Author Topic: Laurel Valley Oxford Branch - Modular - Portable -Flexible  (Read 14878 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Laurel Valley Oxford Branch - Layout in a Cabinet
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2017, 02:01:19 PM »

Just promise me that you'll include that kink in the track!  ;)

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »
I know it sounds like heresy, but have you thought about TTRAK? It fits many of the bills, the only two things that don't that I can think of have to do with track:

• Needing to have two tracks.
  • Using Kato Unitrack.

I figure that you can always get around both of those using adapters, or intending it to be a nice standalone thing, but I think the potential for interoperability should not be ignored.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
+1
Just promise me that you'll include that kink in the track!  ;)

DFF

A case where a #7 was used when a #5 would have been best.   :D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »
I know it sounds like heresy, but have you thought about TTRAK? It fits many of the bills, the only two things that don't that I can think of have to do with track:

• Needing to have two tracks.
  • Using Kato Unitrack.

I figure that you can always get around both of those using adapters, or intending it to be a nice standalone thing, but I think the potential for interoperability should not be ignored.

Nope and nope.  Unitrak is still a non-starter.  I also plan to use the modules as a photo bed, so the track will need to be photogenic in a way that Unitrak can't be...no matter how much lipstick is applied...
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »
Nope and nope.  Unitrak is still a non-starter.  I also plan to use the modules as a photo bed, so the track will need to be photogenic in a way that Unitrak can't be...no matter how much lipstick is applied...

Then FreemoN it is . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »
Then FreemoN it is . . . .

We are looking to get that going over here...

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Laurel Valley Oxford Branch - Portable Modular Layout
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »
FreeMoN would be fun to micro detail a specific scene to set up at a roundy round meet, but still having an interest in switch lists and car bumping, I'm still aiming for a self-contained design that can be set up as a comprehensive layout.  I'm also still relatively remote from any N trak club or FreeMo group, so I don't want to build something that spends most of its time in mothballs, or requires my schedule to jibe with everyone else for me to enjoy it.

As such, I may include a "standardized" module as part of the rig, but I still think I'll be digging out the old issues with the Beer line project.  If I recall, there are several modules in the plan that have a "J" track plan, allowing them to be connected into an oval, or set up as a linear track plan for an out and back.

Since I don't have a permanent layout space, this would give me the flexibility to set it up in different configurations depending on which room I'm taking over that day.

Working on all kinds of paid projects this week, but I assure you, the graph paper is close at hand...

Lee
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:54:47 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
FreeMoN would be fun to micro detail a specific scene to set up at a roundy round meet, but still having an interest in switch lists and car bumping, I'm still aiming for a self-contained design that can be set up as a comprehensive layout.  I'm also still relatively remote from any N trak club or FreeMo group, so I don't want to build something that spends most of its time in mothballs, or requires my schedule to jibe with everyone else for me to enjoy it.

As such, I may include a "standardized" module as part of the rig, but I still think I'll be digging out the old issues with the Beer line project.  If I recall, there are several modules in the plan that have a "J" track plan, allowing them to be connected into an oval, or set up as a linear track plan for an out and back.

Since I don't have a permanent layout space, this would give me the flexibility to set it up in different configurations depending on which room I'm taking over that day.

Working on all kinds of paid projects this week, but I assure you, the graph paper is close at hand...

Lee

Those are all exactly the rationale behind Freemo, essentially, just make the ends of what you build compatible, and you're good to go. Make it whatever shape you want and do whatever you want. I'm sure there are plenty of Freemo advocates here who can explain better.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »
You know, in Bernie's 45 Track Plans book he has a oNeTRAK modular setup for the WM East End, albeit in MMID times. Just saying,

Phil
- Phil

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2017, 12:44:48 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the results of your monkey business. The Eastern Shore would make an interesting and unique layout.

I'll be monkeying on around with some sketches to see how far this goes before I change my mind again.
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2017, 12:52:41 AM »
You know, in Bernie's 45 Track Plans book he has a oNeTRAK modular setup for the WM East End, albeit in MMID times. Just saying,

Phil

I was in on that (Thurmont) project but when Matt Schaefer moved on, it really let the air out our collective tires with oNeTRAK at NVNTRAK .

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS