8248 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

craigolio1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2738
  • Respect: +2388
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »
0
My layout reached a major milestone this weekend with the completion of three months of wiring and turnout control for Dawson Creek yard.  I completed the track-laying in March, at which time the underside of the benchwork looked like this:




After three months of work (all of it done while lying on my back with my head and shoulders resting on the lower deck), it now looks like this:




This view underneath the central portion of the yard shows the dual track bus runs, and the auxiliary power bus to supply the servo drivers.  Note that the LED light strips underneath the upper deck were mounted on small wood blocks to allow for the passage of wiring above:
 



This image was taken underneath the east ladder tracks where there is a high concentration of turnouts.  For each turnout there is a servo mounted on a bracket with the frog juicer attached to the rear of the bracket, and a second bracket for the Singlet servo driver:




A central schematic panel identifies the tracks and the industries for operators.  It is tilted 30 degrees for an optimum viewing angle:




This is the east ladder panel (also tilted) and several smaller panels for individual turnouts:




This view shows the panel for the west ladder and also illustrates the angled mounts:




Several locomotives have been brought up to Dawson Creek for testing and adjusting of turnouts.  Here we see C-420 No. 632 near the station, as well as RS-18, No. 613, RS-10 No. 581 and RS-18 No. 607:




I am very pleased to have the yard finished and operational.  I will now take a break from layout work to enjoy running trains and return to some modelling projects.

Tim

Nice work Tim! Cleanest wiring I've ever seen.

Craig

Jbub

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1908
  • Gender: Male
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +610
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 04:57:47 PM »
0
I've got a friend who does low voltage installs (key cards, alarms and such) I think he would want to hire you with that type of work. Nicely done!
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

jpwisc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1321
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +3924
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 06:25:18 PM »
+3
I made a little engine progress on my SD50F today. It would be nice to get this one into the paint booth soon.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
0
Little upset this past weekend. BNSF Columbia River Sub is no more. Stripped and packed for move. Board with
scenery and track going to good home, a fellow railroader.

fcnrwy23

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 431
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +617
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »
0
BCR 570 - A VERY Impressive and Professional operation!!  NO Trouble-shooting problems here!!  :D

jpwisc -  Sorry, If I missed any previous posts.  Is that shell ALL resin, or a mix of plastic and resin parts?.

Jerry G.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »
0
Little upset this past weekend. BNSF Columbia River Sub is no more. Stripped and packed for move. Board with
scenery and track going to good home, a fellow railroader.
Didn't you just move?

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3833
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1378
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 08:44:24 PM »
0
I made a little engine progress on my SD50F today. It would be nice to get this one into the paint booth soon.
(Attachment Link)

Very nice! what scheme will it wear?

jpwisc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1321
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +3924
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 09:53:19 PM »
0
...jpwisc -  Sorry, If I missed any previous posts.  Is that shell ALL resin, or a mix of plastic and resin parts?.

Jerry G.

Jerry, it is a resin Kaslo kit. The parts that aren't resin are metal.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

jpwisc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1321
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +3924
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »
0
Very nice! what scheme will it wear?

Ryan, I'm going to try doing this one in the CN stripes scheme.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

fifer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 455
  • Gender: Male
  • Albuquerque Canuel & Tijeras RR
  • Respect: +60
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »
+10
I don't think I posted a picture of my finished BNSF 2229 and its real life counterpart.



Mike
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
 When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
 I wrote ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
 -- John Lennon

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2017, 08:40:09 AM »
0
@fifer - that sir is spot on.  Well done!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
+1
@BCR 570 Looking good Tim, nice to see you still making progress!

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
0
Little upset this past weekend. BNSF Columbia River Sub is no more. Stripped and packed for move. Board with
scenery and track going to good home, a fellow railroader.


Chuck is a Gypsy.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3833
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1378
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »
0
Ryan, I'm going to try doing this one in the CN stripes scheme.

Excited to see it, many of my formative railroad memories are of CN draper tapers...

mu26aeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5868
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4866
Re: Weekend Update 7/23/17
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
0
Didn't you just move?

Pretty sure he sold it, saw it posted on FB for sale.