Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Help
Login
Register
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
Prototype Railroads: News, Photos, Research
»
Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks? (Read 1430 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
nickelplate759
Crew
Posts: 3844
Respect:
+1591
Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?
«
on:
June 21, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »
0
Often I see coaling towers (on model railroads, I don't often see them in the wild) where the coal deliver track is slightly elevated relative to the engine servicing tracks. I'm wondering why, and how common the practice was. Was it simply to avoid having to dig underground to make room for an unloading bin?
In case it isn't clear what I'm referring to, it's the rear (raised) track in this picture of the Walthers Concrete Coaling Tower (that I wish they offered in N-scale):
Logged
George
NKPH&TS #3628
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Chris333
Crew
Posts: 19615
Respect:
+6938
Re: Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?
«
Reply #1 on:
June 21, 2017, 11:12:35 PM »
0
I'd look for real prototype photos instead of models. I have no idea why the track is raised.
No elevation here:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MTtfRJp43Og/UOl4_i3BdBI/AAAAAAAAAj8/f3mbR17DDRY/s1600/Alkem+coal+dock+diiorama.jpg
Elevation here:
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/photos/cnr_facilities/coal_tower_Beeton.jpg
Little elevation here:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7232/7181574469_a4691329c7_k.jpg
«
Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:17:32 PM by Chris333
»
Logged
nickelplate759
Crew
Posts: 3844
Respect:
+1591
Re: Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?
«
Reply #2 on:
June 21, 2017, 11:25:59 PM »
0
Hmm - the CN tower looks like they raised the track enough that they didn't have to dig to make room for the unloading hopper, but the Cedar Hill tower drawing clearly shows an elevated track and a below-grade unloading hopper. That's a big tower!
Logged
George
NKPH&TS #3628
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
nkalanaga
Crew
Posts: 10590
Respect:
+1771
Re: Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?
«
Reply #3 on:
June 22, 2017, 01:56:06 AM »
0
I suspect that, in some areas, it was partly to avoid having the unloading pit flood in wet weather. For a modern coaling tower, with power machinery, digging a pit wouldn't be any harder than digging the holes for the tower foundation.
Logged
N Kalanaga
Be well
Ed Kapuscinski
Global Moderator
Crew
Posts: 26106
Head Kino
Respect:
+11601
Re: Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?
«
Reply #4 on:
June 22, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »
0
I'm not sure, but I have a theory... many of these towers were essentially "stock" items from manufacturers. If that were the case, my bet would be that they did this so that they only had to design the hoist machinery once, for one height (starting at 0 elevation).
Logged
Visit:
Conrail1285.com
&
Railfanning.Kapuscinski.net
Join:
TheCRHS.org
thomasjmdavis
Crew
Posts: 4382
Respect:
+1269
Re: Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?
«
Reply #5 on:
June 22, 2017, 11:49:09 AM »
0
Since we are talking theories, my own theory is that it may have been the simplest and cheapest way to expand the capacity of an existing pit when a higher capacity tower was installed, or when the railroad upgraded to larger hoppers.
Logged
Tom D.
I gave up rivet counting when I couldn't see an N scale rivet anymore.
nkalanaga
Crew
Posts: 10590
Respect:
+1771
Re: Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?
«
Reply #6 on:
June 23, 2017, 02:08:11 AM »
0
Both also good theories. As many different tower designs as there were, I'd imagine that there were also a lot of reasons.
Logged
N Kalanaga
Be well
narrowminded
Crew
Posts: 2305
Respect:
+743
Re: Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?
«
Reply #7 on:
June 23, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »
0
Standardized design that can be installed just about anywhere that you can make a level spot, installation ease, flooding potential, and especially ease of equipment maintenance/ replacement being at or just above grade. I would suggest it's just good engineering practice given that set of design parameters.
Logged
Mark G.
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
Prototype Railroads: News, Photos, Research
»
Why did coaling towers have raised delivery tracks?