Author Topic: Injection molded M1 Abrams Tank by MTL  (Read 3599 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Injection molded M1 Abrams Tank by MTL
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 06:29:57 PM »
And what flat could you use to haul those Arcitec models? The MTL car is too new for the tank's era. And mine.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Snark45

• Crew
  • But Dad, don't we EAT the antelopes?
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 10:38:20 PM »
+1
Well, the traveling weight of a M48 was about 50 tons...  I assumed they were hauled around singly on regular AAR 70-ton flats.

Here's a M26 (46 tons) being placed on what appears to be a regular 40 ft flatcar...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:09:43 PM by Snark45 »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 11:09:48 PM »
Re:  Reply #10:

https://www.reynaulds.com/products/Artitec/1160015.aspx

[Artitec #1160016 is visibly different from the 1950's American version of this tank]

Nice catch - thanks!

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 01:07:13 AM »
+1
if this does well and by our accounting it seems to be, then I can make the case for more of them.  I've wanted to do some sort of truck we can use across multiple platforms...like a modern-ish Mack with different chassis.  We are getting more and more into TOFC and it makes sense to have accessories.

Joe

Joe,

That is very encouraging!

Any chance of 28-ft and/or 53-ft intermodel trailers to go with the tractors?  And, we could use some injection molded container chassis as well.
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »
+2
Suggestion:   HEMTT  transport and tankers.....

Even more common to see a train of these than tanks.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »
Good deal.

The external difference between an M1 and M1A1 isn't that bad. But that CITV would completely RUIN my layout... lol.

I'm waiting for the M1b.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1949
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 10:42:47 PM »
Maybe Hemmitts will be in the future!
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:45:40 PM by jpwisc »
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
if this does well and by our accounting it seems to be, then I can make the case for more of them.  I've wanted to do some sort of truck we can use across multiple platforms...like a modern-ish Mack with different chassis.  We are getting more and more into TOFC and it makes sense to have accessories.

Joe

Joe,

Sorry for the long delay in asking this question, but I have been mulling this over for a while now, and would a Mack Vision qualify as a modern-ish Mack?
Carter

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
Joe,

Sorry for the long delay in asking this question, but I have been mulling this over for a while now, and would a Mack Vision qualify as a modern-ish Mack?

Carter - could you share a photo and date range? It might help this discussion.....
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

PeyRil

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 08:21:26 PM »
Here in Charleston, Sc I've seen all kinds of equipment going in and out of the SDDC port. Alot of the times it seems like a whole company's equipment returning home from over seas. Everything from trucks, humvees, HEMTTs(tankers, flats, wreckers), fork lifts, MRAPs, loaders, dozers, trailers, containers... you name it. So I guess anything goes, as far as what is actually protypical.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1531
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »
We get a military train a week down here going between New Orleans and Mobile. Usually battalion strength and most often engineer battalions. We have had one tank battalion and one hospital with lots of ambulances.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 11:47:12 PM »
Carter - could you share a photo and date range? It might help this discussion.....

James,

The Mack Vision was introduced in 1999, and it was replaced by the Mack Pinnacle in 2006.  However, the Pinnacle looks so much like the Vision, that in N scale, it might be able to represent either truck with the same model.  The Pinnacle is still in production.  Here is a link to a UPS Mack Vision.  http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/charles_danko/2008/11-04/10-25-07-secaucus-pics-304.jpg

Another option that might work even better for Micro-Trains would be a Mack CH Series.  The CH Series was introduced in 1988, and continued in production at least into the early 2000s.  I am not sure what year the last CH rolled off the assembly line, but I do know the Vision and CH Series were in production (at least for a while) at the same time, and in the same assembly plant.  Here is a link to a UPS Mack CH 612.  http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/greg_elgart/2013/02-15/dsc_0346.jpg

I thought it might be helpful to Joe if I could find photos of the Macks pulling "intermodal" loads.   :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:49:17 PM by cfritschle »
Carter

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »
James,

The Mack Vision was introduced in 1999, and it was replaced by the Mack Pinnacle in 2006.  However, the Pinnacle looks so much like the Vision, that in N scale, it might be able to represent either truck with the same model.  The Pinnacle is still in production.  Here is a link to a UPS Mack Vision.  http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/charles_danko/2008/11-04/10-25-07-secaucus-pics-304.jpg

Another option that might work even better for Micro-Trains would be a Mack CH Series.  The CH Series was introduced in 1988, and continued in production at least into the early 2000s.  I am not sure what year the last CH rolled off the assembly line, but I do know the Vision and CH Series were in production (at least for a while) at the same time, and in the same assembly plant.  Here is a link to a UPS Mack CH 612.  http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/greg_elgart/2013/02-15/dsc_0346.jpg

I thought it might be helpful to Joe if I could find photos of the Macks pulling "intermodal" loads.   :D

Thanks Carter - agreed, the CH might offer wider era appeal for MTL and sits pretty well timeline wise with the 48' Husky.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's