Author Topic: Pulled a Peteski on my Bachmann K4 mech- need some advice  (Read 2877 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Pulled a Peteski on my Bachmann K4 mech- need some advice
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »
+2
Ok so I disassembled one of my Bachmann K4 chassis, (for a future Kittbash) and I will be linking to a Google album later in this thread.

Reserving thoughts, I need som advice. As would be expected, the lube grease was heavy so I pulled an @peteski and ran the chassis and gears through a three minute ultrasonic bath.  Stupid me, I used 901% alcohol and the frame paint came off of one half, no biggie I'm gonna cut this thing up anyway.

The chassis and gears came nice and clean.

Mainly, I am wondering what to lube with at reassembly.  Should I find a light silicone based grease or just use light oil?  I have a bottle of Hob-E-Lube HL661 ultra lite and a tube of Bachmann supplied oil I got when i purchased some parts.

Should i lube the moro bearings whilst i have it out?

Anyway here is the link to the album which will include instructions in the information button if you arrow through the images and turin the "i" button on.

https://goo.gl/photos/aEg2VCPhHzvPBP6F8

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Pulled a Peteski on my Bachmann K4 mech- need some advice
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
+1
Nice pictorial John!

I use VM&P Naphtha for my ultrasonic bath and it doesn't seem to attack paint.

As far as lubes go, I don't use any silicone-based lubes on my models.  I do use the Hob-E-Lubes. Light oil for all the shafts (motor, worm) and axles,  and White grease with Teflon to very lightly lube the plastic gears (which is probably not really needed).  For metal gears I use the Moly-lube (agan lightly applied).

It shouldn't hurt to lube the motor bearings (even though it is most likely lubricated already).
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »
+1
Thanks Pete!  Any brand name on the grease?  Auto parts store?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 07:46:05 PM »
+2
Thanks Pete!  Any brand name on the grease?  Auto parts store?

No, all are Hob-E-Lube brand.  Probably 25 years ago I bought a set of Hob-E-Lube oils and greases and that is what I still use.

It is the 7-pack assortment ( http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/HL650/page/1 )

To apply small amounts I made an oil and grease applicator.  I took a stainless steel straight pin (it is 0.020" diameter), cut the head off and flattened the dull end.  I then mounted the sharp ind in a piece of 1/8" acrylic handle.  Then I put a dollop of grease and a drop of oil then I dip the applicator in the lube I want to use, then apply it to the areas which have to be lubricated.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:55:10 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »
Peteski is the lube master for all your lubrication needs, as long as its KY Jelly. Or maybe in his case, KI Jelly.

I'll see myself out.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:04:41 PM »
+1
While we're talkin'. Can you recommend a good and low cost ultrasonic cleaner.  I see a bunch on ebay, but afraid to buy. I guess a good one will preforate aluminum foil.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 12:43:39 AM »
While we're talkin'. Can you recommend a good and low cost ultrasonic cleaner.  I see a bunch on ebay, but afraid to buy. I guess a good one will preforate aluminum foil.

I can't really offer any advice. Mine is a tiny unit is too small to fully immerse even a GP7 chassis.  Its original use was to clean Koh-i-noor plotter pens.  I got it for free about 30 years ago when the company I worked for at that time was scrapping the plotter.

If there are units which can perforate aluminum foil, do you really need such a powerful unit for tiny precision model RR items?  There are lots of units for cleaning jewelry. If I was going to buy a new one I would look for an oval-shaped one so I could fully immerse even the longest N scale loco frames.

Josh, KY lubricant is water-based so it will cause corrosion on steel parts. It works best on warm, moist, soft and squishy parts (you know, naughty-bits).   :)  Then, as you mentioned, KY is more of your kind of lube. Maybe someone should start selling the KI lube; it would be a big hit in the Polish community.  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:46:00 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 02:10:02 AM »
Micro Mark does have a couple ultrasonic cleaners for sale.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 03:40:37 AM »
+1
Micro Mark does have a couple ultrasonic cleaners for sale.

And probably double the price of the same unit found elsewhere.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 07:17:55 AM »
+1

@Chris333 , I bought this one from Amazon.  It works great, and yes I still use it to clean my FUD/FXD parts in 10 minutes.

Long parts like a 70 foot roof won't fit though. But for everything else it works great $28

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0142G8ONC/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_tai_R-lyzbWEKF6SG

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:26:55 AM by Lemosteam »

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 10:11:56 PM »
Can you shoot a pic inside the shell? Specifically where the Belpaire boiler is? Thinking about a possible bash into a New Haven I4. Would file the square shoulders off the boiler and figure out how to close the gaps.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
Can you shoot a pic inside the shell? Specifically where the Belpaire boiler is? Thinking about a possible bash into a New Haven I4. Would file the square shoulders off the boiler and figure out how to close the gaps.

fwiw:
it might be easier to use a newer MRC/MP 4-6-2 as it too is DCC with sound and sans the belpaire boiler
just a mention for whatever good it may serve
sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »

@Specter3 , added three more pics for you, two with addiditonal dimensions you might need and one of the inside of the boiler.

Also added some driver, pilot and trailing truck wheel dimensions. 

@peteski thanks for the tip on the oils and grease.  Bought the Teflon grease today.

Ok so one last observation.  Either the paint on the frame serves as electrical isolation or Bachmann did an incredible job designing the boiler shell to have an installed gap between the metal boiler shell and the chassis, I think the latter, personally.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 09:18:08 PM »

Ok so one last observation.  Either the paint on the frame serves as electrical isolation or Bachmann did an incredible job designing the boiler shell to have an installed gap between the metal boiler shell and the chassis, I think the latter, personally.

I guess you'll find out now. :-)
. . . 42 . . .

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 01:48:36 AM »
+1
John,

After a quick look and having already seen the shape of the frame and how it does not have a Belpaire shape do you think the shoulders of the boiler are solid?

Gary

I have an older MP 4-6-2 and I do like it and it runs well. But it has such small drivers. The NH I3s and I4s had 79 inch drivers and the MP doesn't even come close. Shave the Belpaire and the K4 is very close in nearly all other aspects.