Author Topic: Gold Medal Models steps installation  (Read 2803 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
Gold Medal Models steps installation
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »
I purchased a few sets of Gold Medal Models etched brass heavyweight passenger car step kits. They are really nice and fairly simple to build. My problem is that as built they don't fit the cars they were made for. They will look great, but don't allow room for the truck and a truck mounted coupler.
Interested in what others have done to make them work.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
Re: Gold Medal Models steps installation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
I have a hunch you are putting them on Bachmann heavyweight 60' cars  ;)

I haven't tried those, only Rivarossi heavyweights.  Even there a truck-mounted coupler doesn't work, and I converted to body mounts.  I can't think of a way to keep the truck-mounted couplers.

As far as the trucks go, here are a few ideas to consider (I don't have the car handy right now to investigate):

1. if the truck is partly behind the steps, can you trim off enough of it to make allow it to work without it looking horrible?
2.  If the truck fits but doesn't turn enough - how much do you need it to turn?
3.  could you move the truck center towards the center of the car and get it to work - again without it looking horrible?   Remember that the an off-center truck bolster hole is OK, and can reduce the effective truck swing on the short end (like on the Micro-trains heavyweights).

George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

mecgp7

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »
Actually, they are going on old Con Cor, Lima and Model Power cars. The body mount coupler is not an issue as I was headed that way anyway. Truck mounted allow me to run them until I can convert them.
I, too, thought of moving the truck, but what a PITA on the several cars that I have. Thought of shaving the truck, but I think it'll show. My next thought is to somehow modify the steps although I haven't got any idea how.
For now the passengers need to jump out. Maybe I can get a bunch of those stairs that the airlines use!

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »
I'm not sure its a good idea, but I did mount the steps on a sheet of thin styrene that was glued to the coupler box, so that on a sharp curve the steps rotated out with the coupler.

I'll admit on a curve it looked pretty stupid, but less stupid than not having steps.

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:55:11 PM »
+1
I'm puzzled then.  I've put these steps on Rivarossi cars and with body mounted couplers and the stock trucks they worked just fine.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

sixpakpop

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 06:22:03 PM »
These pages worked for me when I did it. Good luck

http://www.prr-parts.com/Page3.html
OOO
OOO <~~~the SixPak sig~~

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:38 PM »
+2
I know you already have your GMM frets, but thought I'd share my experience with them.

I tried a set of GMM step on my Polar Express and did not like them, because of they way they mount and because of how easy they are to break off.  I also found it very difficult to locate them relative to the door center in a consistent manner...

So I designed these I have similar versions for Lima, MP and Rivarossi/CC cars (shown):

They have integral, snap in coupler pockets that will work with 1015/6 and I think the new scale couplers.

RR/CC
https://www.shapeways.com/product/3BZ3TXX6C/n-scale-4pk-steps-for-atlas-concor-rivarossi-heavy

Lima/MP:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/E3PYXBD87/4-pack-n-scale-prr-steps-for-lima-mp-cars

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »
What an ingenious design.  I sure could use something like that for my BCH caboose. The coupler is to be mounted under a very thin walk way. No way I can use a screw.

Craig

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 12:25:02 AM »
So I designed these I have similar versions for Lima, MP and Rivarossi/CC cars (shown):

You need to do a three step version, which was what was common on most heavyweights.  The 4-step version was only used on some Pullman cars.

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 01:31:59 AM »
You need to do a three step version, which was what was common on most heavyweights.  The 4-step version was only used on some Pullman cars.

Agreed that a 3-step version would be nice.  However, according to Tom Madden's "Pullman Project" site, http://pullmanproject.com/ , the Pullman Car Construction Records show that a considerable number of cars that were originally built with the 3-step version were retrofitted with the 4-step version in the 1930s.  Certainly, the two Plan 2410F cars (originally Pullman "Faunce" and "Cyprus") that were acquired by the Pacific Great Eastern in 1947 received the 4-step version prior to sale by Pullman.

Regards,

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
BRILLIANT! So much better and easier than the GMM. Now I just need to find how many I need so I can order some.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »
I can certainly respect all the opinions here, but I just haven't encountered the issues stated here with the GMM steps...
~Bruce

"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 02:31:58 PM »
However, according to Tom Madden's "Pullman Project" site, http://pullmanproject.com/ , the Pullman Car Construction Records show that a considerable number of cars that were originally built with the 3-step version were retrofitted with the 4-step version in the 1930s.

Not nearly as many as you think...

Take a look at my Pullman car roster pages (based on info Tom has in the Car Construction Record) and you will see a lot of 3Ts where steps are listed.  Some were rebuilt, some were equipped initially but there were still a number of cars that had three steps, including a large number of cars sold to railroads...

PULLMAN PLAN 2585D/2585E 10 SECTION - 1 DRAWING ROOM - 2 COMPARTMENT CAR NAMES
PULLMAN PLAN 2410H/3410/3410A 12 SECTION - 1 DRAWING ROOM CAR NAMES
PULLMAN PLAN 2416C/2416D/3416 PARLOR CAR NAMES
PULLMAN PLAN 3585 10 SECTION - 1 DRAWING ROOM - 2 COMPARMENT CAR NAMES
PULLMAN PLAN 3950/3959 OBSERVATION CAR NAMES  The only plan where 4T steps were a majority.

This is one reason the GMM steps are so valuable... they are three tier.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:34:11 PM by jmlaboda »

mecgp7

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »
I can certainly respect all the opinions here, but I just haven't encountered the issues stated here with the GMM steps...
~Bruce

Part of the difference is that I have reduced the gap between the top of the truck and the bottom of the car. In essence lowering the car and improving the looks (to me). I am also trying to get the bottom of the steps close to the bottom of the steps on the MTL cars. Regardless, on the Con Cor car, the steps don't fit without modifying the car and the trucks.

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 07:34:55 PM »
Part of the difference is that I have reduced the gap between the top of the truck and the bottom of the car. In essence lowering the car and improving the looks (to me). I am also trying to get the bottom of the steps close to the bottom of the steps on the MTL cars. Regardless, on the Con Cor car, the steps don't fit without modifying the car and the trucks.

Lowering the car may not be the best way to achieve that. It's already about the right height.   It's not super obvious, but the trucks that come with the Con-Cor / Rivarossi car are actually too small.   Lowering the car may help the looks, but using the right size trucks might actually look better.  Micro-trains makes trucks the right size - not the ones that have truck-mounted couplers (those are the same size as the Con-Cor/Rivarossi trucks), but the new ones that come with the Micro-trains heavyweight cars.   You will need to drill a new pivot point on the truck bolster - and body-mount couplers.
George
NKPH&TS #3628