Author Topic: A new vid for the Pennsy nerds...  (Read 830 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
A new vid for the Pennsy nerds...
« on: June 16, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »
+3
Not mine but it's just recently uploaded so many may not have seen it.  Some interesting footage, especially plowing snow with the Baldwin.

Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
Re: A new vid for the Pennsy nerds...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:14:39 PM »
+1
Center cabs are cool.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 06:29:05 PM »
Doug Nelson for the win!
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
I'm surprised and very glad that this had sound. Those old school Baldwins sounded great! Sort of like a cammed out Big Block V8...

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
I'm surprised and very glad that this had sound. Those old school Baldwins sounded great! Sort of like a cammed out Big Block V8...

If you looked at the direct YouTube page, you'll have seen the note that the sound was added after-the-fact from the poster's sound library. I suspected as much since this was obviously 8mm film and there were no consumer 8mm "with sound" cameras at the time.

But that said... !!!... he did a great job dubbing the sound. A much, much better job than, say, several releases of the Emery Gulash 16mm films of that era. Having heard Baldwins "in the wild", the audio was darned close if not spot on, especially the center-cabs. The tractor-like clatter is distinctive, and the effort to even address Doppler was impressive. Tip o' the hat to the YouTube contributor.

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »
If you looked at the direct YouTube page, you'll have seen the note that the sound was added after-the-fact from the poster's sound library. I suspected as much since this was obviously 8mm film and there were no consumer 8mm "with sound" cameras at the time.

But that said... !!!... he did a great job dubbing the sound. A much, much better job than, say, several releases of the Emery Gulash 16mm films of that era. Having heard Baldwins "in the wild", the audio was darned close if not spot on, especially the center-cabs. The tractor-like clatter is distinctive, and the effort to even address Doppler was impressive. Tip o' the hat to the YouTube contributor.

Ah ok that makes sense for 8mm. It sure sounded as if it was a track side, sound synced recording. It had me fooled!