Author Topic: Using JMRI (v. 4.8) to program a Loksound Function Keys and Lighting (Update 3)  (Read 1258 times)

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +928
UPDATE 3:
After some discussions with Dave Heap, who programmed much of the code for Decoder Pro's support of the LokSound, I've revised the discussion of the automatic ID process - this does in fact work well; the problem is that if you ask JMRI to identify a LokSound Select Micro or a Select Direct, it is likely to highlight both and tell you to pick which one you have before proceeding.  The reason for this is that the Select Direct is in fact just a Micro plugged into a larger board; they are in fact the same decoder, just a different physical format.  Dave also pointed out that there is an easier way to "swap" function key assignments for Drive Hold and Dynamic Brake, which is what I describe in one of the examples, so I also updated that discussion.  Finally, I made clear at the end of the flashing ditch lights example that each increment of the "grade crossing hold time" slider represents .065 seconds.  New file substituted.

UPDATE 2:
Added more screen shots and fixed a couple non-critical typos.  Updated file attached.

UPDATE:

NOW WITH SCREEN SHOTS (courtesy of Rick Brodzinsky).

(updated file attached)

Hi everyone.

After having warned everyone in my previous message not to try to program a LokSound Select using raw CV's, I thought it was only fair for me to write up another tutorial on how to use JMRI's Decoder Pro to do this.  The tutorial is attached as a PDF; I've proofread it, but if you find a typo (or find something that doesn't work as I've described it) let me know.  This tutorial copies some of the background information about ESU's approach to function key programming from my raw CV tutorial; if you've downloaded that and read it, you'll find some repetition here, and the examples are all repeated, though now with reference to the Decoder Pro Function Map, Function Output and Function Settings sheets instead of raw CV's.

The tutorial would be more interesting if I included screen shots; unfortunately, my JMRI setup is done on a Raspberry Pi 3 using Raspbian, and I don't know how to do screen shots on Linux (I barely know how to turn the thing on).  If any of you find this all-text document worthy of screen shots and want to help me out by doing some to add to my effort, HOORAY!   If not, well, illustrations are a modern convenience anyway :)

John C.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:39:34 PM by jdcolombo »

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +928
Typo alert:

On page 14 of the PDF, last paragraph, 3d line, it refers to "Aux2[2] block"  - this should be "Aux2[1]".  We don't need Configuration 2 for our ditch light setup. 

I've corrected the posted PDF.

John C.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:33:30 PM by jdcolombo »

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
John - I've sent you some DecoderPro V4.8 screen shots, using the base LokSound Select Micro project you use for your examples.  Didn't do every example.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N